Catalytic Converter Thefts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of my vehicles - 2011 Prius and 2007 Accord 2.4, are two of the most commonly targeted vehicles for catalytic converter thefts. My truck is not a known target, but the catalytic converters are easily accessible. I guess cats on a HEMI are not as valuable as the ones on the Accord and the Prius.

I have become more diligent about driving either of those vehicles at night or taking them to areas that are known for higher crime. But this is getting tiresome. I do have comprehensive coverage on all of my vehicles, but an incident would likely total either of those vehicles and that is not my end goal.

Aside from selling the vehicles, do I have any other options? The Prius does have a stainless steel cat shield but nothing is available for the Accord.

Last edited:
You can buy shields and/or cables that you wrap around or cover the converter and the exhaust piping in front/back of it making removal more difficult. Most thieves will just move along to an easier target.

I am not sure if a comprehensive claim will total a vehicle. Our daughter's boyfriend drives an Element ('07 I think) and his was stolen. Had it replaced at a Honda dealer and insurance paid for it. Parts alone were close to $2000. I don't know how much it would cost for a Prius but your Accord will be similar. You also have the option of aftermarket or do you with being in California ?

I wish someone would come cut the cans off the Touareg.

Don't worry about it. If the cats get stolen, take the insurance money, buy the "totalled" cars back for a pittance, and weld in some Vibrant cats.

Last edited:
You can buy shields and/or cables that you wrap around or cover the converter and the exhaust piping in front/back of it making removal more difficult. Most thieves will just move along to an easier target.

I am not sure if a comprehensive claim will total a vehicle. Our daughter's boyfriend drives an Element ('07 I think) and his was stolen. Had it replaced at a Honda dealer and insurance paid for it. Parts alone were close to $2000. I don't know how much it would cost for a Prius but your Accord will be similar. You also have the option of aftermarket or do you with being in California ?
The Prius has a stainless steel shield but none are available for the Accord. As you are aware, the shields are only a deterrent. This picture was just posted in a tech group last week:

1631476683203.png

Aftermarket is available for the Accord, but not for the Prius.

MSRP for the parts alone is over $2500 for the Prius. Accord is over $3K for dealer parts.

We were eating outside a few months ago and a loud Prius drove by, we all started laughing that a Prius was making so much noise....clearly the cat had been stolen.

I wouldn't worry about stuff like this, all you can do is avoid parking in sketchy areas but wouldn't you do that no matter what you drove?

I think it was either 2008 or 2009, Tampa Police caught a few guys with cordless sawzalls under some new Hondas at the Kennedy Blvd Honda Land, sawing off the catalytic convertors.

Can you install cameras on the side or underneath somehow? :unsure:

The Accord and Prius are highly geared towards low emissions and likely use special cats with more precious metal and are thus a higher value and theft target than the Hemi truck, which has less-stringent emissions standards. And like you said, no California-legal aftermarket cats for your Prius, which further motivates theft.

You could ask the manufacturer of the shield you got for your Prius to make one for your Accord. If enough people request it, they will make one.

What ticks me off are the jerks that buy stolen cats and stolen anything for that matter.

Not a surprise this is located in New Jersey. https://rrcats.com/ship/

They require a copy of your license for anything over 100 lb or $50. Check it out here

There is more scrapping of cats in NJ since rust is a big problem. The flanges rot away and the cat practically falls off! Converters aren't worth stealing in NJ because of the rust, and aftermarket cats are legal here.

OP is in California where there are no legal aftermarket cats for the Prius, and because there is no rust, it will last forever and is also easier to steal from.

Can you install cameras on the side or underneath somehow?

From what I understand the action of the theft occurs in something like thirty seconds. These varmints use cordless Dremel like tools to do the job.

It's everywhere. They really need to crackdown on the scrappers buying them.

Yep but there are lots of unscrupulous dealers. As mentioned in the article they found around 800 at that site alone probably waiting for the right buyer. Not too far from me they found close to 2000 in a old barn.

Automobile theft is huge around here.

I'm not necessarily one for vigilantism, but I'm OK with this:

This one was a little bit extreme. The guy was dead from the shooting, but there was no need to drag the body.

I've heard of some thieves who were armed, but there's video of ones who attempted to use their tools as weapons. In that case, deadly force is easily justified.

There's ones on EBay for the Prius for $108. Run that. Switch back during the smog test.
Same idea for the Accord, only they're a bit less expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back