Castrol LL-03 = LL Now? Gold or Black Jug Difference?

Did they do away with the -03 and go to just LL? Called Castrol and like many other companies they have a young woman who knows very little about the products and no tech support (engineers are in the field). She had no clue if the Black jug & the Gold jug of the Castrol EDGE Euro 5W-30 LL were the same and said that the LL-03 was still available (?) Have the Gold jugs in my cart at WM but not sure if I should place the order seeing that the bottle is very different from the one on Castrol's site. Are they the same?

Last edited:
Looking at the PDS, it appears the "LL" designation of this oil has nothing to do with BMW LL specs as it doesn't list any of them.

Product Performance Claims:
  • ACEA C3
  • MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51
  • Porsche C30
  • VW 504 00/ 507 00

You mean still being available? My old stash has LL-03 right on the gold bottle, used to be dealer only but you could get it on eBay and Amazon too.
What is your application? What oil spec does your engine require?

As confusing as it may be, LL or LL03 is just Castrol's internal nomenclature, unrelated to any BMW LL specs.

As confusing as it may be, LL or LL03 is just Castrol's internal nomenclature, unrelated to any BMW LL specs.

Yes which approval is required here?

i dont think ll-03 is a real thing. mustve been an error.
It's a real thing, but it's a Castrol thing, not a BMW thing.

g-052-195-1q-dsp-.jpg

It's an Audi not BMW, '14 C7 A6 TDI Quattro...needs a 507. Just trying to find out if they discontinued the LL-03 designation and replaced it with just LL. My -03 stock (like the bottle shown in the previous post) is not that old but probably came from whatever retailer had it in stock and cheapest. The 2 colors of the jugs is a question too, and both say Titanium which a thread/post here says that it's discontinued. The gold jug at WM is $24.04.....

The LL from Walmart has VW 507 approval.

It seems the Professional was the version only available through the VW or Audi dealers for a while.

Just trying to find out if they discontinued the LL-03 designation and replaced it with just LL.
How did you contact Castrol previously where you got the unhelpful response?

In the past when I sent an email to [email protected], I would usually receive a satisfactory answer.

BTW, the PDS for LL03 shows identical characteristics to the LL version:

But the LL version lists additional engine MFG specs.

It's an Audi not BMW, '14 C7 A6 TDI Quattro...needs a 507. Just trying to find out if they discontinued the LL-03 designation and replaced it with just LL. My -03 stock (like the bottle shown in the previous post) is not that old but probably came from whatever retailer had it in stock and cheapest. The 2 colors of the jugs is a question too, and both say Titanium which a thread/post here says that it's discontinued. The gold jug at WM is $24.04.....
I guess I’m a little confused as to why that would make any difference. It has the required approval for your engine, that’s all that really matters. Castrol marketing designations are irrelevant.

TIL

Just asking if oil in the 3 different bottles is the same, isn't there a chance that there was a newer formulation or additive? In the brochure the Professional LL-03 says that it's double filtered...LOL. From the replies it seems(?) that it's the same. We here don't usually just grab a bottle because it says 507 right? There are a lot of different manufactures with different formulations and properties that forum members ask about all the time. WM here I come.....

Just asking if oil in the 3 different bottles is the same, isn't there a chance that there was a newer formulation or additive? In the brochure the Professional LL-03 says that it's double filtered...LOL. From the replies it seems(?) that it's the same. We here don't usually just grab a bottle because it says 507 right? There are a lot of different manufactures with different formulations and properties that forum members ask about all the time. WM here I come.....
Walmart.com though, it's not available in the stores.

Back