Catastrophic event "shtf"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would think that a M134 and lots of ammo would come in handy.

video-undefined-1B145CBE00000578-738_636x358.jpg

Soooooo expensive to fire though.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Miller88
If you stockpile food in NY, the police will raid you ...

They must be a hungry lot.

I'd have figured Colorado or Washington police would do this.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Miller88
If you stockpile food in NY, the police will raid you ...

They must be a hungry lot.

This is why you don't stockpile donuts.

I watched an ep of that Doomsday Preppers show. Guys build a bunker with flamethrowers in the stairwell and a periscope. All well and good, but it seems like anyone who wanted to take them out could just choke off their air supply lines / inlets with smoke or more noxious substances.

/shrug

Pretty sure I'll live to a ripe old age and not succumb to zombie apocalypse / ebola / mad max raiders. See you guys in 60 years, let's take a bet who is still around, shall we?

On a serious note, I really need to get a kit together. Actual usable stuff though. My car is prepped with a good first aid kit and supplies but long term stuff (or even another first aid kit) is lacking in my apartment.

Never understood the need for weaponry though, aside from a hunting rifle.

Those prepper shows are simply to make fun of people. Real preppers understand opsec for starters.

We would be OK for a few weeks, if you were talking months (depending on the time of year), all bets are off, with a total breakdown of society.

Even with firearms, you have to sleep sometime.
A few homemade claymores might be in order.

Learned long ago from dad in the army and moving around to different bases. We had hurricanes/blizzards/tornadoes etc.in the different areas. Always try to keep cars at least 1/2 full of fuel, first aid kits, store-able snacks, and water. I also have a backpack with a full change of clothes, sweatshirt and pants, rain gear.

If you have generator buy some extra 5gal cans now. We had Hurricane Sandy here and no power for days, some places weeks. Gas stations didn't have generators to power fuel pumps. Those with power had no fuel and couldn't get deliveries. I have 10gal filled that I use for OPE. I also rotate that and use it in car every 1-2 months then refill the cans. I have 4 empty gal cans that I can fill if needed. I do that before any significant storm is forecasted as well as fill both vehicles and all power equipment. Also start and test all saws/generators at least once month. Get CASH and keep somewhere. Fill propane tanks so you can BBQ (pending your wood/firepit/wood stove scenario.

Wise Food Company has some decent meals in 5 gal buckets that can be stored for a long time.

Total SHTF and most plans will be done anyway so you'll need to work through it then. Not real expensive to be prepared for a week self sufficient almost like camping. Worst part about Sandy was listening to the wife, kids and father-in-law whine about no television. I wasn't running generator for hours just to watch movies, too bad, read a book, cable was out also for regular TV. Not knowing how long power out (mine was 4 days) Fuel was being saved to power Fridge/Freezer a couple times a day and run boiler for heat and hot showers.

Winter- cars add avalanche shovel (it folds small) some warm gear, polar fleece blankets, and some tea light candle with holder. Amazing how much heat can be generated by that small flame.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
Those prepper shows are simply to make fun of people. Real preppers understand opsec for starters.

LOL, a person drawn cart/boat when it was on here last night, and the bug-out bunker miles away on an unplowed road had me seriously chuckling.

You are right.

Yes, you are correct when you say God will not allow the earth to be destroyed as it was in the day of Noah, (hence the rainbow), but famine has plagued our world for thousands of years, (consider the reason Jacob sent his sons to Egypt in the book of Genesis).

Some famines are man made, like the "Dust Bowl" of the 1930's, (brought on through poor farming practices - the every famous "rain follows the plow"), or the Great Russian Famine of 1921-22 and again in 1932-33, (the result of political policies, the persecution of the "Kulaks" and the "Volga Germans"), where an estimated 6 million people died of starvation, (do an internet search on the "Russian Holodomor").

Is it possible that history could repeat itself and millions of people die from mass starvation?

Very possible.

