Can I do this to my Camry Hybrid?

That video is one of the reasons I started this thread. I typically change the oil every 7500 miles, but I wanted to raise that to 10k. So doing a little research, I found that video. Says not to do 10k. Made me question my 7500 interval.

But I'm not sure what percentage of the miles should be excluded, because of the hybrid. I estimate that it's low. It seems like the engine runs for about 90% of the time the car is in use, but that's just a guess. Most of the car's miles are highway miles at about 60-65 mph, because it's a work car and I have a 35 minute commute mon-friday. 70 minutes round trip.

It seemed like I change the oil fairly frequently and it's somewhat inconvenient. Thus, I wanted to increase to 10k miles. Now I'm questioning changing it at 7500. I do want the engine to last all the way to 250k miles.

I thought maybe the royal purple filter could extend the lifespan of an oil change. Since it's supposed to be able to clean the oil all the way up to 10k miles. But hey, I'm not attached to royal purple. In my original plan, any 10k mile filter would do.

Remember to take into account that your engine is not running all the time. At 7500 miles the engine might run 5000 or so of that.

Remember to take into account that your engine is not running all the time. At 7500 miles the engine might run 5000 or so of that.

Yeah I wish I knew that number. Then I'd just go up from there. If I knew the percentage, I could add that mileage to 5,000 and change the oil then. So maybe I'll just stick with a 7500 interval.

Yeah I wish I knew that number. Then I'd just go up from there. If I knew the percentage, I could add that mileage to 5,000 and change the oil then. So maybe I'll just stick with a 7500 interval.

I think the number will depend on your driving route and speed.

I agree, the 7500 mile OCI is prudent.

No one has shown data on the A25A motor that 10k OCI's lead to oil burning, or excessive wear in the combustion chamber.

The 2AR motor in the video, we don't know which (likely) 0w20 oil was used.

Note, AMD usually insists on TGMO (except for the video on the Corolla GR), which has a stout additive package, despite not using a Group IV base.

No one has shown data on the A25A motor that 10k OCI's lead to oil burning, or excessive wear in the combustion chamber.

Note, AMD usually insists on TGMO (except for the video on the Corolla GR), which has a stout additive package, despite not using a Group IV base.
This is for all Toyota engines period the end. I was a Toyota tech as well.

He uses Mobil 1 as well

So would AMSoil protect the engine better if I'm wanting to do a 7500 mile interval?

And should I just couple that with a 10k mile oil filter? Cause obviously you wouldn't use a 5k mile oil filter for a 7500 mile interval.

Hi all, I have a 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I have to use 0w16 oil. What I want to do, is use a 10,000 mile Royal Purple oil filter. And then change the oil at 8,000 miles. Is this a good idea?

IIRC, toyota's minimum required maintenance (to satisfy your warranty) is 10,000 miles. It has 70k miles on it right now, and I want the engine to last to 250k miles.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Simply use the required 0w16 oil with a 10k mile oil filter. But change the oil every 8,000 miles.

Thank you
Why the Royal Purple oil filter the Efficiency is 99% at 25 microns and it's an expensive filter? The cheap Orange can of death has as good as efficiency. A Fram Tough Guard will serve you better and cheaper with better efficiency. Interval would depend on your driving. But me I'd simplify it and go with April/October OCI's because it looks like you're doing a little over 17,000 mile a year.

If we go by the word of the former toyota tech in the video, the 10k oci caused that doctor's car to wear the cylinders out. And the engine's life was spent at 150k miles. He said it's because gasoline gets to stay in the oil longer when you run oil for 10k miles. Breaks it down and turns it into much crappier oil.

Maybe I'm unaware of it because I'm not a veteran member like many of you guys, but I don't know of any filter which filters out the gasoline that gets mixed in with your motor oil.

