Can I reuse a non leaking valve cover gasket? Toyota 2AZ-FE

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Long story but I have to take the valve cover off. The gasket in question (not leaking) was installed 2 years ago and it is a blue silicone from Fel-Pro.

My very first car was a pickup that had adjustable rocker arms. I used to take the valve covers off and re-use the gasket without problem.

How much are the gaskets? If you just don't want to wait, then I would say try it. If there 20 bucks, I would get new ones just in case you do need them. I have a whole box of just in case parts that were never used. Oh well.

I would say to re-use if it is soft and plyable. I have seen some cars where the cam cover perimeter gaskets were still soft and sealing ok, but the gaskets around the spark plug wells were hard as a rock and needed to be replaced. My advice is to check the condition of both gaskets if applicable to your car.

I reused gaskets many times. If it's not hard and compressed, it will work. However I also use some RTV in the corners or in places where there is some sort of break in the surface, like where the cases join, etc.
Yep, that's part of the install on this engine. I'll pick up some fresh RTV for the job.

Fel-Pro? If it was installed properly, I would just run it again. Fel-Pro is high quality and should last many years. By properly I mean some people insist on putting RTV all over the gasket and that is the incorrect for Toyota-Lexus valve covers. Small dots of RTV where the case joins with the timing cover is all that may be necessary only if you pull the timing cover. If it leaks, spend a couple bucks and 20 minutes to swap it out.

Last edited:
Back