Car is too bouncy

So you've been successful in worsen your car. Great. (y)
Well, he's letting each side of the rear suspension operate without interfering with the other side now.... Better for low speed potholes without the side to side shake, and for off roading of course. I suspect the rear will stick a bit better in hwy speed bumpy corners too as a sharp bump on one side won't be transferred to the other.

I do have a pretty good imagination what happens as suspension development is my profession.
Still, the factory suspension is a composition you can't 'impove' by removing a single component.
SUVs with their raised COG use to have pretty stiff sway bars and that's for a reason. Their sway
bars are typically 100 % stiffer compared to passenger cars, quite often even more than that. If
the OP would have described his issue a little better I would have instantly given a suggestion.
Replacing both swaybars by thinner ones (if appropriate ones exist) instead of removing one of
them would have certainly been the much better alternative. Granted this is about using that car
on third world 'roads', so it doesn't gonna matter at all and not even worth a discussion.

I do have a pretty good imagination what happens as suspension development is my profession.
Still, the factory suspension is a composition you can't 'impove' by removing a single component.
SUVs with their raised COG use to have pretty stiff sway bars and that's for a reason. Their sway
bars are typically 100 % stiffer compared to passenger cars, quite often even more than that. If
the OP would have described his issue a little better I would have instantly given a suggestion.
Replacing both swaybars by thinner ones (if appropriate ones exist) instead of removing one of
them would have certainly been the much better alternative. Granted this is about using that car
on third world 'roads', so it doesn't gonna matter at all and not even worth a discussion.
Well why do SUV's have such stiff sway bars? Just body roll control on pavement? My old RC Tamiya Nissan Kingcab 2wd truck has very soft front springs, and a stiff enough front sway bar that you can see the whole front end lower in the corners. I don't recall seeing any real vehicles doing this in corners but it seems this would be a good setup for a vehicle with a good amount of suspension travel and a high CoG?

It's simply the high CoG. The 1997 Mercedes A Class 'elk test scandal'
certainly was a hugely contributing factor. From what I remember the
first gen M Class hit the markets about the same time or shortly after.
Remember the first gen A class was an oddly short and high compact
probably inspired MB's Smart micro car design.
What former DaimlerChysler AG did on the A class is more or less the
same receipt what also works on SUVs:
stiffer suspension including stiffer sway bars (mainly the front one for
increased understear), wider and better tires, ESP/ESC stability system.
MB/DC also may (not sure on that) have reduced wheel travel on the
A class which for obvious reasons isn't an appropriate option for SUVs.
After that the A class handled much better, much more stable, but the
downside was it rode like a 1975 MG. You can't have it all. MB decided
to design their third gen A class just like virtually any compact car, say
like a Golf or an Audi A3.
In recent years the invention and the growing market share of active air
suspensions, electronically controlled dampers and (again active) sway
bars made helped matching both handling and ride comfort requirements.

Back