Cars you OWNED and Loved to drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
68 Intl Scout! 345 with a granny low 1st gear. Thing was a pile, doors wouldn't open because they had been dragged over so many rocks.

But it would go anywhere and pulled out big'ol 4x4 trucks that were stuck. I would always pull up next to the stuck guy in the same mud or sand he was in and ask if he needed help.

My current truck and the only vehicle I can really call mine.

2001 Ford Ranger, 2.5L, 5-speed manual. Low power, but it weighs nothing so it does not matter. It is fun winding it up to 6000 RPM, shifting gears myself, and dumping the clutch.

1)- My 1986 GM Sprint (Suzuki 3cyl): owned that for both attending college and also for SCCA stock D class race. With jetted carb, shaved head and all the knowhows from the Suzuki gurus in my dealership, Tokico struts,I can beat any 1980s BMW inline 6 stock in terms of overall times. I got excellent mileage back in the college days, giving me in excess over 50 miles/US gal flying down the lower fraser valley...whoeee!

2)-Mazda B2 (Ford festiva/Korean made Mazda 121)-- that was a nice little boxy 1.3 with excellent fuel economy and fun to drive. Alhough not as good as my Suzuki 3-banger, with a bit of EFI and 63 bhp, it gives much better acceleration when you try to overtake 18-wheelers on the highway! also: you can do a lot of winter slalom/rallye tricks with that boxy car!

3)-Mazda B6 block. I owned this car for 16 yrs and all these times it's been very, very reliable.Too bad the car is very heavy (with whimpy 8 valvers and 89bhp out of a 1.6L) and can be buzzy on the highway. YEt it took my family and my wifey to Yellowstone park Wyoming and then back for 10 days straight w/o stopping and the engine was still in excellent shape after all these years...too bad I have to rid of it because of paint peeling.

4)-Honda fit. I've been waited for this vehicle since I had to rid of my B6 block, and it is something that I've been waited for a long, long time. That 1.5L iVtec 4 is very, very smooth and excellent Vtec kickin around 3500rpm. While it's a bit better gas mileage overall than my B6 (on highway it's much, much better!) in the city, with 109bhp, A/C and a go-cart like handling characteristics, this baby has been giving me more fun than anything else so far....

loving every moment of it...

Quote:

And, how many folks nowadays can say they drove a three-on-the-tree tranny?

I can. See my post, even though I misspelled the three part of "three on the tree". I know what you mean about the female thing, especially in that tremendous bench front seat of the 88. Makes me think of the Tom Waits song, "Looking For The Heart Of Saturday Night".
smile.gif

'57 VW (oval rear window) with a 1600cc Porsche engine (dual webers, etc.)
'55 Chevy Bel Aire (V8)
'67 Triumph Spitfire
'91 MR2 turbo
'03 MR2 Spyder

Quote:

Quote:

And, how many folks nowadays can say they drove a three-on-the-tree tranny?

I can. See my post, even though I misspelled the three part of "three on the tree". I know what you mean about the female thing, especially in that tremendous bench front seat of the 88. Makes me think of the Tom Waits song, "Looking For The Heart Of Saturday Night".
smile.gif

I can too. '67 Chevy Chevelle Wagon with inline 6 and 3 on the tree.

'75 AMC Pacer with 3 on the tree and electric O/D.

'75 Chevy P/U with 3 on the tree.

All were my parent's cars. That Pacer was gawd awful ugly and unreliable too.
crushedcar.gif

2 stand outs...

1993 Chevy Cavalier Z24. 3.1 V6 and 5 speed. Lots of torque in a small car.

And my current ride. 2004 Civic with 5 speed. Always a joy.

