RP worth over the competition (Walmart Pricing)

Sounds like u need a Meth injection system. Get that up to 5:1 eh
Meth is a nice way to go but adds a lot of complication. Next step would be MPI/LPFP upgrades and tuning to match, that will add 50hp but then the turbo would be need to be bigger to keep going past that.

It's been a while since I paid any attention to RP. Was never a fan of it. IMO, no there is no benefit.

Their website has some good information on it though. Took a quick look. Their current PDS look decent. Low VI. Probably pretty shear stable.

14% isn't great.

View attachment 153940

I'm shocked this hasn't had more attention. People regularly post something similar that M1 issued for their FS 0w40 product and it gets a reasonable amount of attention every time. Usually when someone mentions needing to clean something up.

I'm shocked this hasn't had more attention. People regularly post something similar that M1 issued for their FS 0w40 product and it gets a reasonable amount of attention every time. Usually when someone mentions needing to clean something up.
Well one of the differences I think is worth noting is there is keeping an engine clean and ability to clean. I think a robust synthetic from any brand will contain detergents to clean up some % sludge. However, to clean up carbon deposits takes a good amount of solvency to break down and that is where things get interesting. It appears the oils containing some form of group V base oils handle this better. But even within the V range, some are known to clean better than others.

My comment was in reference to the 14%, which if it's the same test I'm thinking of (D6593), is not that that great. Amsoil claims 90% better protection against sludge.

1683205499749.png

Well one of the differences I think is worth noting is there is keeping an engine clean and ability to clean. I think a robust synthetic from any brand will contain detergents to clean up some % sludge. However, to clean up carbon deposits takes a good amount of solvency to break down and that is where things get interesting. It appears the oils containing some form of group V base oils handle this better. But even within the V range, some are known to clean better than others.

My comment was in reference to the 14%, which if it's the same test I'm thinking of (D6593), is not that that great. Amsoil claims 90% better protection against sludge.

View attachment 154110

Amsoil vs RP vs M1/Val/Name Brand Synthetic?

was told by a rp rep. that a blend of group three,four and modified 5 base oils,(proprietory),and had a hard time getting the custom additive package info,its lubrizol

Last edited:
They refine mineral oils including Group III, and also manufacture a broad range of POEs.
Does Calumet make their own base oils and additive packages or do they source them from someone else?
The answer to your question is yes. They make their own and they also buy from someone else. I can speak to that with absolute certainty.

Notice on the bottom they reference SWRI. Also notice how poor the shear stability is of the prior version of M1 EP.

"The oxidation resistance, synthetic solvency and varnish control contribute to incredible cleanliness inside the engine. These unique formulations enable HPS oils to outperform leading synthetic and conventional lubricants in both gasoline and diesel engines"

View attachment 154265
View attachment 154266
Seems like the best oil among the group. How can we dispute that argument based on this data?

Notice on the bottom they reference SWRI. Also notice how poor the shear stability is of the prior version of M1 EP.

"The oxidation resistance, synthetic solvency and varnish control contribute to incredible cleanliness inside the engine. These unique formulations enable HPS oils to outperform leading synthetic and conventional lubricants in both gasoline and diesel engines"

View attachment 154265
View attachment 154266
Amusing how they tout VI (pointing to considerable VII content, though they are obviously using decent VII's) and then brag about non-compliant levels of phosphorous, lol. Well no crap an oil that's blended with higher (non-compliant) levels of ZDDP is going to show higher levels of ZDDP, lmao.

If it meets all the same certs, “extra” anything will still produce a statistically similar result. That’s the point of the cert.
wonrg. Low bar of the certificates does not mean if two products exceed it they are the same.
In post #110 here
I explained why the standard test mean not much!

Was just asking to see if there is a caveat in that conclusion.
Yes, the product has zero OE approvals and can't be API approved because it has non-compliant levels of additives, while all the other oils they are comparing to are compliant with the API regulations.

The product that should be used for this comparison is their API approved line.

This is like comparing Pure Stock ET's to a Pro Stock Mountain Motor car and then bragging about how awesome it is without mentioning any other PSMM car's times.

Last edited:
Yes, the product has zero OE approvals and can't be API approved because it has non-compliant levels of additives, while all the other oils they are comparing to are compliant with the API regulations.

The product that should be used for this comparison is their API approved line.
I see your point with respect to Mobil 1. But lets say we compare the blenders who have some API oils (like Amsoil, RP, etc) but have non-API oils as well. We already use Amsoil SS, the RP just seems better and cheaper! The only catch I can think about is large drain intervals, they might not be able to claim Amsoils 25K miles. That's might be the only catch. But then I see RP is more shear stable, so, only oxidation of Amsoil can be better. Will check for some UOA to validate/reject that claim.

I see your point with respect to Mobil 1. But lets say we compare the blenders who have some API oils (like Amsoil, RP, etc) but have non-API oils as well. We already use Amsoil SS, the RP just seems better and cheaper! The only catch I can think about is large drain intervals, they might not be able to claim Amsoils 25K miles. That's might be the only catch. But then I see RP is more shear stable, so, only oxidation of Amsoil can be better. Will check for some UOA to validate/reject that claim.
AMSOIL SS also uses API compliant levels of additives, as can be easily gleaned from the chart.

Nothing from these carefully selected comparisons tells us that the oil is better than AMSOIL SS. HTHS is also omitted from the PDS info, which is interesting, but not surprising.

What are you expecting UOA's to show you?

I like that RP still uses TI in its add pack; I think it’s a proven additive that should be used more.

Back