Castrol edge or mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!
Obviously accept there is no such thing as the 'best oil' for my mercedes turbo petrol application it seems i have afew choices

castrol edge 0-30 or mobil 1 new life 0-40

why would you choose one over the other?

I've turned into a Castrol guy, but concensus here seems to be M1 0-40 for the MBs.

What I wanna know is, do you have a 355? And where are the pics?!?! The 355 is my absolute favorite car of all time, and always will be. It started a whole new design language for the automobile, and nothing else has the refined yet brutal styling those body lines contain. Oh, and a 5 valve 8,500 RPM V8 never hurt either!

Hi

Thank for the reply, yes i have one of the last 355s made but just acquired this new merc slk- so its for that turbo application I seek advice.

Actually, the 355 looks pretty but although its only done 25K miles it lives in the garage being repaired!

Sorry you car is always in the shop! It seems some just show up for a belt every few years while others are always getting something fixed.

I had the pleasure of going for a spin in a friend's 97 Spider a couple years ago. He has been very lucky, having bought the car in '06 right after a fresh major with around 30k on the clock. He's close to doubling that mileage now (the car is not a garage queen!) with only regular maintenance and another major. His is traditional red/tan.

What's your color combo? coupe/conv? F1?

Give me a couple more years and I will be on the hunt for a yellow/black berlinetta traditional manual.

I'm young (28) and married 4 yrs now. Last year my wife and I were discussuing the possibilty of having kids. Neither of us were feeling a deep down desire to have children... she's an elementary music teacher and already has 350 kids! I'm generally impatient and don't particularly like small fuss-factories. After talking pros/cons for awhile, and what kind of life changes we would have to make she sat quiet for a minute, looked at the floor, then looked me dead in the eyes and said... "Well, do you want kids or your 355?"

My hesitation spoke more than any words I could have said!

Last edited:
First welcome to BITOG.

IMO of those two lubricants M1 0W-40 would be the preferred choice.
The reason is, Castrol 0W-30 has a rather low viscosity index, particularly the A3 version. The C3 version is preferred, nevertheless M1 is still lighter dispite being a 40wt oil at start-up temp's below 10C. As a consiquence M1 is a better all round lubricant.

hi yes its a Fiorano its an F1 and that was a mistake because with te advances in technology it behaves in a poor way compared to more modern efforts, ive had the F1 pump go and its an expensive fix!

Originally Posted By: 355f
Hi

Thank for the reply, yes i have one of the last 355s made but just acquired this new merc slk- so its for that turbo application I seek advice.

Actually, the 355 looks pretty but although its only done 25K miles it lives in the garage being repaired!

My son in laws SL 500 has about 25K and it's in the garage a lot as well. At presant when he turns the steering wheel the horn will,at times, start honking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back