Cars Without Tailights

I've also seen where they get a bigger spare tire and remove the 3rd brake light, then add red LEDs in the lug nut holes for the spare tire. The factory 3rd brake light is much brighter than that crap.

The average Jeep Wrangler around here has at least one violation of vehicle lighting regulations on it, from what I've seen. This in a state with an annual safety inspection.

I even saw one where it was screwed up so the 3rd brake light was flashing with the turn signals. I doubt it left the factory that way.
Yeah it seems many people just delete the 3rd brake light when they put a larger spare tire which is really dumb since the two other factory tail lights are already dim and hard to see. Mine has larger tires, but I was able to shim the 3rd brake light bracket to raise it up some so it is still in the factory location. Many companies make aftermarket solutions to keep that 3rd light so there is no excuse.

The 3rd brake light flashing with the turn signals is actually a common problem. Many of the aftermarket junk turn signal stalk switches in the column cause this issue. Mine had that issue when I bought it, but I only found out when a friend was following behind me one night and he goes "why do all of your lights flash when you turn?" LOL An OEM switch fixed it.

The only folks who check their lights for proper operation are BITOG'ers. The rest of the world rely on yearly state inspections or LEO warnings or tickets.
I guess I've been conditioned by the ''dependable'' GM taillight sockets of the '60's.
I once dated a girl who drove a '96 Camry that seemed to always have some kind of light out. She never cared, but it drove me nuts. The headlights on that car already sucked, when one was out you could barely see at night.

Not all GMT800s got DRLs -- GM started it, then stopped it, then maybe started it again?

When we had an '02 Silverado the first time one burnt out I just removed both bulbs. Even though I don't think it would be technically legal, it just felt like an excuse for probable cause for a traffic stop. Since not all GMT800s had them, there's no way an LEO could know if your particular vehicle should or should not.

I also thought this was a huge untapped market for places like Grease Monkey. I'd say 50% of GMT800s were running around with one DRL operational. So, instruct your techs to check every 800 and 99% of customers will agree to have the burnt bulb replaced -- at considerable markup. Profit margin for a couple minutes of time would be substantial.

I never understood this. I have aftermarket LED tail light housings on my Jeep so people don't rear-end me. Not sure why idiots would want less light coming from the tail lights. Reminds me of those morons who tint their tail lights.

Lots of pickup drivers around here get those things too... Dodge Ram logo most commonly, Ford or Chevy logo occasionally, etc.
For many drivers, looking (and sounding) cool and getting attention is more important than literally anything else.
Vanity is a cruel mistress.

Lights are too bright on most new stuff it’s light pollution… even worse is Emergency vehicle lighting which is idiotic - turn that foolishness down it promotes target fixation and destroys night vision …

For ages we drove around with incandescent bulbs and bubble gum Machines on top of the popo and everything was fine…
Yes I remember when most drivers actually cared about the welfare of our fellows and paid attention to the road. Now everyone is constantly distracted by something, with zero patience, zero impulse control, zero common sense, and entitled to make any maneuver at any time they want. Too bad the DMV hands out drivers licenses like Halloween candy. Eventually someone really important will get killed and that's when safety on public roads will finally get the attention it deserves... wishful thinking lol.

Hyundai/Kia products chew through 2357 tail lamp bulbs like candy 🍭

The Nissan crowd loves to drive around at night with DRLs only

Why is lighting so difficult 🤷‍♂️
A few weeks ago, a newer Hyundai/Kai was on the freeway in the dark; headlights were on, absolutely no lights in the back.
I'm on the road a lot for work, and I see this more and more....various brands, not just these.

And I have no idea how this epidemic of driving in the dark w/o headlights on, ever started... how can you possibly not see that your headlights aren't on -- I'm not talking a cloudy day, I'm talking at night. Or driving down the road for miles with your blinker on...

Back