Carquest Red R84090 multiple failures

Contact filter mfg. if their filter caused problem. They will pay for repair/replacement of motor. Be good if he has receipt where & when he purchased filter or had oil changed. But not necessary. If oil was changed at a shop, they would be held responsible for damages. And mfg should compensate shop for repair. I have sold parts that caused damages. Mfg stepped in and handled repairs and compensation to customer. Didn’t cost me, shop owner, a cent.

Contact Carquest customer service.

Last edited:
Contact filter mfg. if their filter caused problem. They will pay for repair/replacement of motor. Be good if he has receipt where & when he purchased filter or had oil changed. But not necessary. If oil was changed at a shop, they would be held responsible for damages. And mfg should compensate shop for repair. I have sold parts that caused damages. Mfg stepped in and handled repairs and compensation to customer. Didn’t cost me, shop owner, a cent.

Contact Carquest customer service.
Problem is, the customer didn’t install it, & has no proof (or idea) of how long ago the filter was installed. That’s why I pretty much change the oil IMMEDIATELY on any used car I (or family member) buy. That way I know what is in it & on it-as opposed to unknown or incorrect oil or filter. The lack of records gives Advance & the filter manufacturer an out.

Imo, without more information about the cartridge service history difficult to solely blame the cartridge here. Taken by itself, appears to be a failure. Otoh, if it was run outside the vehicle recommended fci, then that would be a contributing factor. As mentioned, without maintenance records I don't see a filter claim going anywhere. I read the comment that oil didn't appear overly dirty, average looking. Possible, the oil changed but not the cartridge.

Bottom line, a filter service history would be required to say topic cartridge failed in the vehicle manufacturer's recommended interval causing the engine issue.

Doesn't make it right, but my neighbor where I used to live has a 2018 Nissan Frontier. Went 23K on factory fill and filter. He asked me to change it. Filter was fine when I cut it open. Put synthetic and a walmart/supertech on. Finally convinved him to change it 11K later. Filter was torn at glue seems in a couple spots. He still bought another walmart filter and went 9K, this one was torn also.

I moved after that but still keep in touch. He's over 100K on the truck now (pulls a trailer with it for lawn maintenance.) Still going.

Probably 4-5 oil changes total, and running with torn filters. Bet lots of cars do to be honest.

To be clear, nothing wrong with a Supertech filter, but in this case, it was used way beyond it's intended purpose.

Pulled this out of a mid 20-teens Cadillac CTS with a 3.6 liter V-6. Vehicle actually came in for a check engine light and had variable cam timing performance codes for bank 2, had to break the news to him that the most likely culprit is pieces of the filter getting upstream into the engine and plugging the vct system up. No solution to his problem yet, as he didn't have the funds to tear it down and look. Other than the hole, it's torn at both ends, and you can see where the media is collapsed around the center tube.View attachment 139888View attachment 139889View attachment 139890View attachment 139891
Do you always do an oil filter autopsy every time a customer car is throwing codes? Very thorough. In 50 years of having vehicles serviced I have never had a mechanic cut open an oil filter. In fact I asked a mechanic to one time and he just laughed at me.

Do you always do an oil filter autopsy every time a customer car is throwing codes? Very thorough. In 50 years of having vehicles serviced I have never had a mechanic cut open an oil filter. In fact I asked a mechanic to one time and he just laughed at me.
Not necessarily, and truthfully in this case if it hadn't been a cartridge I likely wouldn't have based on the condition of the oil and everything else I was seeing, but I've probably cut 5 or so filters open in the last year due to either suspicion of a failure or to see if it was full of junk that could have been causing a given issue. Frankly if you suspect something internal going on dissecting the filter should be part of a comprehensive assessment.

Back