Canned fish?

Canned fish in oil, esp olive oil, is great cold weather food. I like smoked mussels and oysters as long as they don't come from China.

I like smoked mussels and oysters as long as they don't come from China.
I haven’t had those yet - most of the canned seafood at TJ’s is from Spain, Italy, Poland, Portugal or Thailand.

I’ve bought Patagonia Provisions’(yes, that Patagonia) roasted garlic mackerel and a baguette on a whim a few months ago. It was good. My cat would approve if she was alive.

Do any of you folks eat canned fish? (besides tuna)

Sardines, kippers, pacific saury, smoked oysters, salmon.. those kinds of things.

What is your favorite way to eat them?
I like the king oscar brand... this particular is my favorite. I eat them on non salted crackers

Kippered herring from Canada. Good stuff!

3AE2323C-85D3-4A9E-A5AB-E9BE26F690F7.jpeg

Just bought a bunch of these yesterday. Can't find the Riga brand anymore, but these taste exactly the same to me - probably from the same factory. Both are made in Latvia.

Taste awesome with freshly squeezed lemon.

Nws0HW4.jpg

My parents feed me this "Fried Dace with Salted Black Beans" can food with porridge / congee in the morning when I was a toddler. It was ok, but I think I had enough in my life that I will not eat another can unless it is with them for nostalgia reason. It taste like an overcooked fried fish steamed with a mild soy sauce. Enough sauce to make your plain carb flavorful so you can eat them all up.

love smoked oysters and smoked clams, boneless kippered herrings, sardines less so. all excellent emergency foods. my dad loved bottled herring or mackerel in sour cream, but i never acquired that taste.

Sprats are great but hard to find in Georgia,usa.Kippered herring ,anchovies,fish steaks in mustard or hot sauce or a good sardine(the tomato jalapeno lime in the latin foods section is pretty good).Canned mackerel is good as a alternative to canned salmon.Mack patties are good and I used to make a rice dish with mackerel (deboned)onion, garlic ,red pepper and other spices that was pretty good ,it was a coastal Carolina island dish I found on line.I've had to avoid that due to diabetes.....suketh.

King Oscar's Mediterranean Mackerel is the finest meat I have ever had from a can. Tastes awesome poured over steamed broccoli with curry seasoning. MW Polar Herring Low Sodium are great as well, if looking for something a little more heart healthy. Lightly smoked and just salty enough for good flavor. Outside of canned, smoked salmon is hard to beat.

Love it. We live near a few Portuguese markets that carry a wide assortment; bacalao in olive oil, kippers, sardines in various sauces, spicy sardine paste, etc. Great snacks.

I love canned fish. And especially love to make a pasta dish with garlic, onion, tomato and parsley and top it with sardines. Really fun to microwave it at work in the break room then sit close to my buddy who hates the strong smell of sardines.....lol

Back