Can I go 20k miles in an older Lexus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mnewxcv
I know low end Fram filters have had a bad rep, and if that is still the case, I would rather give my money to a company that makes good filters across the lineup rather than just at the top.

Across what lineup? How many filters are branded Mobil 1?

And there is nothing wrong with the lowest tier of Fram filter either. It isn't intended for extended drain intervals and Fram tells you that. They should not have a "bad rep" for what they are, and people shouldn't perpetuate false information.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by Saul
thanks everyone who has spoken. I think I will get the extended performance mobil 1 0w20 and an extended performance filter. $35 out the door.

Fram ultra

why? The mobil filter is $1 more.

I know low end Fram filters have had a bad rep, and if that is still the case, I would rather give my money to a company that makes good filters across the lineup rather than just at the top.

Because its 99%+@20 Vs. 99%+@30

Can't go wrong either way, but why not get the one that filters better?

I get the "low-end" part but most manufacturers have a range of products. Is the mobil made by champ labs?

UD

sorry for my ignorance, but what does @20 and @30 mean here? Assuming the 99% is the filtration efficiency.

That is the micron rating of the filter. The Fram filters smaller particles at the same efficiency meaning it is a better filter.

thanks for the info. I did a bit of research since posting and it seems the current fram line is much improved compared to where it was 10 years ago. I have no problem throwing my bucks to a company set on self improvement
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Gebo
I would never do a 20K OCI. I can't even get myself to the point of a 10K OCI with synthetic. 2 more oil changes a year seems like really cheap insurance to me.[/quot
Malo83 said:
Stick with the 5K oil changes and sleep well at night.
11.gif

Gentlemen, gentlemen, we're almost two decades into the 21st century. That "cheap insurance" line is just too archaic. We have the oil technology. Grow some marbles, please.

Originally Posted by Saul
thanks everyone who has spoken. I think I will get the extended performance mobil 1 0w20 and an extended performance filter. $35 out the door.

Fram ultra

why? The mobil filter is $1 more.

Dude, we have vehicle owners here with 350k, that have nothing but house brand PEP Boys oil and Pep Boys oil filters.
Nowadays, it's more important to time your OCI, than it is to use a top name... a top model or top quality. Engines today only need basic filtering. Uf you want better micron ratings and must have silicone ADBV, that's your business.... but not necessary in most cases.

I would only upgrade my "timings of OCIs" if my engines had turbos and/or direct inject systems.

Speaking of both, the last vehicle I looked at before I purchase my Hyundai Santa Fe was a Honda CRV, that was only offered with one engine. That engine had both direct inject and turbo.
I would NEVER even consider buying that vehicle. I bought a direct inject, but I will maintain it correctly and correctly doesn't mean I must use a top tier oil filter.... nor a top-tier name brand oil.

To the OP, I use the 5w-30 mobil1 ep with the ultra oil filter. I go OVER 20,000 miles. I have used a UOA to guide me to this mileage per OCI. I have 304,000 miles on my 2008 toyota sienna van. Also, my van does NOT use oil between OCI's. Use the mobil1 5w-30 with the fram ultra, top off when you need to and go the 15,000 miles, then send your oil in for a UOA and then you will know where you stand and what you can do from there. The uoa may show you can go the 20,000 like I do!! Thank You, Bill PS, Good LUCK!

Nobody has talked about driving conditions. How much is the OP doing "severe service"?
Someone driving 30k miles per year is probably mostly on a highway, and can get away with a 20k OCI.
I drive ~6000 a year, mostly short trips in the city. A 20k OCI would be flirting with disaster.
Even a 10k OCI is more than I'm willing to risk. And I don't trust the garden variety OUA to tell the whole story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by circuitsmith
Nobody has talked about driving conditions. How much is the OP doing "severe service"?
Someone driving 30k miles per year is probably mostly on a highway, and can get away with a 20k OCI.
I drive ~6000 a year, mostly short trips in the city. A 20k OCI would be flirting with disaster.
Even a 10k OCI is more than I'm willing to risk. And I don't trust the garden variety OUA to tell the whole story.

I do quite a bit of highway driving, yes.

The answer is in your own post. See extracts below.
A 10 year vehicle fully serviced by the dealer with 5000 to 6000 mile OCI service intervals probably using 5w20 or 0w20 are not short and are reasonable.
Just call the dealership to find out what grade and brand of oil was used and keep going.
Nothing wrong with OEM oil filters either.
If you stick to OEM recommended OCIs/ oil grade etc for the driving conditions in question then UOAs usually should not be required.

QUOTE 1
" I have a new-to-me 2008 Lexus RX400h, which is a hybrid model with a 3MZFE at the heart of it. I bought it from an auction, but it was a one owner vehicle and all the service records I have from mycarfax show services at the Lexus dealership, oil changes 5-6k miles apart typically. Unfortunately, I have no idea what oil was used, as the manual suggests 5w20 or 0w20. "

QUOTE 2
"the manual calls for 5k mile oil changes. So even with a synthetic, including the ones listed, you suggest keeping the 5k mile oil change interval?"

BTW please note BITOG site/member/s is still learning from the OEM vehicle manufacturer and not the other way around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back