Canned fish?

I used to buy smoked oysters until I read the label. Canned in China. Anything that comes from the N. Atlantic I'll eat. Mostly cold weather food.

I will eat most any canned fish.

Used to eat Cod livers in their own juices

I prefer the very small Smoked “Hot” oysters with crackers.

I like Mediterranean style mackerel and close 2nd Mediterranean style sardines (bristling only)

Organic anchovies in oil (the ones that aren’t salted)

And Curried herring .

I used to eat kippered herring years ago but like cod livers hard to find a good brand.

When I’m in Door county I will grab smoked fish or a fish boil, nothing local worth getting though

It’s very unfortunate as some posters above allude to that it is difficult to walk into a regular store and not end up with Chinese sourced products, my last “wild caught” frozen salmon Purchased at the grocery store had the China label in little letters under the plastic fold.
What’s worse are the sheer numbers of drugs and vitamins that are now Chinese.
The sanitation and common sense over there is simply all over the map,
In terms of food and drugs it’s too bad we don’t have the will to ban anything but actual Native Chinese food And Chinese herbals coming out of China, I don’t want or need Chinese Advil or Chinese Salmon or Chinese vitamin C

Last edited:
I get the urge for canned tuna now and then. One more thing my wife and I can’t agree on. She buys the albacore packed in water (ugh), I prefer the olive oil. We buy the water, when I make tuna salad I drain the water and mix in olive oil. She loves it. Another one of my deathbed confessions.

I was at Whole Foods the other night ago and they have a sale on Patagonia’s(yes, that Patagonia) canned mackerel in oil. Bought it on a whim, with a locally-baked baguette. Let’s just say I didn’t grow whiskers and meowed at people as a cat would.

Ok, how many folks here eat caviar? Be honest

It's good when used strategically. A local restaurant serves it as a "side" to their lobster bisque. The caviar is served on a cracker topped with creme fraiche and some herb stuff. Pretty much hides the fish flavor but you can sense there's a rich flavor.

I like kippered herring, sardines, and canned tuna. I like canned salmon when made like tuna fish sandwiches. Canned mackerel is pretty good when made into fish cakes.

Some time ago when we lived in the Upper Peninsula we would harvest buckets of suckers during the spring run and can them.

Tastes like chicken salmon, LOL. Man, we lived on a tight budget when first married. Turning up the winter thermostat at 2am meant tossing a few logs in the wood furnace.

Photo stolen off the net:
IMG_0795.JPG

Costco Albacore canned tuna is better than any of the major name brands sold in grocery stores.

An no, it is not better than the fresh tuna that was bled and iced the minute it was caught and cooked fresh a few hours after it left the boat.

I don’t eat any of that stuff I don’t like the taste of tuna and just the thought to me is gross lol. I do eat fish in restaurants and when we make it at home.

Season Brand sardines in olive oil, large portions, priced reasonably, and no bones or skin. Just discovered them at Costco and like them alot. I don't use crackers, etc, just straight from the tin.

I like the canned herring fillets in various sauces on Ritz crackers.

Provided the can before opening is tight, under a vacuum, and not leaking, ANY canned meat, fish or veggies can be eaten right out of the can. It has been heated to around 121 degrees C and should be sterile for all practical purposes. Especially good value is canned sardines!

Back