Cars/Brands that do auto start-stop well

I thought the start/stop was seamless on the 07 Camry hybrid we had. It makes a huge difference not having a traditional starter. the engines on those things constantly turn on and off, and I thought it worked perfect, along with the CVT.

Being worried about it wearing out the starter sooner is one thing, but "hating the entire concept" is just luddite progress-hating for the sake of itself. Some people get offended at the very suggestion of better efficiency and lower emissions.
Save your judgmental ******** for somebody that cares . You call it " progress " , I don't .

If I am remembering correctly, I've only experienced it on 3 vehicles. A 2015 Malibu 2.5, a 2020 Cadillac XT4 (2.0 turbo) and our VW's (1.4 TSI). None of them are completely smooth, but the VW is smoother. I don't mind the system other than the extra wear it generates. So I just leave it shut off.

Usually you can only turn it off after you turn on the vehicle. After you turn the vehicle off and restart you have to hit the switch again to deactivate. Keep dreaming.
This is true but after using it in the real world on rentals and company vehicles I cannot ever own a vehicle that shuts off by design. Especially on an engine with belt driven A/C in Arizona. Truly an unnecessary feature with minimal fuel savings.

This is true but after using it in the real world on rentals and company vehicles I cannot ever own a vehicle that shuts off by design. Especially on an engine with belt driven A/C in Arizona. Truly an unnecessary feature with minimal fuel savings.
7-10% in city driving is a huge number. On an individual basis not so much but on a broader scale its a huge amount.

One and only car I bought used was a certified Volvo lol . What a heap . They could never get it to work right , didn't care though dumped it and never looked back

the only SS vehicle i might buy would need to have an easily disable of the system + of course a manual tranny!

I am glad my 2021 Honda HRV does not have that. It seems that this would be hard on the starter overime and my guess that starter will cost a small fortune to replace...
I have 21 CRV with stop start could be a smoother start but overall works reasonably well. I follow a couple of Honda forums and so far have never heard of anyone replacing a starter in 5th generation CRV (2017-21)

Back