If you want the engine to last 250k miles, I'd recommend:
1. 5000 mile oil and filter changes together
2. Synthetic oil in 0w30 or 5w30, unless in extreme cold climate where I might consider a 0w20
3. Any filter with a silicone ADBV, oversized if there is room, and preferably with synthetic media
4. Don't forget to cut the coolant interval in 1/2 and also change the cap/thermostat every 10years or 100k
5. Don't forget to change the ATF more often
6. Shorten the engine air filter interval

Blindly taking care of engine and neglecting all else is foolish.

If you want the engine to last 250k miles, I'd recommend:
1. 5000 mile oil and filter changes together
2. Synthetic oil in 0w30 or 5w30, unless in extreme cold climate where I might consider a 0w20
3. Any filter with a silicone ADBV, oversized if there is room, and preferably with synthetic media
4. Don't forget to cut the coolant interval in 1/2 and also change the cap/thermostat every 10years or 100k
5. Don't forget to change the ATF more often
6. Shorten the engine air filter interval

Blindly taking care of engine and neglecting all else is foolish.
Driving 25-30k per year helps too. Then you can drive faster than it rusts away.

Did none of that on my VW and it did 300k. That car was rarely driven for any amount of time less than an hour, and mostly at highway speeds. My guess, that helps. A lot.

What's with the filter issue? Both my Ford's and the 4Runner call for 7,500 OCI's in the manual and use plain jane OEM filters. Are filters marked as "good for 5k miles"? The only ones I see marked are 10k or 20k.

What's with the filter issue? Both my Ford's and the 4Runner call for 7,500 OCI's in the manual and use plain jane OEM filters. Are filters marked as "good for 5k miles"? The only ones I see marked are 10k or 20k.

Yeah I dunno. Reading this site a bit, the wisdom seems to be "They could make a filter that would clog in 1,000 miles". Meaning the oil isn't getting completely filtered anyway.

Not sure which one would be better for a 7,500 mile OCI. A 10k mile filter seems like the obvious choice but who knows.

As others mentioned there many others filters that would do just as well as RP but for cheaper. If you like the RP though it will be fine. As far as the oci I prefer defaulting to the 5K serve service schedule since it’s easier than determining when to change it to each time.

Regarding 0w16 there seem to be two camps, you should never use it or you must always use it. I’m the outlier I guess cause I say you can use it but you don’t have to use it. Other viscosities are certainly allowed however so is 0w16. If the weather isn’t extremely hot and you’re not towing or racing then 0w16 will be just fine. But so will the higher viscosities.

I’d venture to say the hybrid battery or system will be the first big ticket item to go out causing you to get rid of the car. Not the engine. And even with 0w16.

Reactions: wlk
Toyota hybrids do not “do a lot of start and stop running” in the traditional sense. When restarted the engine is already warm, oil in journals, the little electric motor smoothly spins the engine up to speed (a variable speed motor control is used), then fuel and spark is added. No engine starts softer, easier, or cleaner.

That has not been my experience with our Toyota hybrid. Once the vehicle and engine has been running for awhile then yes that is 100% true.

However the ICE will stop and start while the oil and such are still cold. I’ve started the vehicle and let it set while to thaw the windows on a cold day. And I’ve heard the ICE kick on and off multiple times before the windows could thaw. No way the engine and oil are up to operating temp that quickly just idling. Also you can hear the DI system clacking. It’s crazy loud on these A25A engines.

So I’d say on the one hand when fully warm then yes it’s far better. But on the other hand while still cold it’s far worse and not the best conditions.

That has not been my experience with our Toyota hybrid. Once the vehicle and engine has been running for awhile then yes that is 100% true.

However the ICE will stop and start while the oil and such are still cold. I’ve started the vehicle and let it set while to thaw the windows on a cold day. And I’ve heard the ICE kick on and off multiple times before the windows could thaw. No way the engine and oil are up to operating temp that quickly just idling. Also you can hear the DI system clacking. It’s crazy loud on these A25A engines.

So I’d say on the one hand when fully warm then yes it’s far better. But on the other hand while still cold it’s far worse and not the best conditions.
You sure you’re not hearing the generator come on and not the engine. The generator is loud as well.

Back