Catastrophic event "shtf"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lawman1909

By extremists i mean those who build underground bunkers, military amounts of ammo, 100+ weapons, spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on preps, etc. I completely agree with storing food and water, even some gas and oil and rotating it out on a semi-frequent basis.

How bout not worrying about others? In certain scenarios any of those things could be considered pretty nice to have handy. If you believe nothing will ever happen and help is right around the corner stock up the three days of supplies and be happy. History shows us that war, disasters, famine, plague, etc are very common so preparing for them isn't extreme.

Last edited:
Haha seriously? I'm not worrying about others.. just think its silly to spend ones retirement on a bunker.. If it really were that bad, a couple shipping containers and reinforced walls wouldnt keep anyone alive much longer, if at all. But seriously, no need to sound aggressive. We are all fellow BITOG'ers!

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: strat81
Gold has been a medium of exchange for thousands of years. It has survived the collapse of empires and the genocides of people.

Has it? Or has it just always come back into fashion at some point well after people had the real necessities of life covered?

Stories abound from The Holocaust of Jews using gold to buy themselves out of the area, as well as in the black markets of the ghettos. I'd consider that a SHTF event.

Of course, if my property is flooding, sandbags are probably way more important than gold. But sandbags would be more important at that immediate moment than probably any other item - tools, weapons, toilet paper, food, water, medicine, etc.

Something else that's about as "useful" as gold that is almost always in demand: booze.

People spend their retirement on dumber things than bunkers. Or the dumbest thing of all. Pinch pinnies and hoard money their entire lives to pass on to kids that blow it up their nose. Someone wants a bunker with a rack of guns the entire length, good for them.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Stories abound from The Holocaust of Jews using gold to buy themselves out of the area, as well as in the black markets of the ghettos. I'd consider that a SHTF event.

You might. I wouldn't.

Go ahead and accuse me of having little to no faith in humanity, but I could see total collapse of the US power grid as a realistic SHTF event. That or an eruption of Yellowstone, but we'd have warning of that.

Oh, and booze was originally developed as a safe way to get water into people when no sanitation existed. I'd hardly call that useless.

Last edited:
It never hurts to be totally prepared for 72 hours with good nutrient rich portable foods in a backpack by the door. Just knowing that for 72 hours that your body will be nourished by food alleviates a basic subconscious human stressor from being the forefront of your mind functions and thought processes. This frees up your brain to figure out what you are going to do next with more purpose and clarity than it otherwise would have.

The reason for the 72 kit by the door is that having it ready allows you to stay or get out, either way, you have that 72 hour window with you. If you do nothing else, assemble a 72 hour kit.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Those prepper shows are simply to make fun of people. Real preppers understand opsec for starters.

That and to sell ignorant morons a bunch of [censored] they don't need.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
It never hurts to be totally prepared for 72 hours with good nutrient rich portable foods in a backpack by the door. Just knowing that for 72 hours that your body will be nourished by food alleviates a basic subconscious human stressor from being the forefront of your mind functions and thought processes. This frees up your brain to figure out what you are going to do next with more purpose and clarity than it otherwise would have.

The reason for the 72 kit by the door is that having it ready allows you to stay or get out, either way, you have that 72 hour window with you. If you do nothing else, assemble a 72 hour kit.

Absolutely. Very little cost and a lot of piece of mind.

Something else you can do for nothing is make a checklist of things to put in your vehicle(which should be at least half full) if you have time and opportunity. Under stress you'll probably overdo some things and forget others.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Absolutely. Very little cost and a lot of piece of mind.

Something else you can do for nothing is make a checklist of things to put in your vehicle(which should be at least half full) if you have time and opportunity. Under stress you'll probably overdo some things and forget others.

We have this one in a closet by our back door:
Ready America 70280 Grab-'n-Go Emergency Kit, 2-Person, 3-Day Backpack
http://www.amazon.com/Ready-America-70280-Grab-n-Go-Emergency/dp/B000FJQQVI

For $40 it was an easy purchase.

I don't mean to sound harsh but . . .

To those who plan on "heading out to the woods/mountains/wilderness," keep in mind you will be in competition with hundreds, maybe thousands of others who have the same idea and you will find yourself competing over the same limited resources. That's assuming the "woods" setting you plan on heading toward is government land. If it's privately owned, I dare say the owner will have something to say about you moving onto his or her property, (and they'll probably say it with some kind of loaded weapon). The days of Davy Crocket are long gone and the world is an over crowded place.

Even if you do happen to find some happy little valley that is known to no other man, are you prepared to carry in all you will need to survive? Are you physically fit enough to swing an axe for a long period of time to build some kind of shelter that will shelter you from winters cold snowy weather, or are you going to be like "Bearman" in the remake of "True Grit" and when asked for shelter proclaim, "I have my bear skin." How about firewood to provide light, warmth and heat to cook food?

Even in third world countries, where people are accustomed to living on very little and well versed in doing without, (something we in America are woefully unaccustomed to), when the SHTF, they die, plain and simple.

In my opinion, the absolutely best thing you can do in the event of a SHTF event is simply stay home, no matter where that "home" may be.

You have shelter. You know the area. Look around now and catalog resources. Where will you find water in the event your tap runs dry. Food, can you grow your own?

The key to survival is not the "lone wolf" method. The key to survival is community, (as it has been since time began). Start building relationships now. The stronger the bond in a current community means a tightknit working colony if and when the SHTF. Be the leader, organize, take charge, show the way. People will rally to you as you will be the one with vision and courage. Be prepared to make hard decisions and tough choices.

