Cashiers asking you to donate for ___ charity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All too frequently and all annoying.

Not the cashiers fault though. Rather preditory management & marketing leveraging "push technology" on their own customers, to tick some box in their annual report.

If you complain to store management, they'll state it "came from above". Complain to their social media page(s).

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I get hit by bums at the gas pump. Then at the door,then at the cashier for the mentioned post. Then at the door again and the gas pump again. Finally get hit up by the bum holding a sign leaving the lot.

In Ohio, your feeding someones heroin addiction if you give to such people.

I don't like it, and I'm free to say, NO.
If I gave money to everybody asking for it, I'd have none.
Like others here have said, "the Executives of these Charities make BIG BUCKS.

Donating at the Supermarkets for Meals for the Needy, I say "NO" - What are Food Stamps for ?
In my area, they also collect for School supplies in September.
Dam, now you got me started.

I do make a yearly donation to my local Volunteer Fire Dept. and am happy to do so.
But I will not be intimidated by the Fire Depts. standing in the street asking people to fill their Boots with donations.

To review a Charity, check out www.charitynavigator.org
Very good info and the Executives salaries.

Last edited:
Nothing like the stores soliciting for your money so they can donate it in their name. If they're so concerned about a particular cause, let them pony up the bucks.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I donate solely to the Costanza Human Fund.

Money for people!

HEB grocery store has a souper bowl drive for local Texans who don't have enough to eat.

For $5 you buy a brown bag of food, and they deliver all the bags for families in need.

My wife and I buy one a week for a month, because we see tangible items going to people in need who are hungry. They list the items in the bag on the front of it. Non perishables, staples for people to eat.

As for the girl scout cookies, I don't buy that nonsense, can't eat it anyways. Also not a fan of soccer teams asking for money in front of walmart every weekend.

We do support the local church when they have BBQ plates for sale, or Chicken Dinners, we buy them.

I crew a 550 mile bicycle ride fundraiser every year from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and volunteer a few hours every week to local charities that support portions of the community I believe need it the most, so I usually decline the donation being collected at the check out line.

If I'm donating money or time, I want to make sure it's going to an organization I'm familiar with, and know how much of each dollar goes back into the community.

I rarely run into Girl Scouts at Publix, they seem to favor Lowes and Walmart here.

It's almost funny, first they ask you to donate, or sign up for a "rewards card", then they tell you to fill out the survey on the receipt!!

So the cashier is REQUIRED to [censored] you off, then you fill out a survey saying that the Cashier is no good!!!
mad.gif

What really [censored] me off is if I need air in my tires, at many stations, they charge you 75 cents, and then say it "Goes to charities" like retarded "Feed my Starving Child"

Compulsory donations [censored] ME OFF. Donations should always be a free will offering. A poor bloke with a low tire should not be forced in paying a "donation" just to air up the tire to a safe pressure. That is extortion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Nothing like the stores soliciting for your money so they can donate it in their name. If they're so concerned about a particular cause, let them pony up the bucks.

Yep.

Dishdude makes a solid point. I've also always wondered if the store asking for the funds is then also able to write it off as a charitable donation on their part.

I certainly don't think that too many people hold onto the receipt and try to write off a dollar.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Worse is walking out of a store and being surrounded by girl scout cookie sellers.

That always reminds me of this haha

Actually reminds me of this one in Airplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4CizzE-zZo&ab_

Haha AWESOME!! I love that movie!!

Ours do not ask - but the little food bank coupons are right where you pay - pick $1, $5, $10, or none. I like it that way and pass them the $5 often ... verbal would be a bit more annoying ...

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Dishdude makes a solid point. I've also always wondered if the store asking for the funds is then also able to write it off as a charitable donation on their part.

I certainly don't think that too many people hold onto the receipt and try to write off a dollar.

I don't know if they would even give a Receipt.
OR
The Store may not be declaring the (total) donations on their Income Tax.

The Store and the Donor can not both deduct the donation.

But from reading these responses, it seems most people have their defenses up when asked for money.
Caveat emptor; let the Donor beware.

I don't annoyed at the cashiers, afaik they are just doing their jobs, following orders.

When they do ask, if not interested I just politely say no thank you and that's it. Now if they were to not accept that answer I would get annoyed, but that hasn't happened to me.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I donate solely to the Costanza Human Fund.

Money for people!

Gave me a good chuckle to start out the day. Thanks guys!
33590.jpg

It might be a great follow up to the moose mugs I gave out for gifts last year.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I don't annoyed at the cashiers, afaik they are just doing their jobs, following orders.

When they do ask, if not interested I just politely say no thank you and that's it. Now if they were to not accept that answer I would get annoyed, but that hasn't happened to me.

+1

They already have to deal with the general public without me having to add to their fatigue.

The stores want to be good corporate citizens and participate in fundraising efforts of the charities. So they order their cashiers to ask this question. Not sure if they have fundraising quotas for the cashiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back