Car and Driver: Ford Moving toward Build-to-Order, Away from Packed Dealer Lots

You won't be able to order a stripped down model

At least pre-situation a stripper truck has never been a problem around here as long as you didn’t want a weird color. White = all day long, red or black a little harder but they were out there.

You know what - they sat because most of the people who say they will buy a stripper truck won’t really.

I don’t see multiple individual options coming back too complicated but maybe more flexible. Really I’ve never had a problem with packages except I wish you could get stuff without having to get leather…

Before I bought my Camaro, I didn't really know it was possible to order your car to specification. It was always "Here is what we have on the lots!" and finding that perfectly loaded option was nearly impossible. You always had to sacrifice features, color, etc... In some rare cases, the dealer could trade/ship a car from another lot and get you something close, but often it still didn't have all you wanted. But that was primarily a Toyota/Import thing, while I guess the domestic automakers typically allow you to order if you were willing to wait. Who knew!

My experience ordering my Camaro was as easy as could be and I would do it again, no question. Knew exactly what I wanted and then sat down with my salesperson to go over the order sheet, double checked and confirmed that order, put down a refundable $500 deposit and I was on my way. Exactly 8 weeks later, I was picking up my made-to-order Camaro 2SS. Exactly as I wanted it and I couldn't be more happy with the process. Even the dealership/salesperson experience was enjoyable, which is a rarity as we all know...

Dealerships should maintain a smaller on the lot inventory, but start pushing and making made-to-order vehicles more accessible (advertising, making people aware they can...) would be a step in the right direction. I would only suggest automakers allow customers to "lock in" incentives at the time of order/deposit, which really isn't the case now for the most part. At least in my experience, I was subject to whatever GM offered at time of delivery, not order. So that could scare some customers away from wanting to order.

Last edited:
Interesting move from Ford. Probably very smart as it will allow dealerships to reduce capital costs by shrinking their footprint along with staffing reductions. Ford need to do something rather than only sell to customers who believe they're entitled to buying a vehicle at cost.

The service department is paid by the customer as well, right? That big shiny beautiful showroom and all the people are not required for pulling wrenches.
Hmm...I think it depends on the automaker. The service dept at my local dealership deals almost exclusively on warranty work. They did give the dealers a bone however by doing away with free maintenance. Which reminds me that I need to have my brakes flushed next month.:unsure:

I work at a busy Ram Jeep store. You would be surprised how many sales are done by walking the lot and the customer saying, that one looks really good. And ends up buying it.
Good for Ford if they go to mostly made to order.
I see more sales going to Ram with that business model.
You know, you have a point here. When people do drag themselves to the dealer sometimes they find themselves going into a “buying mode”. They start looking around, their wives are with them...maybe she sees something nicer when they’re looking at whatever model. They walk over there, and the whole thing just steamrolls. Boom, they’re walking out of there spending $5,000 more than they anticipated. It happens, I’ve seen it. People don’t go car shopping everyday and when they do, sometimes they splurge or let the moment sweep them away.

Yet I do see benefits of made to order as well.

I think the whole concept is interesting, the question I have is...how long will it take to get your vehicle? Because that’s a big deal - you normally go to a dealer, chose a vehicle you like and you drive home with it that day or the next. It’s instant gratification and instant gratification is a HUGE THING with people ready to spend money. It’s a must in some people.

Yet I think that people hate going to a dealer. I do. I’d much rather avoid the whole thing if I could...just pick out the car I want online, order it and have it delivered to my house. Honestly the whole thing could be done right at your house (paper work, delivery). Actually the paperwork could be done online with things like docusign. Just click and sign. If I can finance an $840,000 dollar house that way, people can surely buy a $30,000 dollar car that way.

Hmm...I think it depends on the automaker. The service dept at my local dealership deals almost exclusively on warranty work. They did give the dealers a bone however by doing away with free maintenance. Which reminds me that I need to have my brakes flushed next month.:unsure:
It is an interesting question...who pays for that shiny, beautiful service department? Because like you said, a lot of it is warranty work...and a lot of people avoid the dealer like the plague because of inflated repair costs. Is charging $20-$30 bucks more an hour than an independent repair shop, really enough to build and maintain these large repair facilities at a dealer? And pay those techs? Because there might be 12 techs or more at a dealer. Granted flat rate and 70% of them struggling with hours and next to nothing in benefits, but we see what those service departments look like...granite counters, free coffee, free food. Some have golf simulators and fire places. Some have free loaners and car washes. Someone is paying for all this.

