Long Island men allegedly made nearly $170 million from stolen catalytic converters to a single refinery in an 18-month period, according to DA

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Amazed by the amount of gross proceeds that two brothers and a co conspirator are alleged to have made in such a short time. If true/accurate, mind blowing. If they were able to profit just ten percent of the gross proceeds, wow. The cost to vehicles owners in time and money are likely many multiples of the gross proceeds.

Two Nassau County, New York, brothers and a co-conspirator were arrested and charged in an 81-count indictment on Friday alleging they engaged in a black-market catalytic converter trafficking operation that at one point netted the brothers $170 million from a single refinery.

Nassau County District Attorney Anne T. Donnelly made the announcement last week, alleging that between 2021 and 2022, Alan and Andrew Pawelsky trafficked stolen catalytic converters from states as far as California, extracted precious metals from inside and sent those metals to refineries to be paid.

Folks, unless you have something substantive to add to the discussion, don't post.

Stay away from political commentary, conspiracy theories etc.

Just as much a problem as the converter theft is that there is always a metal operation willing to buy the stolen converters, no questions asked. I hope the authorities were just as willing to bust the scrap-metal company/ies.

Maybe one solution is to have only certain such scrap companies authorized to accept scrap converters. There are already rules against reusing catalytic converters from salvage yards on vehicles.

Just as much a problem as the converter theft is that there is always a metal operation willing to buy the stolen converters, no questions asked. I hope the authorities were just as willing to bust the scrap-metal company/ies.
My thoughts exactly. Shut the yard down, fine the owner/owners and throw them in jail for a long time. That would be a great way to help slow this nonsense down. I personally know three people who had their CC's stolen. Some of these clowns are brazen enough to go up the driveway for them.

A deceased friend of mine, (he passed away in 2008), had his son shot dead trying to steal a catalytic converter off a Prius one year ago. (Prius converters are worth a bit more for some reason).

A father and son caught him in the act. An argument ensued, and he was shot trying to leave. Both men have been charged with second degree murder. Stealing catalytic converters is becoming a dangerous occupation in Arizona.

Maybe one solution is to have only certain such scrap companies authorized to accept scrap converters. There are already rules against reusing catalytic converters from salvage yards on vehicles.
That's a bummer as many catalytic converters still have useful life when a vehicle is brought in.

Bail was set pretty low.
Yes, the bail seemed so very little for the amount of monies exchanged.
2 words..... New York.
A deceased friend of mine, (he passed away in 2008), had his son shot dead trying to steal a catalytic converter off a Prius one year ago. (Prius converters are worth a bit more for some reason).

A father and son caught him in the act. An argument ensued, and he was shot trying to leave. Both men have been charged with second degree murder. Stealing catalytic converters is becoming a dangerous occupation in Arizona.

These are the two extremes. @billt460 I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'd offer that your friend's son should not have been attempting to steal that catalytic converter (presumably more of the precious metals in Toyota Prius cat. Very possible.)

I don't think they are looking to make an example out of the thieves.. though the busts with houses with rooms just full of stolen and cut cats, happens somewhat regularly, says two things to me, 1. Are they having more trouble selling at junkyards? Have they gotten wise? We never hear from the yards that buy these obviously stolen goods..... 2. The level of organization is amazing and reminiscent of car theft rings that know exactly what to do and treat this as a business. Now if there was more like Arizona in this matter...

These are the two extremes. @billt460 I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'd offer that your friend's son should not have been attempting to steal that catalytic converter (presumably more of the precious metals in Toyota Prius cat. Very possible.)
And I couldn't possibly agree with you more. I watched this kid go south after his father died. Running with the wrong crowd. Getting charged and convicted with a whole truckload. With everything from drug possession to burglary. Several stints in the county jail, etc.

It was only a matter of time before he met his end at 27. To be perfectly honest with you, I'm surprised it took as long as it did. The mistake the father and son made was shooting him in the back and head as he fled.