I don't think that the flying Spaghetti Monster has claimed to have invented refraction, as either reward or punishment, but is doing great work to reduce starvation, particularly in relation to end days preparedness.

http://www.heinz.com.au/Our-Products/Beans-and-Pasta/Spaghetti/Spaghetti-in-Extra-Cheese-Sauce

Preppers can buy mislabelled bulk items at vastly reduced prices. There's providence in that happenstance people.

http://www.spcardmonafactorysales.com.au/products/spc-ardmona/baked-beans-spaghetti

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I intend on looking unprepared to the neighbors, while being prepared; no sense drawing attention to myself or my home.

One should also be prepared that on day 3, one's wife will offer her extended family shares of your stash, and be blabbing about it on her cell phone or facebook which for the moment is still sorta working. If this happens before the wires go down, the last thing her friends are going to remember is that you have food or are being coy. They'll have lots of time to ponder that.

Also beware the bump of optimism after an emergency. Katrina showed us, hey, the tall buildings are standing, and the SuperDome too! Then the sanitary problems surfaced. Sandy had a burp in gasoline distribution then suddenly everyone was hording it, and idling in long lines, wasting more gas. Your problem entering a siege is not knowing the outcome. If you have 20 gallons of gas on hand you don't know if you need it for three days or three months. You'll look like a stingy scrooge if you only allow an hour of TV/fridge in the evening if the lights come back on tomorrow. Then they'll make fun of you for being a "prepper" but not using your "skills" during a "routine storm". This could demote your "hobby" and starve it of funding, space, attention, or protection for the future when you "need it".

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Being unobserved, laying low and not drawing attention is pretty important...

This will be the real trick when rampaging mobs boil out of the cities into suburban areas. The sound of a running genset will be their call to come see you...

Anybody remember the Movie: "Dawn of the Dead"??

If you're the one with all the food, it may be like that!

We don't do anything special, but with a winters worth of firewood, and hay for the goats(1 ton of meat on the hoof), I guess we are in not bad shape. I sort of think we should have a few tons of turnips in a root cellar to feed to the animals and us if need be, but I've never bothered.
We thought about it during the SARS outbreak in toronto years ago and now with the very minute possibility of a serious ebola outbreak, that we really don't need to leave the farm for months if we had too.
If society totally broke down, I don't know, I'd think our local community would form a government/militia and the unprepared urbanites would have ask politely for food. Otherwise we'd be overrun individually.

I'll add this. Anything you need in a months time would be a good idea to have it on hand. Having a weeks supply is good, month even better and several months even better yet. Most people should be OK with a month but not everyone. As several have mentioned storms here, I won't go further on that. What I have found prepping to be handy with is those emergencies that pop up at times. I had a brother that was diagnosed with cancer. I took him to his treatments which was every day for months. It was a 60 or 70 mile trip one way. That costs gas and he wasn't able to work. I shifted from buying groceries to living off my prepping supplies so that I could buy gas. I never thought about using my prepping supplies for that. Storms, sure. Illness in the family, not like that for sure.

Food, water, some means to cook previous, power if you can and fuel to make it with, some sort of entertainment whether it is books, games etc etc. Again, just go over what you use in a month and adjust for seasonal times, then make a plan. Sometimes just buying a little extra with each trip will build up a healthy supply over time. It also spreads the costs out too.

If you run into a bad time for whatever reason, something is better than nothing. Storms is a really common thing for some but a serious illness in the family could make those prepping supplies come in handy as well. I thought it worth mentioning since I had never thought about it coming in handy for that either.

^ Yeah and even dumb stuff like making a meat loaf ahead of time when you get 10lbs of meat cheap, and putting it in the freezer, helps. I broke my ankle and living life was significantly more complicated.

Having stuff like paper plates and hand sanitizer comes in handy, even if it's just to cover for a broken dishwasher all weekend. I had to use "pee hands" on my crutches or my old-man-handrail to get from the toilet to the sink... alcohol goo was just the ticket to smear over these germy surfaces.

Stuff like cases of toilet paper and extra trash bags are handy to have around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back