Cant find the ACEA requirement for my 2006 Toyota 1.8 vvti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

i bought a 2006 Toyota Corolla 1.8 vvti (1ZZFE) and i want to do an oil change, but in the manual there is no mention of any ACEA requirement for the petrol engines. The only info for the petrol engines is this;

20w50 & 15w40
api SJ or SL

10w30, 5w30 (prefered) & 5w20
api SJ, SL or ILSAC

I asked on my local Toyota forum, on an Uk toyota forum. No real answer on this..

Found a 5w30 Eneos Premium Hyper S at a great price. "Designed for modern engine technologies from Toyota, Honda and
other Japanese, European and American OEMs requiring ACEA C2 standard oils"

http://eneos.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/PREMIUM-HYPER-S-5W30-FULLY-SYNTHETIC-PDS.pdf

When i use some oil finder of various oil companies i get oils that are C2 or C3, but i dont know which would be better. Can also find the genuine toyota 5w30 oil that is also ACEA C2 oil and they state it's compatible with all toyota engines, but im still unsure about this. Why wouldnt the just specify such an important info in the manual??

If someone knows more on this, i would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Ben

Last edited:
It's a Toyota. Does it really matter? It will last forever on the cheapest conventional oil you can find.

Go by the owners manual. Get a viscosity that best fits your climate temperatures.

Can you get Motul in Croatia.? Here is a very high end product of their’s. It’s rated C3. The advice in your owners manual is saying “ use whatever weight of oil you want. It’s your choice.”

Last edited:
You're spoilt of choice in going for A3B3/A3B4/C3 xW40 xW50 in lieu of specified SJ/SL xW40,xW50 , and alternatively
you may also go for A1B1/A5B5/C2 xW30 in lieu of SJ/SL xW30.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Toyota isn't picky about oil like European cars are
smile.gif

@Artem Yeah, im still breaking her in at just 75000 miles so im picky about the oil still. Haha. She's treating me well. Almost no maintenance costs and replacement parts are cheap here, so im ok with spending a bit more on the oil. Here we have winters that are usually around 0 degrees celsius, but a short drop to even -25 is possible. I guess my best options would be 5w30 or 5w40 considering the hot summers. It can get to 38 degrees or so. My mechanic is the main mechanic at Toyota service and he told me not to experiment and stick to 5w30. He thinks it's the best option for this engine.

@Snagglefoot Yeah we have Motul here. it has a good reputation, but Eneos has an even better reputation. Would you put Motul above Eneos?

@zeng What option would you consider the best? Im inclined to stay with 5w30, so the A1B1/A5B5/C2 xW30 spec oil would be the best choice or am i losing something compared to A3B3/A3B4/C3 (5w30??)

@slacktide_bitog Thanks!! Nah, it's nonsense what the eu car co's are doing. Would never buy any of the newer eu cars. Toyota for me all the way.

@Rolla07 sounds great
smile.gif

@ YotaVerso. No experience with Eneos but a certain local chain carries Motul , where as most larger chains such as Walmart and Canadian Tire do not carry it. My first experience with Motul was from reading the posts of Europeans on this forum. I like how Motul lists the the specs on the front of the bottle rather than the back. Impressive specs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Toyota isn't picky about oil like European cars are
smile.gif

2006 and a 1.8vvti...to the OP...ask a dealer if engine is under recall...those engines have cylinder liners wich were not tempered adequately...so sooner or later your engine will start to consume oil...
smile.gif

Anyways...at that time we were using Mobil1 5w30 acea C3...

Just choose C3 over C2...it has higher HTHS (3.5 vs 2.9 minimum)

All are ok....C3...BMW LL-04....MB 229.51....but I think that leading is VW with 507.00

It really depends where do you live....read this as.....It depends wich cert cany you buy locally and for what price
wink.gif

Yeah...thats because of the global trend towards greener footprint...

Thats why we see more and more low/mids SAPS oils on the market...

Checked out Motul oils here. Some stores offer them but very few and the prices are a bit higher. 5l would be around 45-50$. I can get some of these top Eneos oils for around 25$ for 4l. It's lower than the usual price. Some unknown store is selling it. Usually it would be around 35$. Motul is well known and respected, but im leaning toward Eneos. It's only on the market here for maybe 5 years but people are very confident about it and you cant hear a bad word about it.

@Ded Mazai i dont want to use anything other than 5w30. Talked to the mechanic and did some research. I think it's best to use what the co thinks is best. I was talking to my mechanic and asked him about 5w40 and the hot summers. He said that it's irrelevant to the oil or the car if it's very hot. The engine has it's working temp of around 85 degrees c and thats the only thing that matters. Also changing to something thicker or thinner can create a problem in some situations. Basically i dont know enough to be sure about anything other than what the co recommends. In my case thats 20w50, 15w40, 10w30, 5w30 (prefered) & 5w20 and i dont know if any of the other options would be really better than 5w30. For now im playing it safe...

@Kamele0N they had a problem till mid or end 2005. Not sure now, but 100% sure that since 2006 it's resolved. As far as i know they had a design flaw on the heads and replacing them would solve the problem. They still consume a bit, but nowhere near what the old engines with that problem would.

Ok, if i understood correctly a c3 oil would give a better protection than a c2 oil?

Now im looking at Eneos Premium Hyper 5w30

API SN/SM/CF
ACEA C3 (10) A3/B3/B4 (08)
VOLKSWAGEN: 505 00/505 01/502 00
MERCEDES-BENZ: MB 229.51 & 229.31
BMW LongLife 04
GM Dexos 2

Link

I can get 4 liters for around 25$. last time i took this oil but 5w40 and it was around 35$ so the offer is really great. Thinking of even buying 2x4l so i have it for the next service...

What do you think about this oil?

Last edited:
I don’t believe that oil actually carries any of the listed specifications.

Originally Posted By: YotaVerso

API SN/SM/CF
BMW LongLife 04
GM Dexos 2

Link

I can get 4 liters for around 25$. last time i took this oil but 5w40 and it was around 35$ so the offer is really great. Thinking of even buying 2x4l so i have it for the next service...

API SN/SM/CF
BMW LongLife 04
GM Dexos 2

Link

Go for it, without hesitation.

Last edited:
@kschachn why do you think that?

First off they list them under a title of "Performance Levels" which is often a term used when oils do not actually carry the certifications, as opposed to saying "Manufacturer Approvals". Beyond that it is not listed on the API website nor on the list of MB certified oils. It also is worded incorrectly for an actual MB certified oil (must be worded “MB-Approval 229.51”). I didn't check any of the other listed certs but it's a pretty good sign that if they are weasel wording a few then they are weasel wording the rest.

The pictures of the containers I found online are not labeled properly for an API oil either. It would say “SAE 5W-30” not “5W30”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back