As for stockpiling gold and silver, quite frankly, I don't care how much gold or silver you have stockpiled. If there is a total breakdown in society, any kind of currency will be worthless. Why should I sell you my food when I can't eat your gold? Given a choice, I will feed my family rather than cling to the corpse of the old world system of monetary exchange. Yes, there will come a time when things stabilize and gold and silver will once again have their value, but I have to live through the SHTF event to get to that point.

Learn skills now. Make a hobby of it. If you axe handle breaks, (or shovel handle, hoe handle, etc), do you have the skills to make another one by hand with materials you have at hand?

Do you know how to dress a wound? Are you familiar with how to treat illnesses? Buy a book now, because the internet in such an event will not be available, (which means no asking on Bitog).

Can you process and can food? Can you turn corn into "corn likker"? Do you know how to prepare the meat you just killed? Can you fish? Do you know what plants growing in the wild are edible and which ones will either kill you or make you sick? If you plan on growing your own food, do you know what to plant when, where and how? Do you know when it's ripe and do you know what to use to keep it free of pests and diseases? Do you know what kind of fertilizer to use and when to use it and how much to use? Do you have the seeds you need NOW, (Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart will be closed). Can you make your own soap, your own clothes, your own shoes?

Read, read, read, read. Do it now.

The more skills you possess for the betterment of the community, the more valuable YOU are, (see the difference between personal value and monetary value - someone can kill you and take your gold, but they can't take your skills and knowledge so you become worth more alive than dead).

Be the one with the vision which will lead your community back to stability and safety and not only you will survive, but others will survive because of you.

the u.s. debt is "about" 16/17 trillion, and several trillion of this debt is owned by china, korea, and japan.logic dictates that, at some point, on it's current path, there has to be a financial collapse.this crazy amount of debt is unsustainable.if and when this happens, the financial system collapse of '08 will pale in comparison. we all know that it lead to a worldwide recession -- nearly a depression.much of the world is still crawling out this recession.
any future "collapse" would certainly be a shtf scenario.
one poster made me laugh, stating that the urban people would go into the country areas, and ask for food/ supplies -- something to that effect.they won't ask, they will take.
"should", god forbid, a collapse in the u.s. happen, the rest of the world will follow, as it did in '08 and '09.
I haven't seen any posts from our resident conspiracy theorist. I wonder why? he's likely out buying a million rounds of ammo, and building a bomb shelter.no -- he's likely had a bomb shelter for about 20 years.
an interesting thread. have a good night, all.

IMO, the snowy areas in the US as a whole are terrible about prepping. Last winter when we had our first snow storm, everyone flocked to the grocery store like it was the end of the world stocking up on eggs, bread and milk. (Somehow these are the essentials of life? Carbs, sugar and cholesterol...)People in town were never snowed in. People out in the country were maybe snowed in 3 days if they didn't have a 4x4.

We have at least 2 weeks supply of food between both freezers and a pantry full of canned goods. I would like to think the average house hold would have at least have 72 hrs worth of food.

I don't plan to run into the woods, I never did say that. I believe my neighbors, along with those I work with would be my biggest asset. Staying in a group with like-minded people and in our homes I believe would be the safest bet.

Hope for the best but pray for the worst. I have considered what would happen if catastrophic failure of electrical grid etc. I hope people would band together and help one another and remain civil...but I am not naive enough to know evil people will need to be dealt with with force. If there is a catastrophic event I don't believe it would be like you see in the movies. There won't be zombies in endless droves trying to eat you. I expect there will be prevalent lawlessness however.

I have a shotgun and rifle for hunting...we have endless amounts of rabbits, deer, squirrels and birds around here for eating. I also keep a good stock of all required shotgun shells for hunting various game...including any two legged predators who want to do me harm. Always be self reliant. A country boy can survive.

I prep for hurricanes. I've lived through 4 major storms.

FEMA suggests 3 days of food. After Hurricane Francis, I could not even leave my house for a week due to flooding, massive debris and powerlines all over the place. I suggest 2 weeks food. After that, it's easy to drive to a distant store with food.

A 5500W generator will run a well pump, and it will run a typical 4500W water heater. Just not at the same time. It will also run window AC units and your fridge. Note: A 1000W Honda generator will keep a typical fridge operational. A 5500W generator, if run 24/7 it will consume 15 gallons gas/day.

Oh, we had massive problems with our bad neighbors. They lost part of their roof, and much of their furniture. They got drunk, belligerent and eventually came after me and my wife in a direct attack.

Been there, done that. Everything people say is true. It can be awful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Black Friday shows me how civilization will act in a SHTF situation.

Not sure whether I want to laugh or cry at this, but I am sure that it's true.

If something catastrophic happens where we will incur shortages of food and water, better be prepared for mass riots and looting. I have no love for my fellow citizen. People would be worse than animals.
Best thing to do? Something like a hidden bomb shelter that is totally self sufficient and able to sustain you for a month or so. But if others know about it and discover the shelter....they will do anything to break in and take what you have.
Brandishing weapons, drawing attention to yourself...that would be a prime mistake with a lawless mob. It would be like saying..."Hey, I have something of great value that I'm protecting....I dare you to take it". They will.
Be invisible as possible and tell no one of your preparation plans.

"Hope for the best and pray for the worst." Are you CRAZY?!?! You should have kept that to yourself brother...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back