Cars Without Tailights

I was behind a Subaru XV this morning in the dark and noticed this thing literally has about 25% of the tailight brightness of a normal vehicle . At first I thought it was just one of those ....... 1 out of 100 vehicles on the road that have no working tailights but no ...... it came from the factory like that. Talk about a bad design . The only part of the tailight that lights up is the inch or so next to the clear back up part on the outside of the tailight .

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 19-22-13 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Reviews Ratings Prices - Consumer R...jpg

I've seen numerous cars with what appears to be the headlights on, but no taillights on. Now they might just have DRLs on and the people think headlights are on because the instrument clusters are all illuminated now.
That would never happen to me in my Lex GS350...

Around me a lot of newer cars that have automatic headlights must have turned them to manual because they drive around with no lights at night.

Around here a lot of the foreign UCSB students drive everywhere with their brights on.
Classic 🙄
Around here, that's the default solution for an Uber/Lyft generic HondYota product because "changing bulbs is too difficult" 😤
Hey you 🫵, got a low beam out (or two)?
Don't fix it, just blind everybody else 👀
Be a ride share driver 🫡

NYPD be like 👨‍🦯

All Hyundai/Kias have at least one tail light out (usually all 3)
Uber Camrys and Accords usually lack low beam
Every CR-V has a tail lamp out
Avalon's all seem to lose the 3rd high mount LED CHMSL, no one wants to spend the labor to fix it 🫰
All older GM SUVs lack at least one DRL (this is a canon event)
And don't start me on the LED retrofit blinders
My retinas hurt 🤕

I've seen numerous cars with what appears to be the headlights on, but no taillights on. Now they might just have DRLs on and the people think headlights are on because the instrument clusters are all illuminated now.
It had tailights but just a small fraction of it lights up .

We was behind a full sized GMC suv with similar tail lights. You could clearly see the 3rd one but the two you could barely see. Don't know if it was factory or not. Usually it's just none at all around here. Funny the 3rd brake light always works.

I've seen drivers who drive at night with only the DRK's on. That means no tail lights! I have to wonder if these drivers never look at the gauge cluster.

I suspect something was amiss with that Subaru. Federal regulations concerning vehicle specifications including lighting are pretty strict and it either passed or had defective or modified lighting.

I see a lot of vehicles where the owners have applied some kind of tint to the tail light lenses. And I mean almost blacked out entirely for that stupid "murdered out" look. Not too bright on their part, no pun intended.

I'm also surprised at the number of newer cars that I see with one tail light out. How does this happen with modern cars ? I think the last time I actually replaced a bulb in a car was an incandescent headlight or tail light back around 1971.

I suspect something was amiss with that Subaru. Federal regulations concerning vehicle specifications including lighting are pretty strict and it either passed or had defective or modified lighting.

I see a lot of vehicles where the owners have applied some kind of tint to the tail light lenses. And I mean almost blacked out entirely for that stupid "murdered out" look. Not too bright on their part, no pun intended.

I'm also surprised at the number of newer cars that I see with one tail light out. How does this happen with modern cars ? I think the last time I actually replaced a bulb in a car was an incandescent headlight or tail light back around 1971.
Tail lights were probably burned out. What was still visible from the rear was most likely by design from the side marker portion of the lens assembly. A little 194 or something along with the --57s.

I've seen this accessory on a few Jeeps. Seems to a good job of cutting the light emitted from the brake lights:

1698344288451.jpg

Most cars I encounter have dim bulbs in the driver's seat. I'll see myself out…

Poor maintenance, poor design, poor implementations, poor regulations, or…all of the above. And that's before even taking mods into account, but some people don't understand that vehicle lighting are functional safety components, and not vanity items.

What stands out to me, in an age where light fixtures are program logic-controlled, is seeing only a fraction of the fixture being used, like a single small red segment used for tail/brake, when you know that in other jurisdictions, that would not meet requirements, and the other elements would come into play. BMW SUVs do this.

Toyota's penchant for tiny, high-candela brake lights may meet the letter of the regulations, but in practice aren't friendly to those following.

The automatic lights and even bright daytime driving lights can bring confusion if you’re used to and older vehicle with bad DDL’s and a manual light switch. To the driver, all is good.. even the dash lights can be on, but they have no illuminated taillights. I see this all the time and must confess I am part of the problem.

The dead giveaway in our 2022 4Runner is the obnoxiously bright white navigation system, which means the DDL’s are on. Turn the actual low beam headlights on and the screen goes to a dimmer black.

I wasn’t a fan of the 2015 era F-150 tail lights… sure they wrapped around, but if you were directly behind it basically all you saw was 2 tiny slivers of red with the rest being pretty much 90° out. The actual brake lights are decent though.
IMG_8685.jpeg

Back