Can’t get matching struts from RockAuto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to just eat the shipping cost and return them. Thankfully RockAuto has negotiated ridiculously low shipping prices. I instead ordered the Sachs struts for the van. I like KYB stuff but I feel this is going to be an endless loop of returning parts. Sachs are typically also high quality, although I honestly don't know what is OEM on my van. Hopefully they look the same and are both new when they get here

Originally Posted by Klutch9
Here is the response from KYB, who responded very quickly FWIW:

Erik,

Since you verified the stamping is correct, there's no need to send additional pictures. The reason for these differences is because both struts were built in different KYB plants in Japan. The top nut and striker caps, even though they are different, it is purely visual. Functionality and installation is the same.

We try to stay as consistent as possible across our assembly plants, but sometimes due to plant location and tooling present in each plant, the components used are slightly different. They are, however, all built to the same level of quality and the designs have all passed our OEM level standards for durability and inspection. They will both work exactly the same when installed onto your vehicle.

Imagine what you can't see that are not matching. However, unless you are racing, the car's weight itself is not evenly distributed. It is going to be slightly off from the beginning to the end, and you should be ok.

Sachs, Boge, Bilstein, Koni are all are very good, personally I would rather have any one of them than KYB, Monroe or Gabriel or any of the Chinese stuff.
Mono tube is the premium for performance but also the most money in a daily driver you wont notice much difference if any over the twin tube designs.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I don't care what KYB says about them being "identical". No way in H/E/L/L would I use mismatched components like this.

HAHA, You don't think the car makers do the same thing right on the assembly line? Parts sourced from various manufacturers each of which make parts at numerous plants throught the world. A GM strut made in Mexico on the left and one made in Canada on the right.

Some years ago, I had same situation with a set of Gabriels. Was just a production change with no difference in valving, I put them on, the struts still perform well to this day. I wouldn't worry.

You have the blessing of the mfr tech support...I would use them without a second thought.

The manufacturer vouches for them, put them on and go onto other things in life.

If you had went to a shop that sold and installed these sight unseen, you would be many miles down the road on them with no functional issue and oblivious to any manufacture differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back