RP worth over the competition (Walmart Pricing)

I usually stop by walmart and pick up my oil, and have found that they have RP in stock. See price chart bellow. I usually use Valvoline since its good value for 5qt which is exactly the amount I need and is almost always in stock. But, would RP be worth it for that 11$ more for 5qt?

FULL SYNTH 5w301qt5qt
Super Tech$ 5.28$ 19.98
Chevron Supreme$ 4.58$ 22.90
Quaker State$ 5.72$ 22.97
Valvoline Advanced$ 8.98$ 26.97
Penzoil Full Synth$ 7.66$ 26.44
Castrol EDGE Advanced/HM$ 8.88$ 28.94
Mobil1 Advanced/HM$ 8.78$ 26.97
Royal Purple HP$ 9.07$ 37.56
Mobile1 Extended Protection$ 9.67

It's been a while since I paid any attention to RP. Was never a fan of it. IMO, no there is no benefit.

Their website has some good information on it though. Took a quick look. Their current PDS look decent. Low VI. Probably pretty shear stable.

14% isn't great.

1683119337627.jpg

It's been a while since I paid any attention to RP. Was never a fan of it. IMO, no there is no benefit.

Their website has some good information on it though. Took a quick look. Their current PDS look decent. Low VI. Probably pretty shear stable.

14% isn't great.

View attachment 153940
Do you think it would be worth running in a tuned 2.0 turbo engine vs just any regular oil like M1/Val? I am pretty sure it would be of no benefit in any of my toyota's.

I used RP in my 2020 Equinox and did a UOA and compared it against Pennzoil PP. the RP had a much better uoa than the Pennzoil. I have Valvoline EP in now and will compare it to both RP and Pennzoil. If it’s close to RP I’ll use Valvoline for awhile and save $ oil change.

I used RP in my 2020 Equinox and did a UOA and compared it against Pennzoil PP. the RP had a much better uoa than the Pennzoil. I have Valvoline EP in now and will compare it to both RP and Pennzoil. If it’s close to RP I’ll use Valvoline for awhile and save $ oil change.
Do you have the UOA sheet? Or link to OG post? Would love to see the numbers. I don't see Valvoline doing much better than Penzoil around here in the UOA department, at least for me, I have a decent amount of fuel dilution.

This was after 4k miles of 5w30 valvoline.

Have a look at their HPS line of oil, not the shelf stuff at Walmart that has to restrict ZDDP levels in order to get an approval.
Nice, but that would be like 2x the oil price from what I pay now. 10$ more is fine, but 25$ more is a bit much considering I change every 4-5k miles (although the argument would be you could go longer, but I wouldn't anyways).

Based on the UOA I saw of the off the shelf stuff, 0w20 has better results than my Val 5w30 LOL.

Do you think it would be worth running in a tuned 2.0 turbo engine vs just any regular oil like M1/Val? I am pretty sure it would be of no benefit in any of my toyota's.
I don't. I still think M1/PUP/Castrol Edge are as good or better in most areas. I don't know about their HPS line.

Give it a shot though. That's just my opinion on it.

RP was bought by Calumet in 2012. I don't know what role they play, but I know they are a chemical manufacturer.

Nice, but that would be like 2x the oil price from what I pay now. 10$ more is fine, but 25$ more is a bit much considering I change every 4-5k miles (although the argument would be you could go longer, but I wouldn't anyways).

Based on the UOA I saw of the off the shelf stuff, 0w20 has better results than my Val 5w30 LOL.
I buy it in the 5 gallon containers, lots cheaper per QT like that, but I understand it is a larger initial outlay of funds.

Have a look at Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 if you're wanting something you can find on store shelves. I buy that stuff in the 12Qt "garage packs"

Have a look at their HPS line of oil, not the shelf stuff at Walmart that has to restrict ZDDP levels in order to get an approval.
agree 👍. The HMX line in 5w30 has a 3.3hths,Synerlec and high mileage conditioners. I believe it's SL rated so lots more of the good stuff. the HPS line is even higher up but I don't know much about it specifically. Used to buy their GDI spray directly, but using CRC,Lucas, etc

I buy it in the 5 gallon containers, lots cheaper per QT like that, but I understand it is a larger initial outlay of funds.

Have a look at Mobil 1 Euro 0-40 if you're wanting something you can find on store shelves. I buy that stuff in the 12Qt "garage packs"
Yeah, I did the math on the 5 gallon and its pretty much identical to just buying 5qt's. About 50$ per OCI vs 25-27$. Although I might as well give it a try and see. Only one way to find out.

agree 👍. The HMX line in 5w30 has a 3.3hths,Synerlec and high mileage conditioners. I believe it's SL rated so lots more of the good stuff. the HPS line is even higher up but I don't know much about it specifically. Used to buy their GDI spray directly, but using CRC,Lucas, etc
How is the ceratec?

Yeah, I did the math on the 5 gallon and its pretty much identical to just buying 5qt's. About 50$ per OCI vs 25-27$. Although I might as well give it a try and see. Only one way to find out.

I think we're talking different things. There isn't anything special about the shelf RP oil at Walmart and IMHO, it is way overpriced. Conversely, their HPS line of oil has much higher levels of ZDDP and can be bought in 5 gallon containers for 178 to your door, or 8.90/Qt, which is half what it costs per Qt in the very few stores that stock it.

Royal Purple oil is a boutique oil - people pay extra for the name.

That VOA looks pretty good to me

That VOA looks pretty good to me
Looks great. I might yolo it in 4000 miles.

You can't use UOA's to make this sort of comparison, it's outside the useful scope of the tool.

Back