Mobil 1 (5w30) Supply Thin at Walmart?

Hi guys/gals,

I just came from three of my local Walmarts...all were out of the Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic (standard) in the 5qt. jugs. And supplies of the other weights were thin as well. Did I miss something? Is there something going on with Mobil and/or Walmart? I asked the guy in the service centrer but he didn't know anything. They had plenty of the other brands. Is it becuase of the rebates?

Supply chain capacity and manufacturing capacity.
Bad example: Mobil only has interest or capacity in making a forecasted amount. The supply chain can only get so much.

It has been like this pre pandemic, too.

WM gets X amount, AZ gets this amount, Amazon gets X amount, Napa gets X amount... . If a retailer sells out before Mobil can ship more to the stores serving warehouse, they won't have product to sell. Happens all the time to all sorts of things. Sony PS5, bicycles...... .

Nearby stores show 6+ 5-quart bottles of "Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30"

Appears to be a "local" issue.

I’ve resorted to raiding the new stock shipments at Walmart at opening time to find 5w-30 EP. They usually get one case of three jugs or none at all. Too many variants to keep more in stock seems to be the problem. This is what my store currently stocks.
A1DAFD93-5775-4271-BAB9-8B2B74E395F9.jpeg

Same issue for me but Pennzoil Platinum. Plenty available via their website, but seems some stores shelves are scarce.

Like others have said, try a site to store order. The Walmarts here have a ton of M1. More than any other brand. Fully stocked to the max.

But here is the thing...about 2-3 weeks ago, I was at my local Walmart to get a jug of 5w30 Supertech synthetic (5qt jug) for the Sorento...the shelves were full of Mobil 1...all weights. So, whatever happened or is happening...it was recent...maybe some sort of recall??? Oh well.

Oh yeah, plenty of EP jugs, just not the standard Mobil 1 5qt. jugs.

Like on-line...
I can only get one gallon of T6 online from WM.com and it’s pickup only. Jeffy at Amazon will take your money then cancel the order 2 days later. I guess it’s worth trying and retrying.

I need to go into town this morning anyways so I’ll stop by WM to see what’s going on. If I can’t find what I need there, I’ll get it at Orsheln. (TSCish store).

Might have to settle for a Dino 15w40. 😭

The very nearby Walmart had no regular M1 in stock for quite a while...still don't know if its stocked. I had to drive to the next closest one and they had plenty.

There was a large difference in stock levels between the Walmart closest to my suburban house, and one that was more in-town. Talking about 3 miles away vs 9 miles away.

The one that is in-town is significantly better stocked, I guess because people that live in the city do less DIY? Who knows.

The suburban one that is close to my house, about 3 miles is pretty low in stock on M1 and PP products. The Supertech diesel shelves are completely empty. But Castrol is pretty well stocked, albeit at a higher price.

Back