DOJ busts $545 million catalytic converter theft ring

The U.S. Department of Justice announced Wednesday that it took down a national catalytic converter theft ring responsible for funneling tens of millions of dollars in stolen components through a metal refinery. A total of 21 defendants have been charged in two separate indictments that also led to the seizure of nearly $550 million in assets, including homes, bank accounts, cash and — you guessed it — luxury cars.

Good.

Probably will be selling my catalytic converter soon as I have a feeling that before 300,000 miles a P0420 code will pop up. Does it pay more to have a unclogged unit?

Probably will be selling my catalytic converter soon as I have a feeling that before 300,000 miles a P0420 code will pop up. Does it pay more to have a unclogged unit?
No, the metal inside is unaffected. I sold the 2 bad ones from the '18 Transit when they failed due to oil burning for $65 each, one was clogged & one wasn't, no difference in price (although prices are higher now than then).

<-- The refiner.

Glad to see this. I've also wondered if the EPA would get involved in converter theft enforcement, since it is basically emissions tampering under the Clean Air Act. According to the EPA website, "Violators are subject to civil penalties up to $45,268 per noncompliant vehicle or engine, $4,527 per tampering event or sale of defeat device, and $45,268 per day for reporting and recordkeeping violations." In fact, it looks like Summit Racing agreed to a $600,000 settlement for selling 2390 diesel delete pipes.

You're never going to get anything from a meth head with a Sawzall, but EPA fines would be one more way to make it hurt for the people in charge of the operations.

Glad to hear it.

I tried to sell the converter off of my son’s Camry here in IA after I replaced it myself in my garage. Without proof of ownership and a work order, they would not pay me for it. The car was back in Omaha and I could not access my son or the registration.

They said it was totally obvious it was not stolen ( it still had the flanges where I removed bolts) but he and I would both be fined heavily if he bought it.

So, DIY is out of luck in IA if you want to sell it due to a law passed concerning this.

Turned out it had been replaced before, as it was an aftermarket one anyway.

I got $30 for the one off of our 2002 New Beetle.

Lawyers will keep a lion’s share of the settlement. I’d like a returned premium for my 2 stolen cats.

Back