Now their lives are destroyed as well. All they needed to do was get his tag #, and let the cops do the rest. And he would be in a cell right now...Yet again...... And they would be free. Insurance would have covered any damage to their vehicle.

Instead 3 lives are ruined over a car exhaust. Darwinism on display at it's best..... All the way around.

"The two men are accused of purchasing volumes of whole catalytic converters with cash and using special tools to open the units to obtain platinum, palladium and rhodium."

No detail on the op, but special tools? Cut-off wheel and hammer?

Did they do the extraction and initial chemical refining? Not that hard really. Although Pt/Pd in Cl solution is pretty toxic.

They could get 99% pure with basic YouBoob knowledge. Buyer of metal couldn't know source.

I hate thieves of any stripe.

...... I don't think they are looking to make an example out of the thieves........
Quite the contrary. They are PROMOTING CRIME with allowing all of this nonsense to continue, without even arresting, let alone charging many of the perpetrators of these crimes.

San Francisco is a perfect example of this. Unless you steal, (shoplift) over $1,000.00, they have publicly stated you will not be charged. This is total insanity that does nothing but promote lawlessness and anarchy.

Combine that with the homelessness and drugs they're also doing everything in their power to promote. Not to mention the outright invitation of illegal invaders to come and reside in their "sanctuary city", and you have a literal cesspool of crime and disgust overwhelming that city. Along with several more across the country who promote the same stupid lawless crap.

Quite the contrary. They are PROMOTING CRIME with allowing all of this nonsense to continue, without even arresting, let alone charging many of the perpetrators of these crimes.

San Francisco is a perfect example of this. Unless you steal, (shoplift) over $1,000.00, they have publicly stated you will not be charged. This is total insanity that does nothing but promote lawlessness and anarchy.

Combine that with the homelessness and drugs they're also doing everything in their power to promote. Not to mention the outright invitation of illegal invaders to come and reside in their "sanctuary city", and you have a literal cesspool of crime and disgust overwhelming that city. Along with several more across the country who promote the same stupid lawless crap.
....and don't forget what NYC DA Bragg (Soros backed) is doing to a Marine (Daniel Penney) who intervened on a subway car when a violent homeless person (44 prior arrests) was threatening passengers and throwing things at them. Let's hope the jury shows some common sense (I wouldn't count on it in NYC).

PS: I find it hard to believe that 18 months of stealing CC's could net $170 million dollars....seems way too high to me.

The guys run a new "Epstein" island, they just got paid in catalytic converters. The pedo billionaires are getting more crafty.
I wonder why 'they' are keeping Epstein's client list under wraps? Too many of 'their' friends on that list I assume.

I wonder why 'they' are keeping Epstein's client list under wraps? Too many of 'their' friends on that list I assume.
It's the very same reason they bumped off the, "D.C. Madam". (Deborah Jeane Palfrey). She knew the perverted sex habits of too many prominent politicians.

She was reported as a, "suicide by hanging"...... After she told the media in an interview that she feared for her life, directly because of what she knew.

I wonder where the refiners are located? I would not be surprised if they aren't also under suspicion as they should have some sort of internal controls to red flag high volume sellers.

Amazed by the amount of gross proceeds that two brothers and a co conspirator are alleged to have made in such a short time. If true/accurate, mind blowing. If they were able to profit just ten percent of the gross proceeds, wow. The cost to vehicles owners in time and money are likely many multiples of the gross proceeds.

Two Nassau County, New York, brothers and a co-conspirator were arrested and charged in an 81-count indictment on Friday alleging they engaged in a black-market catalytic converter trafficking operation that at one point netted the brothers $170 million from a single refinery.

Nassau County District Attorney Anne T. Donnelly made the announcement last week, alleging that between 2021 and 2022, Alan and Andrew Pawelsky trafficked stolen catalytic converters from states as far as California, extracted precious metals from inside and sent those metals to refineries to be paid.

Not saying it did not happen. But its very hard to comprehend that amount of money. Unless it happened over several years. It is also hard to believe there are not more/many people and several "work sites" involved in the disposale of these stolen parts after processing the precious metals inside.

Back