Our buyers can refuse a dealer trade or ordered unit, without penalty. We've had unicorn builds refused, we just put them into service as a parts truck or service loaner. I've never seen a buyer "forced" to buy a vehicle.

Right now, a local Ford dealer has the dumbest unicorn "Special Order" truck sitting on the lot. It's a long wheelbase Super Crew XL that someone ordered up, and it ended up with a higher sticker price than a nicely optioned XLT sitting right next to it.... but is sitting there with no tinted windows, steel wheels, and a black plastic grille. The $1100 towing package, but with a standard 3.31 non-limited slip rear end. The option list on it looks as if someone was flipping a coin to decide what to put on it.

However, in a year like this, it'll still sell somehow.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
You know, you have a point here. When people do drag themselves to the dealer sometimes they find themselves going into a “buying mode”. They start looking around, their wives are with them...maybe she sees something nicer when they’re looking at whatever model. They walk over there, and the whole thing just steamrolls. Boom, they’re walking out of there spending $5,000 more than they anticipated. It happens, I’ve seen it. People don’t go car shopping everyday and when they do, sometimes they splurge or let the moment sweep them away.

Yet I do see benefits of made to order as well.
Oh tell me about it. My wife gets sucked in every time. This time it was the 19" rims on a C300 of which we've had to buy a new set 2x within 25k miles and are currently running on fumes with the current set (1 new) because the lease is up in November. She has needed new tires since January but didn't want to spend the $$ because of the lease ending and the general lack of miles being driven.

From Glengarry Glen Ross movie" they don't walk on the lot if they didn't want to buy- they are there for you to take their money (in the film a "lot" was a parcel of residential real estate- principal still the same).

One only needs to drive by some of the most successful volume Ford dealers in the USA located in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc...on a Saturday. Jam packed with Buyers every Saturday. These mega dealers are selling new trucks and SUVs that are on their lot. And they make a killing. Their volume and high profit- is centered on uniformed customers who want it now. No way Ford is going to substitute long term market share for profit per vehicle.

I sense that "Build to Order Vehicles", prior to current environment, were the least profitable sale on a macro basis for large volume Form, GM, and RAM dealers.

A manufacturer would want the factory running at full capacity, the same number of cars leaving the factory every day. That is relatively simple if they're doing mostly standard builds. If it's all custom orders, varying customer demand is going to sometimes overwhelm the factory and sometimes leave it idle. The lead time to get a car would be considerable.

Reactions: GON
Right now, a local Ford dealer has the dumbest unicorn "Special Order" truck sitting on the lot. It's a long wheelbase Super Crew XL that someone ordered up, and it ended up with a higher sticker price than a nicely optioned XLT sitting right next to it.... but is sitting there with no tinted windows, steel wheels, and a black plastic grille. The $1100 towing package, but with a standard 3.31 non-limited slip rear end. The option list on it looks as if someone was flipping a coin to decide what to put on it.

However, in a year like this, it'll still sell somehow.
everything but the rear axle sounds perfect!

It would be great if I could get the vastly more reliable manual crank windows.
The crank up windows exist only for the base base version. If you want an extended cab they wouldn't bother to design crank regulators for those larger doors, because only about 3 people would buy them.

Because it looks like a work vehicle.
Dodge was onto something and had the right idea when I bought my truck in 2011. You could get a tradesman with options and different colors.
I got my tradesman “worktruck” complete with manual windows, manual locks, manual side mirrors, manual seats and none of the driver nannies.
I did get a few things that I wanted. Satellite radio, sliding back glass, chrome package (because I’m old school and like chrome), carpet, and 3.55 gears (the best of both worlds gear ratio IMO) Unlike the other manufacturers work trucks, they all came with a V8 standard at that time.
I’ve always liked silver so that was the color of choice for me. She is the perfect “stripped truck with a few options” that I was looking for. I think she looks good for a work truck. 5CB52944-BBA4-4761-B1B9-58683285620C.jpeg

I like the special order concept however I believe for the most part people want to walk into a dealership, buy the car, and go home within a couple of hours. The dealerships order way too many cookie cutter vehicles. I like red interiors on certain vehicles (especially Corvettes) but they are not the easiest to find on dealer lots. I believe there are a large number of consumers who have never special ordered a vehicle.

Back