Canadian Tire basic filter no longer a Fram clone

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good news for Canadians. I was in CT yesterday and I noticed that the in-house brand basic Motomaster filter was different. It was still a plain white can, but the lettering was plain black and a different font. Upon turning over the filter, it no longer looked like a typical Fram. Looking inside the filter, there was a metal coil spring at the end and there were larger, but fewer inlet holes. The filter felt heavier as well. I have no idea who the manufacturer is.

There are still the older style Fram clones on the shelf as well, but you can see that these new filters are replacing them.

Good to know! Maybe CTC had some quality problems or the contract was up with FRAM and they were going to increase the price and went with another supplier.

Change for the good. I should cut one open!
20.gif

I guess somethings don't translate well

BB IS MORE ADVANCED THAN OTHERS FROM COMPARE

What other products are made in Compare? Where is Compare, anyway?
54.gif

Then again, the old "Coke Adds Life" campaign of the late 70's and early 80's didn't translate well either. In Japanese it translated to "Coke will bring your ancestors back from beyond the grave" ..and, iirc, "Coke will allow you to talk to your old dead uncle" in German.

..but that all being said, I imagine that they're more focused on their product than they are at media productions for the western world. I'll take that over a fancy website and lousy facilities.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I guess somethings don't translate well

BB IS MORE ADVANCED THAN OTHERS FROM COMPARE

What other products are made in Compare? Where is Compare, anyway?
54.gif

Then again, the old "Coke Adds Life" campaign of the late 70's and early 80's didn't translate well either. In Japanese it translated to "Coke will bring your ancestors back from beyond the grave" ..and, iirc, "Coke will allow you to talk to your old dead uncle" in German.

..but that all being said, I imagine that they're more focused on their product than they are at media productions for the western world. I'll take that over a fancy website and lousy facilities.

That's entirely possible seeing that Coke was originally formulated with cocain.

I put one of these new Motomaster oil filters on my wife's car today, so hopefully it turns out to be a decent filter. I had an old AC Delco filter (which are made by Wix in Canada) and was going to use that one, but it's at least 5 years old or more, so I got worried that it was past it's shelf life.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
I was in CT yesterday and I noticed that the in-house brand basic Motomaster filter was different.

I was in CT a few months ago and didn't notice anything different ... although I did buy a Motomaster filter. Usually it's Quaker state, Fram and Motomaster (Fram).

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: Audioquest
I was in CT yesterday and I noticed that the in-house brand basic Motomaster filter was different.

I was in CT a few months ago and didn't notice anything different ... although I did buy a Motomaster filter. Usually it's Quaker state, Fram and Motomaster (Fram).

Looks like the store you were in has not started the change over yet. I've been in several of the CTs in London and they have all begun to switch over from the Fram-based filter to the new style. There are still a lot of the old-style Motomasters on the shelf. I'm sure they are going to continue to sell them as normal until they are all gone. The average joe won't have any clue unless he picks up one of each and notices the differnce in weight (the new ones are much heavier) and the printing (its all black on the new filter).

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Lawl

Well... I went today and saw those new filters. The quality seems to be better and the filter itself is heavier. CT doesn't have latest one for my application.

I notice that the "new" one does not have something "meet or exceed OEM requirement". Also, it is made in China.

Last edited:
I promised everyone I would cut one of each open, but I haven't had the time and haven't been near a CTC to get one of each... If I get there I will do it for the fun!
20.gif

Man this is turning into a disease!!!
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back