Can I use a biiger filter than stock???

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was shopping at Wal mart today. My explorer uses a 820 filter. short and stubby. So just for fun I took out a ph8 filter too compare it and the only difference I could tell was the length. ph8 is twicw longer. if it will fit is it ok to use the longer one instead to get more filter area???

The threads are different, it will not work. There are some alternatives, but they are hard to find.

I would stick with the 820S. It's bigger then most other filters and easily available.

-T

The FL-820 is a great oil filter for less than $3
cool.gif

Everyone seems to think that bigger is better as judged by the can dimensions.

It's foolishness. What's important is quality. A small Pure One or Wix will have much more filtration capacity as a larger Fram.

Besides that, the only time more filtration media is important is if you reach the clog point. Most of us here practice "oil change overkill" to such a degree that the filters are almost like new when they get changed.

If it makes you feel better then do it but start with a quality filter brand and you better make sure the larger can doesn't put you in "harms way". I've heard of larger oil filters getting damaged due to road debris or worn suspension parts and then engines go "poof". In these cases smaller is better.

The powertrain engineers actually chose the filter size from 100's of different options available to them. I wouldn't second guess them without a valid reason.

quote:

Originally posted by Car Luver:
i was shopping at Wal mart today. My explorer uses a 820 filter. short and stubby. So just for fun I took out a ph8 filter too compare it and the only difference I could tell was the length. ph8 is twicw longer. if it will fit is it ok to use the longer one instead to get more filter area???

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
The powertrain engineers actually chose the filter size from 100's of different options available to them. I wouldn't second guess them without a valid reason.

In many cases that is true, but some it is not.
Hyundai, for example, has only 1 filter for all of it's engines. Yet you look in a filter part book and it will show different sizes for different vehicles.
The recommended Fram and ST are a joke, 1/3 the filter media as OEM. The one up size is not much better. Bosch and STP recommended are a bit better, about 2/3 the filter area of OEM. Puralator's recommended are pretty close to OEM size (just a tad smaller), but there is a slightly oversized filter that gives you about 1/4 qt more capacity, which is my reason for oversizing, more oil capacity (although very minimal in this case).

Blu,

I see that your Hyundais use a similar filter as my Mutsu's. I am not that impressed with the OEM Mitsu filter. It is pretty small. What does your OEM Hyundai filter look like? Have you cut one up? Is it similar in size to the Purolator 14459?

Oops. I just found the link to your thread with the cut up Hyundai filter. Looks nice.

[ June 30, 2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Winston ]

The OEM filter is about the same size as the 14459. That's what I'm using now.

I managed to aquire a bunch of 24458 filters before they dissappeared. In about 2 weeks I'll be trying one of these on my Accent.

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:

....Besides that, the only time more filtration media is important is if you reach the clog point....

That's not true. With a cold engine, oil viscosity is often great enough to open up the bypass valve until the engine is warmed up. More filter media minimizes this.

I've had two oversized filters fail in the past (torn media) due to (in my opinion) the bypass valve not opening up. I didn't go much more than 3000 miles on each of these filters, and I was using the recommended 5W-30 oil. This happened during the cold winter months.

So an oversized filter allows you to have less oil bypassing the filter media even when the filter isn't dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back