KYB Strut Plus SUCK

After owning these for a few weeks and having to warranty the driver front assembly 3 times, I finally give up. It’s not fair that I nor anyone should have to pay over $500 for 4 new struts just for them to make noise and also for us having to spend our precious time installing and removing them numerous times because of faulty/low grade parts that were used to initially build them at the factory level.

Out of curiosity, I ended up taking apart the driver’s front strut top mount on the KYB Strut Plus assembly. I discovered that the chintzy bearing was pretty much seized. It literally looked so cheap to the point where I wasn’t surprised at all at the problems I was having with these units. I put it back together and sent them back to RA (awaiting for refund atm).

I have a 2000 Camry and these are not great for my application. But I would still steer away from these or at least right now because the current production on them are garbage. I discovered over at the CRV forums that those owners LOATHE these assemblies because they cause so many issues like the ones I’m having. I don’t think KYB even cares that they’re doing this to people since they throw a rebate your way possibly in hopes that you turn a blind eye at the issues.

I took advantage of Toyota’s Black Friday/Cyber Monday 25% off sale on all parts (thanks slacktide_bitog for the heads up!) and bought all new Toyota struts. I even went to the junkyard and found a low mile V6 Camry like mine that had all original shocks and springs and removed them and brought them home since I needed all of the OEM parts from the assemblies (top mount plates and such). The PO of my car had some real low quality quick struts and I also found out that they left out some hardware too.. I know myself and I knew that this wasn’t going to slide under my ownership.. I’m all OEM or OEM Manufacturer loyal when it comes to purchasing parts for my vehicles.

In the end I’m paying out the wazoo for an older Camry but this is just in my nature. I won’t settle for less nor treat any of my vehicles in any other manner. If I own it, I keep it as pristine as possible and do everything I can to recapture that original drive and feel of these cars from when they were new from factory.

Thanks for reading my somewhat long suspension saga lol

Attachments

• IMG_4932.jpeg
    IMG_4932.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_4935.jpeg
    IMG_4935.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 218
Yeah…

Yeah…

Tried everything before saying the hell with it to the whole thing honestly. Wanted to save them the best I could but at the same time I highly disliked the stiffer ride that they provided. My understanding is that 97-01 Camry’s drive very similarly to ES300’s of that same era since Toyota used a lot of Lexus parts on these years. My car felt like a lowered civic with KYB’s Strut Plus..

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with KYB's quick struts :cry:

Too bad Toyota doesn't make OEM quick struts. Honda and Ford make them for some cars, and Mando makes OE quick struts for many cars where they are the OE supplier (mostly Korean cars).

KYB seems to have more trouble with their aftermarket strut mounts than others :poop:

Tried everything before saying the hell with it to the whole thing honestly. Wanted to save them the best I could but at the same time I highly disliked the stiffer ride that they provided. My understanding is that 97-01 Camry’s drive very similarly to ES300’s of that same era since Toyota used a lot of Lexus parts on these years. My car felt like a lowered civic with KYB’s Strut Plus..
I get it, we’ve been with you through the journey. I’ve tried a couple sets, never been happy. Buckboard ride. My ‘96 Explorer was just awful with KYB. I threw them out after 5,000 miles they were so bad.

Feels like they make a set that fits a bunch of cars, then they make them stiff enough for the heaviest, and if you’re on the lighter end of the range, you get an awful ride.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with KYB's quick struts :cry:

Too bad Toyota doesn't make OEM quick struts. Honda and Ford make them for some cars, and Mando makes OE quick struts for many cars where they are the OE supplier (mostly Korean cars).

KYB seems to have more trouble with their aftermarket strut mounts than others :poop:
KYB was a decent company before but unfortunately I cannot resonate the sentiment anymore..

I get it, we’ve been with you through the journey. I’ve tried a couple sets, never been happy. Buckboard ride. My ‘96 Explorer was just awful with KYB. I threw them out after 5,000 miles they were so bad.

Feels like they make a set that fits a bunch of cars, then they make them stiff enough for the heaviest, and if you’re on the lighter end of the range, you get an awful ride.
Had them on my ‘02 F150 as well and they sucked. Threw in Bilstein’s and never looked back.

That’s what happens when you buy with champagne taste sometimes you get better tasting cider. “Someone” on here recommended SENSEN.
It was more for the convenience factor of not having to remove springs and stuff but boy did it go the complete opposite way for me lol. Live and learn..

I never bought a set of aftermarket shocks, that rode as well as OEM.
But that can be hit or miss, I suppose.

Had a 2018 Subaru Forester and the wiper blades lasted 3 years. So I bought OEM naturally. They lasted 1 year. Roll the dice.

I have 20k miles on KYB quick struts on my wife's 2010 Civic. No complaints. Also have rear KYB shocks. Much better than the Monroe's I took off the car. 💩🤮

I put Kyb quick struts on the Prius along with their rear shocks and springs with no issues. Rides like new again. We'll see how they do over the long term.

Are these are the struts where you decided not to follow the mounting instructions, and threw away the factory hardware and used an impact gun- both specifically forbidden in the KYB instructions?

That’s what you described previously:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-kyb-strut-plus-popping-noise-on-turns.376088/

After years modding at TN, we’ve observed quick strut failures almost always come down to installation errors. This seems another case of that.

Those replacement strut assemblies are put together like some clutch kits. The main part, the strut, like the clutch disc and pressure plate, are made in house and of good quality. It's the other parts that make it up that is cheap Chinese junk, like the bearing plate, spring, bellows and cushion, or on clutch kits, the throw out and pilot bearings.

Springs rarely wear out unless you're over 250,000 miles. I'd rather have an old oem spring on a new strut than a whole new aftermarket strut assembly.

I dont think we need 3 or 4 threads on this, the first and same thread would have been sufficient, but thank you for sharing the anecdote.

Thank you for the feedback. I was looking at KYB, but no more. Do need shocks for my GS300 though... Once OEM Shocks, coil springs, and top hats are considered - the price on a set makes a good set of coilovers look cheap. So I guess I may just go for coilovers and try to get them to a very mild drop, compared to OE height.

Back