Catalytic Converter Thefts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found out that these thefts are causing headaches for rental agencies too. Wife and I had reserved a 15 passenger van for a trip coming up, since there are 7 of us going and things would be a little cozy to take one vehicle and still be able to fit our bags. They called us today to say they can't get us a van, because their vans' cats are being stolen and they can't get replacement parts. It's bad enough they have to change their website so those aren't an option now.

They called us today to say they can't get us a van, because their vans' cats are being stolen and they can't get replacement parts.
You’d think Enterprise, Hertz, Avis and Airport Van Rental would be installing cat guards.

U-Haul has been installing cat cages on their box vans for a while now. I’m now seeing even Orkin trucks have a decal saying WARNING: CAT SECURED these days, they’re using Tacomas for trucks and I’d bet Enterprise Fleet Management or WEX was getting tired of decatting.

Story from a local TV station where a sheriff deputy caught someone in the act, well, immediately after as the guy was carrying the converter he had just cut off and it mentioned something I question....

"...said going after scrap yards won’t stop these thefts because he said the people stealing catalytic converters are not going to reputable scrap yards" 🤔

They know these are being sold at non-reputable scrap yards, so they know...

About a month ago there were stories all around here about stolen cats. I have not heard much lately. It's either so common nobody says anything or not profitable any more.
I get calls for the older Ford trucks and vans a lot, probably 3-4 a day that have been cut off. Unfortunately its all on older, 03ish and back, so they are obsolete from Ford. What really sucks they are expensive, like $3200 or so, so it would be a good thing for the bottom line.

Someone posted on Nextdoor that they had their cat stolen on some Honda. No-one on there appreciated my comment about the person cutting it did a fairly neat job of it. Cut the 2 sides of the cat and snipped the O2 sensor wires without destroying the floor pan.

Reactions: D60
You’d think Enterprise, Hertz, Avis and Airport Van Rental would be installing cat guards.

U-Haul has been installing cat cages on their box vans for a while now. I’m now seeing even Orkin trucks have a decal saying WARNING: CAT SECURED these days, they’re using Tacomas for trucks and I’d bet Enterprise Fleet Management or WEX was getting tired of decatting.
Just came to post that the Uhaul I rented 2weeks ago had a cage around the cat

...Thieves made off with 12 times as many catalytic converters, which sit exposed underneath most cars, in 2021 as they did in 2019, according to data from the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), an organization that tracks these thefts.

David Glawe, NICB president and CEO, pegged the price of a replacement catalytic converter at about $3,000, up from $1,000 in recent years. “Crime’s a business, and business is really good in this space,” said Glawe, whose organization works to combat insurance fraud and crime. “There’s a lot of money to be made. And there’s very little deterrent.”

The raw materials in the converters fetch as much as $240 from scrap dealers, according to Baird. The value of these metals increased as much as fourfold during the pandemic.

And for a crime that takes less than a minute to execute, and can be committed with a $100 saw bought at any Home Depot, the rewards outweigh the risks.

Virginia has made catalytic converter theft a felony as of July 1.

Previously, catalytic converter theft was a Class 1 misdemeanor, same as reckless driving (which means you'd face the same punishment for driving 46MPH in 25MPH zone as you would for stealing a catalytic converter).

Doesn't really happen around me. We don't have many turds/parasites living around here. I would let the jack down on someone if given the opportunity

Last edited:
Virginia has made catalytic converter theft a felony as of July 1.

Previously, catalytic converter theft was a Class 1 misdemeanor, same as reckless driving (which means you'd face the same punishment for driving 46MPH in 25MPH zone as you would for stealing a catalytic converter).
WA state just passed some tougher catalytic converter thief laws effective July 1 also. Thieves will probably just take them out of state to sell them.

1657324969211.png

WA state just passed some tougher catalytic converter thief laws effective July 1 also. Thieves will probably just take them out of state to sell them.

View attachment 107187
What a joke that legislation is. Of the nine bullet items only one makes any mention of punishment - and it’s vague beyond belief. Washington State University starting a “workshop“ on the matter? Ridiculous.

Scott

What a joke that legislation is. Of the nine bullet items only one makes any mention of punishment - and it’s vague beyond belief. Washington State University starting a “workshop“ on the matter? Ridiculous.

Scott
See post #127 ... if it was up to me. 😡

If it was up to me, I'd also shutdown and severely fine any business knowingly paying thieves and not having every i dotted and t crossed in their required paperwork. Would also have a large sting force to watch for metal scrap buyers buying from thieves. Punish the scrap buyers harshly, and it will stop it faster then trying to stop the thieves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back