Catalytic Converter Thefts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Lyft yesterday and the guy had a 2012 Prius. He said he had his converter stolen 5 times already. He has a $500 deductible every time it happened. I would think his insurance company would of dropped him by now forking out anywhere from $10K-$15K for those 5. He lives in beautiful Portland, Oregon by the way.

I used Lyft yesterday and the guy had a 2012 Prius. He said he had his converter stolen 5 times already. He has a $500 deductible every time it happened. I would think his insurance company would of dropped him by now forking out anywhere from $10K-$15K for those 5. He lives in beautiful Portland, Oregon by the way.

Aftermarket converters are legal in Oregon, so that would be a way to foil the thieves :sneaky:

I just looked under the car I rarely drive, to see if the cat was still there…

Nobody stealing that cat, HUGE yellowjacket hornets nest right by the converter…

These are the ones that can sting you multiple times….
A fully mobile theft deterrent with the option of hunting and engaging.

This reminds me of the early 1980's in NYC when GM computers were the target of thieves and early 2000's when Maxima headlights were a target. I had examples of both vehicles

So were Porsche 911 headlights of that era.

What if you wrapped your catalytic converter with barbed wire?

Or of you strapped a can of bear mace next to the converter edges. When the thief tries to cut the cat off, they'll puncture the can and get an explosion of pepper spray in their face.

What if you wrapped your catalytic converter with barbed wire?

Or of you strapped a can of bear mace next to the converter edges. When the thief tries to cut the cat off, they'll puncture the can and get an explosion of pepper spray in their face.
Maybe razor wire or barbed wire might work.

I doubt bear spray would survive. The temperature inside a converter is in the 1200-1600 degree range so it's going to be pretty hot outside it. It would probably explode from the heat coming off the converter the first time you drove the car after strapping it on.

You could go with this method. Of course it restricts your future choices.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...e-body-behind-his-truck-police-say/ar-AAL2qEX

Hmm, Washington, tweek on tweek, 1st, why said owner sleeping in his truck, must have been an f-250 no cat's on 350's. O.K. lets let that one slide. On to next issue, Washington is not a Stand your ground state, nor is it a Castle Doctrine state. "Don't shoot anyone one unless you absolutely have too in Washington" and they recently passed law of 10 round mag's! No longer a " Friendly state, may not have ever been.

Next, what is worst, guy steeling catalytic converters, or guy that shoots guy steeling catalytic converters and drags him behind his truck as a trophy.

As Jackie Gleason would say, What in the **** is the world coming to!

I guess the guy that owned the truck has never heard of the shoot shovel and shut up policy. What an Idiot! Beyond Idiot! He deserves what the Justice system sentences him to. "No more sleeping in his truck"

Seems they are going up peoples noses. Can’t believe this is true.

Seems they are going up peoples noses. Can’t believe this is true.

Well, if it is true, there's going to be some pretty rude awakenings for them. Can't imagine ceramic will get absorbed by the body and dealt with, so you're going to have a bunch of druggies with serious breathing problems.

Cat converter...it's under the car and looks like a muffler...I saw this only hours after it happened - Cat attack.

2016-06-05 14.44.48.jpg

They should do something about this, either make it illegal for scrap yards to accept catalytic converters or demand some kind of proof of ownership from these fools, this is madness.

They should do something about this, either make it illegal for scrap yards to accept catalytic converters or demand some kind of proof of ownership from these fools, this is madness.
It already is illegal for salvage yards and recycling centers to buy scrape cat's. It still does not stop both sides from participating in said illegal activities. It does not matter if you legally own it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back