1979 RX7. just a blast to rev and drive. The fastest way around a corner was with the tail out. Get of the gas and it set right back up.
03 Vibe GT. Eibach unichip and larger rear bar. Limits were higher than you'd expect and had that intangible fun to drive quotient. Not the fastest or stickiest but a riot to play with. No toeque 8200 redline, second cam had race overlap and it was surprisingly neutral as set up. Had to work at it and loved to.

you guys had some cool rides. I forgot a favorite
66 chevy bel air 4dr 396 3 on the tree 80k originalmiles. the original 83 yr old owner had just traded it in at a local dealer where my freind was working. The manager said get that thing off my lot. Gimme 50 bucks to cover the paperwork. body was mint with origiinal faded paint. Had to be one of the biggest cars ever built. Drove to a Van Halen concert with 8 people in the car and a keg in the trunk. So much fun power shifting that 3 0n the tree except for when it would get stuck in 2nd and 3rd simultaneously. I had more fun in that $50 car than should be allowed.

1988 VW Jetta GLI 16V-poor mans BMW, comfort at the expense of driving experience
2004 Subaru WRX Wagon-close to the Jetta but more comfy, just plain fun to drive in any weather

My first fun car was a '69 chevy corvette with a 350ci, 350 hp engine, t-top. I kept that until premium gas got too expensive (50 cents per gallon). Yes, young and stupid.

Next up was a ~1970 Triumph spitfire. That was my first rag top. What a blast.

Next fun car was an 89 BMW 325i. This is perhaps one of the best all-round cars I've owned. Not good in a straight line, but nice all-round package.

95 Ranger 4.0 2wd 3.55 auto. Beat the #@$%! out of it every day for 4 years, had to sell due to growing family.
88 Mustang GT 5-spd and 2.73's
99 F150 ex cab 4wd 5.4, loved that truck!
00 Durango R/T-GAS HOG!! but great ride and would go anywhere.

Mustangs: 1985 GT, 1991 LX 5.0, and my current 1998 GT Convertible. The '91 was a "notchback", fastest of the bunch. I'm actually quite mild-mannered as a driver, but one morning I was idling along the curb while my kids were standing at the curb waiting for the school bus, when someone blows by at 70mph on our country road (speed limit is 35). I was naturally indignant at someone driving this speed when children are present, so I immediately became a civil police officer for the day.... and I can see why the highway patrol liked these cars.... I had the guy chased down in less than a mile, pulled up beside him and waved my finger, "DON'T YOU DO THAT BY MY KIDS!" (I was running totally on adrenaline at this point.) Probably very stupid, but I never saw that happen again. That car had guts out the wazoo.

I took at time out from the Mustangs to drive a 300M for a few years. Very nice, plenty of power and the heated seats were great.

Long before all of this, a 1978 Triumph Spitfire... fun car, generated a lot of interest from friends, but I had to repair it every two weeks or so.

1993 Plymouth Sundance Duster 3.0 V6 5-speed. 4 years of TOTAL reliablity and was a rude awakening Mustangs and Camaros at stoplights.

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Fast, comfortable all-weather sporty car that was also a stoplight killer.

2002 Nissan Altima 3.5SE Smooth, roomy, comfortable and incredibly fast.

Anyone seeing a trend with my cars? :)

1997 Eagle Talon TSI/AWD - special ordered. Was a very fun ride under all conditions.

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport 2wd - special ordered - std cab, 318 ci Magnum, 3.92 gears, A/C, nothing else. Added a few bolt-ons (exhaust & intake). It was very fun in a straight line.

1963 plymouth bevidere 383 torqflite 4:30 rear
1963 plymouth sport fury 426 max wedge 4 speed
1967 mustang 390 4sp. fastback not gt.
1968 mustang 347 stroker fastback
1964 chevelle ss conv.
1964 ford gal.500xl convert
1965 griffth 289 305 hp. smaller than a cobra.
1993 corvette blk on blk 6spd.
1995 ford mustang gt conv.
2006 jeep wrangler

74 Olds 98 Coupe -- Rocket 455. Partially rusted, missing skirt. People got out of my way.

76 Aspen -- 318. Fun to drive but sloppy steering and lots of problems over the years.

77 LTD -- 351 Windsor. A tank that burnt rubber.

79 GLC -- 4 spd. Fun car, wish it had a 5th gear.

89 Century -- 2.5 Iron duke.

98 Neon -- 5 spd. My first new car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back