Car Features You'd Pay To Remove

Anything that is considered a safety item that is instead very dangerous.
That was engineered by idiots that didn't properly think things out.
Like a thin tin can pressure vessel that has no over pressure relief system.
Also things like automatic brake systems that a road sign could set off, and cause the vehicle to go out of control.
Things like that.
Any thing fly by wire, which is about everything in all new cars n trucks now.

I intentionally deleted the sunroof on my last two SRT's, but I love my leather seats! (and dashboard, and door panels).

A lot of "leather" seats really aren't, but some are. Yes there's a difference. I'm not 100% sure what they do to sell their seats as leather butmaybe they mixed up some ground/minced leather in the vinyl.

Sales guy when I bought my truck couldn’t wrap his mind around me going from my relatively loaded 300 with leather/pano sun roof/8.4” radio to a 1500 Classic Tradesman with cloth seats and the monochrome gray text only radio lol

I like a nice radio, but if the one with the big screen doesn't sound any better then the monochrome display is all I need aswell.

LED headlights.

Well, off all other cars, maybe it'd be ok on only my car...
No, you'd hate them. When the snow is a particular consistency of slush, there's no heat from the bulbs to melt it off so you have to pull over and scrape/ wipe on a regular interval.

I'd pay to remove screens, they're glarey at night. The "main" screen on my Prius Prime can be turned off through a series of menu options but it comes back on if I get a text on my phone, and stays on.

I'm on the fence about a keyed ignition. I do really like "get in and go" but I also like stopping at my park n ride with the radio running, and being able to turn the engine off while leaving the radio on. Current push button setup is off-acc-on-off. :( So when I cycle the power, I get back to ACC, but the radio has to "boot" so I miss about six seconds of audio.

Rubber coated plastics. Never experienced it but I know 2000s German cars had the problem where they coated the interior plastics with a rubbery material to make it feel more “premium” but 10+ years of heat and such turns that rubber into a sticky, goopy disaster. Glad I haven’t owned a vehicle like that, I hate messy stuff.

I'd give up power windows in exchange for wing windows
I don’t think one has anything to do with the other; IIRC wing windows went away due to wind drag—pop it open, and that’s why your car is getting 15mpg and not 35mpg. ;). Ok not that bad but that’s what I’ve always read. OEM’s would rather you do AC than open a window.

But yeah, there are times where I’ll drive down the road, and cup my hand just right, and get a nice breeze… if the noise wasn’t so bad I’d miss wing windows, but TBH I came along long after they went away.

Don’t like cars. Too much technology. Ye drives ye horse and buggy.
This is probably the right answer!

Last edited:
No, you'd hate them. When the snow is a particular consistency of slush, there's no heat from the bulbs to melt it off so you have to pull over and scrape/ wipe on a regular interval.
Good point, forgot about that, and I’m not sure why, as I just did some driving the other day, fighting ice buildup on my windshield that the defroster would not keep up with.
I'd pay to remove screens, they're glarey at night. The "main" screen on my Prius Prime can be turned off through a series of menu options but it comes back on if I get a text on my phone, and stays on.
Wife has no love for the LCD in her hybrid and insists it can’t be turned off. Camry is different, somehow? it’s her car and I’m not going to read the 500 page manual to see if she’s right—but she has a masters degree, does accounting and is overall smarter than me—so I’ll take her at her word that it’s stuck on, no matter what.

Is kinda cool in her car to flip through the screens and find how many miles I have left on the tank, what my trip mpg is, and probably ten other things I don’t know I can do. Then I get into my car and am reminded that one of the lights burned out (the one for Drive) and… huh, something burned out and yet the car is 100% still drivable. All the mechanical controls are working just fine, and if one were to die, I could McGuyvier it, maybe.

A lot of "leather" seats really aren't, but some are. Yes there's a difference. I'm not 100% sure what they do to sell their seats as leather butmaybe they mixed up some ground/minced leather in the vinyl.
Yes, there's definitely a pretty wide range on this. My Audi had "leather", while my SRT and my M5 had/have leather.

Then some people have louder exhausts/engines which is more annoying :)
You probably wouldn't believe me, but the exhaust on the Jeep isn't much louder than stock when you start the vehicle (and is stock loudness when idling), it's quite docile and much, MUCH quieter than a horn. Yeah, it gets loud if you are hammering on it, but that's not happening in a residential neighbourhood.

My wife's truck does do a bit of a bark when she remote starts it however, but it's also pretty quiet immediately after that. It's still much quieter than a horn being honked multiple times.

Touche on the point however.

I’ve replaced far too many to trust or like them lol. Plus nothing beats turning a key. Had I not replaced so many I’d probably trust them a bit more. And most of the ones I replaced was on like really new stuff.
I've owned several vehicles with push button start and have never had an issue . In fact , I've never met anyone that ever said they did . " Nothing beats turning a key " ? Uh ..ok .

There are plenty of features that I could do without. But pay to remove them ?
Let's not give the manufacturers any ideas,
For some reason, lyric’s from Don Henley’s Dirty Laundry played across my mind when I read this. Kick ‘em going up, kick ‘em going down.

I've owned several vehicles with push button start and have never had an issue . In fact , I've never met anyone that ever said they did . " Nothing beats turning a key " ? Uh ..ok .
I’ve been watching too much Dylan McCool, Junkyard Digs and VGG lately, but, I’ve always wanted a beater truck that the “key” was a screwdriver in the ignition. I don’t know why…. Probably because it’s the antithesis of what ”the world” chases after, nice clean new shiny things. I go a different path and everyone leaves me alone, if not actively avoiding me.

I’m also a bit chagrined this year, having backed down my driveway and hitting the snowbank not once but twice. No nice cars for me in my future. Too expensive—and I’ll just ruin them—if not me, then the roadsalt sure will.

I’ve seen a lot of them fail. The button either gets stuck in or out. Most mechanics have seen it multiple times I’m sure. I know everyone I work with that I’ve asked has. What is the oldest model year car you’ve had with it? And do you keep them long term to see the failures? The oldest car I’ve replaced one in was a 2004 Malibu. The newest a 2022 Ascent. I will say I haven’t seen the failures be as wide in the past few years as I have with the stuff in the past that I’ve worked on. And like I mentioned to the other poster one failure wasn’t the cars fault as the lady had rear ended someone and smashed her foam cup of Mtn Dew all over the dash and start button. Sometimes the module has been the failure and caused it to stop working but mainly been the button.

Back