Can't get knuckle back on the strut.

2003 Honda Insight. Replaced the right strut but can't get the knuckle back into the strut mounting holes. Got one bolt in but the other one won't line up.

IMG_5388.JPG

Did I over extend the inner cv joint so it came apart? The boot looks pretty stretched out,

IMG_5390.JPG

compared to the other side,

IMG_5393.JPG

Can I work it back together without removing the axle from the car?

You will need to put another floor jack under the brake rotor and lift it a bit to rotate the bolt hole inward until you can get a chisel/punch/screwdriver into one side of the upper hole. Once you have that chisel/punch/screwdriver in place, you should be able to leverage the hole into alignment so the bolt will fit through the other side.

I've had to use this method on many, many Honda front struts.

You will need to put another floor jack under the brake rotor and lift it a bit to rotate the bolt hole inward until you can get a chisel/punch/screwdriver into one side of the upper hole. Once you have that chisel/punch/screwdriver in place, you should be able to leverage the hole into alignment so the bolt will fit through the other side.
I tried that but it would not go in any more. That the boot looks twisted as well as extended has me thinking the joint came apart.

Different but I had such an experience with a top engine strut (GM). Came out easily and replacement would not line up. Matched old with new and identical. I think Nukeman is right, leverage is needed and it defies common sense…

Put floor jack under rotor. The knuckle will swing up into the strut. Put a long alignment bar such as a drift punch through the holes of the strut and the knuckle to hold them in place until you get the upper bolt through. Some cars like GM will have the bolts and the knuckle splined so that the bolts stay still as you turn the nuts. Those kind have to be tapped in with a hammer.

Push the top of the rotor inwards so that the knuckle will swing up and the CV joint will push together at the same time.

100% the inner CV joint is separated, and all the leverage in the world won't force it. If you want any chance of saving the joint your best bet is to get the CV nut off and pull the axle out of the knuckle, and if you're lucky you might be able to get the inner joint to line up and slide back together. May have to take the knuckle clear off and/or take the axle out of the trans to get it done though. Good luck.

What more would that do then reseating in it's place?
If you think the inner CV joint being separated is preventing the knuckle from rotating inward, releasing the CV axle nut and pushing the axle inward to reseat the spider and bearings should give you the ability to align the hole. Once, I had to loosely install both bolts of the spindle to the strut first (with the 3 upper strut seat studs unfastened) and then raise the entire assembly with a floor jack to align and fasten the upper nuts to the fender. That method is much easier to perform with a helper.

100% the inner CV joint is separated, and all the leverage in the world won't force it. If you want any chance of saving the joint your best bet is to get the CV nut off and pull the axle out of the knuckle, and if you're lucky you might be able to get the inner joint to line up and slide back together. May have to take the knuckle clear off and/or take the axle out of the trans to get it done though. Good luck.
Ok not a big deal. Already have the tie rod off, the sway bar off, both strut bolts loose. Would only have to remove the axle nut and hopefully can slide the outer joint out without removing the ball joint.

If you think the inner CV joint being separated is preventing the knuckle from rotating inward, releasing the CV axle nut and pushing the axle inward to reseat the spider and bearings should give you the ability to align the hole.
I mean can't I push it in while attached to the knuckle just the same? The only reason the knuckle isn't rotating inward is because the inner joint popped out. Yes it would be easier to do it with the axle out of the car but would try this first.

Back