Can you help me chose a good oil for my sport bike?

35.gif

I've run exclusively Rotella in my R1 either 15w40 or 5w40 and sometimes mixed and today I made the switch to T6 15w40

I don't put many miles on my R1 these last couple of years but I've never had any issues with any of these oils.

Also use the same oils in my kawasaki vulcan Vtwin and both my dads Royalstars with V4s

Originally Posted by Bonz
Originally Posted by Taurus77
Originally Posted by Bonz
Taurus77, what bike do you have? Sportbike/Standard/Cruiser, air cooled, liquid cooled? Sorry if you shared elsewhere and I missed it.

I have a naked
HONDA CB 1300 03
11.gif

That is pure bike envy right there! That's a beautiful big bore, mildly stressed engine. Pick any 10w40 and go with it. If or when shift quality begins to fall off, change it out and get back on the road riding that wonderful bike.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Thanks guys for all the great advice! I think I'm gonna go with the Motul 300V for the R6. Seems like this is a very popular oil with a lot of people doing Trackdays, there must be a good reason for that.
The only downsides I see are cost and shorter oci's, both of which I'm fine with. I'm also going to try the Mobil 1 racing 4T with another standard/sport bike I have that is strictly ridden on the street, as it seems like this is also a well regarded oil. I initially posted this on my second thread by mistake, I guess I need to pay a little more attention, lol! Anyway, thanks again for all your responses!

Last edited:
I used to overthink this just like many, but in recent years I decided to go with what was handy at a fair price. The local auto parts store has Lucas M/C oils on the shelf. The 10w-40 semi-syn is $7.50 a quart and that's plenty expensive for me. And I know it is a good choice for my application. I would use the rotella 5 or 15w in a pinch with no hesitation also. But I am not going to spend $10 or more for oil, been there, done that, and I for one cannot tell any difference. Cheers.

Originally Posted by Jgelack
I'm also going to try the Mobil 1 racing 4T with another standard/sport bike I have that is strictly ridden on the street, as it seems like this is also a well regarded oil.

I tried Mobil 1 MX4T full synthetic10W-40 motorcycle oil (what they call Racing 4T today I think) in my Hayabusa many years ago, and it seemed to burn that oil for some reason way more than any other oil I tried in that bike. I could only conclude it was the oil, not the bike. The Busa would use 1/2 as much in the same mileage if I used a non-synthetic like Valvoline 10W-40. Maybe the Mobil 1 bike oil is different now then way back when I tried it.

Back