Catalytic Converter Thefts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a picture somewhere where a person installed sharp screws around the cat area after getting it stolen twice over on a car. I am pretty sure the cat. thief would move on.

I did not know that. Seems strange Washington recently passed a 10 round mag capacity law, and the west side of the state seems to be one of the areas that does not enforce many laws on the books. The eastern side of the state is a different story.

I'm not too sure of the validity of that list, Idaho passed Stand Your Ground in 2018 and it's not on that list.

And, Idaho is not on, The following 23 states have a castle doctrine:

Idaho has had a form of Castle Doctrine forever, but they decided they needed to set it in stone, also in 2018 and they revert back to the legislation/S1313 I listed above, it's a blanket cover they use for both.

A news clip:
MERIDIAN, Idaho (CBS 2) — Idaho law has long protected not only the right to bear arms but the right to use them in defense of life and property.

Under Idaho's Castle Doctrine, updated and strengthened in 2018, you have the right not only to defend your house with lethal force, but also your yard, your place of business, and even your car. (Click here to read Senate Bill 1313 from 2018.)

I did not know that. Seems strange Washington recently passed a 10 round mag capacity law ...
I researched that too, and that law does not exist. It was in the state legistature earlier this year, but it has not become a law yet. It could in the future, but it doesnt exist now.

I researched that too, and that law does not exist. It was in the state legistature earlier this year, but it has not become a law yet. It could in the future, but it doesnt exist now.
Fake news! lol, I thought it had become law there, but I try as hard as I can not to step foot in Spokane Washington. Reminds me too much of being back in California and I get the hebiejebie's...

I remember the last time I actually sold a cat to a salvage yard around 2013, I had to provide proof of replacement, and the guy actually did look at the receipt. I guess for some it's worth it to look the other way now.

It seems like every business around here that has fleets of gas box trucks gets hit. I'm not sure if any Express/Savana cutaways in Birmingham still have their cats. Not sure if Econolines get hit as bad, but everyone I know with a GM box van has been hit.

Car theft is increasing here too. It used to be pretty uncommon, but now a lot of newer vehicles are being stolen by obviously organized groups. These aren't just joyride/commit some other crime and dump somewhere cars like it used to be. These vehicles just disappear. At work a new, sold Silverado that had not yet been delivered to the customer was stolen last week, along with a few other vehicles. They broke through a gate to get the vehicles. It's crazy wild west stuff. Sucks for the Silverado buyer, they probably didn't have an easy time buying it and now it's gone.

Maybe painting the heat shield bright orange and writing “STOLEN” on it would deter the thief that climbs underneath? It’s infuriating.

Thief druggy crackhead or lazy POS cuts off cat sells to place that gives them a small amount if it’s a legit cat rinse repeat

I would rather tape a 100 bill under the car if the person needs the money that bad then them steal my cat

They definitely cut them off with a saw. Usually cut the wires and anything else they need to remove for it brackets hangers other parts they don’t care

Some of how it’s working around here is they pull up the vehicle and “pretend “ to be changing a tire to make noise and cover the person under the vehicle cutting the cat off

It’s super expensive to fix these things usually I have had to put entire wiring harnesses in several with many additional pieces. Some end up being 10 grand or so parts and labor probably got 1-200 bucks for that stolen cat tops

I did not know that. Seems strange Washington recently passed a 10 round mag capacity law, and the west side of the state seems to be one of the areas that does not enforce many laws on the books. The eastern side of the state is a different story.

I'm not too sure of the validity of that list, Idaho passed Stand Your Ground in 2018 and it's not on that list.

And, Idaho is not on, The following 23 states have a castle doctrine:

Idaho has had a form of Castle Doctrine forever, but they decided they needed to set it in stone, also in 2018 and they revert back to the legislation/S1313 I listed above, it's a blanket cover they use for both.

A news clip:
MERIDIAN, Idaho (CBS 2) — Idaho law has long protected not only the right to bear arms but the right to use them in defense of life and property.

Under Idaho's Castle Doctrine, updated and strengthened in 2018, you have the right not only to defend your house with lethal force, but also your yard, your place of business, and even your car. (Click here to read Senate Bill 1313 from 2018.)
The Idaho's Second Second Amendment Alliance is working to solidify the benefits. ISSA link.

probably got 1-200 bucks for that stolen cat tops
I commented on a TikTok when someone said "that's $1700 right there" and my thought was that's how much it will cost to replace, not what the thief will get. Multiple people responded that no, the thieves are getting $1000+ per converter. I still find that hard to believe.

I commented on a TikTok when someone said "that's $1700 right there" and my thought was that's how much it will cost to replace, not what the thief will get. Multiple people responded that no, the thieves are getting $1000+ per converter. I still find that hard to believe.
I find that hard to believe. I sell scrap converters and get like $50 or so for ones that still have guts in them. FWIW one of our techs said that crackheads in Lompoc, CA are mixing the cat gut powder with xanax and snorting it. What a time to be alive.

Not being American, isn't this grounds to just shoot them in places like Florida and Texas? Obviously Cali isn't the same, but I'm surprised to hear how rampant this is!
As a 2nd Ammendment supporting American, I would NEVER take someone’s life for stealing property. That’s rediculous.

Threats of personal harm changes the discussion.

Lots of cowboys out there forget there is a life in the moron stealing stuff that could be saved with a second chance and the right mentor.

Shooting people sounds cool until it happens. Hitting them and making them very, very sore is a different story…..

These stories are rampant around here. Sometimes law enforcement finds a stash of thousands of converters.

It’s not just privately owned vehicles. I’ve read several stories of car lots and rental agencies getting hit. One U Haul agency here has been hit several times and each time multiple converters are taken. That’s big money to replace. The agency wanted to put up a fence but the city won’t allow it.

Police are stretched thin. They don’t even bother to respond.

As a 2nd Ammendment supporting American, I would NEVER take someone’s life for stealing property. That’s rediculous.

Threats of personal harm changes the discussion.

Lots of cowboys out there forget there is a life in the moron stealing stuff that could be saved with a second chance and the right mentor.

Shooting people sounds cool until it happens. Hitting them and making them very, very sore is a different story…..
Not a gun owner - I was flipping through a friend’s NRA mags and saw a big push for personal liability insurance. More than likely for then you meant to shoot to kill(if legality is met - you/family is in grave danger of getting killed or injured during a home invasion) but end up injuring/handicapping the suspect or collateral damage.

And of course, the party of the injured/killed can hire the best lawyers they can find.

Sounds like a great guy, not only does he steal from children with cancer but he also swipes cats.

WCTI12.com: Former NC police chief arrested again, accused of stealing catalytic convertors.

I agree. The value can’t be higher than getting a new one at wholesale cost lol. Especially since it’s cut and only useable as scrap

And since the buyer is taking a huge risk of getting caught they have to pay at a risk price knowing the people are stealing them

A guy in my office had the converter cut out of his 2021 Tacoma last week. On the second floor of our parking garage in broad daylight. They're bold (cracked out) in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back