Castrol 5w30 magnatec 5qt prices.. walmart/amazon??

Usually Walmart or even Amazon was a place I'd buy a 5qt jug of Magnatec 5w-30.. But I had to share this insanity.. When did Magnatec become $50+ at Amazon?! It's usually around $20 a jug both at Walmart and Amazon.. I checked Walmart they're upped their prices for more than Oreilly! Oreilly is usually the most expensive.. Just had to vent.. wow..

Did I miss a meeting? lol.. when did this stuff become this overpriced? I just bought a jug from Walmart 2 weeks ago! it was less than $20..

Usually Walmart or even Amazon was a place I'd buy a 5qt jug of Magnatec 5w-30.. But I had to share this insanity.. When did Magnatec become $50+ at Amazon?! It's usually around $20 a jug both at Walmart and Amazon.. I checked Walmart they're upped their prices for more than Oreilly! Oreilly is usually the most expensive.. Just had to vent.. wow..

Did I miss a meeting? lol.. when did this stuff become this overpriced? I just bought a jug from Walmart 2 weeks ago! it was less than $20..

Similar story with the Valvoline 0w40. It was $20 two weeks ago, now $50 at Walmart and Amazon. I suspect this is a short-term supply issue. Then again, I think all oil will be going up due to supply chains, the increasing price of oil, and inflation.

I've noticed this with other products. When something becomes unavailable, Amazon will sell it at huge markups. I think it's their program of using third-party vendors, similar to ebay instead of Amazon stocking and selling it themself.

Also, when it's not available and nobody would otherwise be able to buy it, it may be a pschological propaganda warfare play for those that bargain hunt. They will see that "back in Sept 2021 it was $50, so now in June 2022 it's only $35 and a good deal!" Or for those that have it in their cart and get updates, "Your product has dropped from $50 to $35...".

There's at least 1 and probably many places that track Amazon pricing so it is likely some form of algorithm manipulation tool.

The Walmart listing is sold and shipped by a 3rd party. I would avoid that and just go pick it up in store.

Sometimes Amazon gets weird with their oil prices. I noticed that they spiked the price of PUP 5w-30 2 years ago.

The Walmart listing is sold and shipped by a 3rd party. I would avoid that and just go pick it up in store.

Sometimes Amazon gets weird with their oil prices. I noticed that they spiked the price of PUP 5w-30 2 years ago.

I completely missed that part of it sold by some third party on Walmart.. ya I made a mistake there, but amazon is still shipped/sold by Amazon. Very odd. I have noticed the algorithm in operation on Amazon where prices can go high or even the opposite of very low. I've ordered things where the price was crazy low, after I order it popped up to a much higher price.

I'm curious to check out my local walmart to see what the real price is on the shelf! Just wanted to post this but the algorithm at Amazon makes the most sense! thanks.. I knew I'd get an answer here! :cool:(y)

Recently paid $19.96 for 5 qrt. jug of Magnatec in store (WM every day price).
thanks for the info Chris.. yeah I got out to my local walmart, exact same prices as what you paid. Not sure what amazon is up to but good luck with those price hikes. And yes the edge was about $24 (as always) and mag (19.96).

I used magntec before in my ls1 engine, felt like it was really thin and had more cold motor noise for.what its worth I never bought again

Back