KYB Strut Plus SUCK

Yes KYB makes some of Toyota's OEM dampers/shocks and that is to Toyota's SPECIFICATIONS! Not what KYB is selling in the aftermarket. BIG DIFFERENCE.. This keeps being repeated as if the aftermarket KYB is the same quality as Toyota's specs, it is not. Far from it!
I didnt say they were made to the same spec.

The KYB struts on my elantra are now worn out. They went on at 70k, it has 112k now. 40k miles is not a great lifespan. I'm going to check with the dealer for prices on Mando, if its outrageous i guess i'll try monroe or gabriel.
Why not just warranty replace the KYBs?

I never bought a set of aftermarket shocks, that rode as well as OEM.
But that can be hit or miss, I suppose.

Had a 2018 Subaru Forester and the wiper blades lasted 3 years. So I bought OEM naturally. They lasted 1 year. Roll the dice.
If you had a GM you’d likely feel differently. We replaced a GM strut with OE 2x. They began leaking at 65k. Not wanting to spend all that money (these were warranty struts covered), we went Bilstein B6. Hard to believe they don’t cost more online. Rear shocks a little more like $20 each.

The thing is human nature and Profit margins. Look at any muffler shop and outside will be complete struts removed from vehicles strewn all over.

Quick struts are for muffler shops to capitalize on labor savings and charge full price. Not to provide the vehicle owner with the same ride. How could they do that? They have mounts springs shocks all in one. Price them out OE, there’s no way. Plus springs are not disposable, and they serve a serious function and control the ride.

Our GM was $900 quoted at a muffler shop. I asked what kind of parts, Gabriel all in one. Dealer $1200. Just for front.

Buying Bilsteins online, all new GM OE (mounts, boots, sway bar end links, bump stops, Moog sway bar bushings), paying a garage to install, was high $800’s out the door. But that was 2020 likely labor is more now, they charged about $400.

My .02

I agree, I would at least try going thru RA for a warranty claim. I just did it for an FCS axle with short-lived CV boot. It was relatively painless except you have to either first pay for a replacement and then get refunded, or wait for shipping time back to them and then out to you -- none of that is really RA's fault.

my last KYBs were like solid pogo sticks and the monroe's were like bouncing around on shocks that wore out 100k miles ago; way too soft. these were their "OE-grade" replacements LOL. what a lie. should be illegal to use the term OEM like that.

Had 3 sets of KYB's in my 70 Chevelle. All kept leaking then I realized that the the newer KYB products are not made where they used to be and are now crap.

even ones that are still made in the US and Japan would have the same problems

They only have the mando quick strut, i'm not a fan of quick struts, but if the dealer price on struts is crazy, then its an option. I wish they had the Mando bare struts.

What's wrong with Mando quick struts? Mando probably makes the mounts and other parts as well :unsure:

Ford and Honda actually do sell OEM quick struts at the dealer. So Ford, Honda, and some cars where Mando is the OE supplier can have OEM quick struts :)

even ones that are still made in the US and Japan would have the same problems

What's wrong with Mando quick struts? Mando probably makes the mounts and other parts as well :unsure:

Ford and Honda actually do sell OEM quick struts at the dealer. So Ford, Honda, and some cars where Mando is the OE supplier can have OEM quick struts :)
What I like about Mando is their website specifies that if they made the OE unit, their aftermarket offering is the OE unit. Really curious to see how their other aftermarket offerings fare. Not too many reviews or experiences posted out there yet.

e

I think Mando is the OE supplier to Hyundai. I don't like quick struts in general. I'd rather buy the OE mount , and strut, and keep my spring. Maybe the mando quick strut has an OE spring , or maybe its a generic.

If the dealer price on the bare strut is out there, then as i said, the mando quick strut will be an option.

I think Mando is the OE supplier to Hyundai. I don't like quick struts in general. I'd rather buy the OE mount , and strut, and keep my spring. Maybe the mando quick strut has an OE spring , or maybe its a generic.

If the dealer price on the bare strut is out there, then as i said, the mando quick strut will be an option.

I can't even find Hyundai's official parts site :cautious:

However, They seem to cost around $225 each, plus another $120 for each strut mount.

The site also asks whether your Elantra was made in the US or South Korea. There might be some differences, but I don't think the struts would be different, but just double check.

What I like about Mando is their website specifies that if they made the OE unit, their aftermarket offering is the OE unit. Really curious to see how their other aftermarket offerings fare. Not too many reviews or experiences posted out there yet.
Good to know, as i will need struts for the hyundai, and mando does offer a quick strut. I'm not a fan of them , unless its all OE.

I've seen one post on another forum where someone compared Mando to OEM.

The springs don't even have the same number of windings.

The springs also have the Mando logo painted on them.

If it's actually OE resold as aftermarket usually the car manufacturer logo is ground off. I don't see any signs of that.

Getting OE quick strut for this cheap seems like a pipe dream to me.

Back