Can I do this to my Camry Hybrid?

Hi all, I have a 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I have to use 0w16 oil. What I want to do, is use a 10,000 mile Royal Purple oil filter. And then change the oil at 8,000 miles. Is this a good idea?

IIRC, toyota's minimum required maintenance (to satisfy your warranty) is 10,000 miles. It has 70k miles on it right now, and I want the engine to last to 250k miles.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Simply use the required 0w16 oil with a 10k mile oil filter. But change the oil every 8,000 miles.

Thank you

You can do that, it will be perfectly fine.

(However: Are you sure Royal Purple makes a filter for it?)

Last edited:
I use the Fram XG filter that says it's good for 20k miles and change it every 10k miles. Usually. I have let it go 20k miles once. I usually use 0w-20 oil. Can't always find 0w-16 at my local Wal-mart and I avoid going there unless I need oil.

It's almost at 130k miles and this is the first OCI where it's consumed any oil. It's about a half qt low on the dip stick and almost ready for its 10k oil change. I was hoping for no oil consumption until 150k miles.

Reactions: hrv
Hi all, I have a 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I have to use 0w16 oil. What I want to do, is use a 10,000 mile Royal Purple oil filter. And then change the oil at 8,000 miles. Is this a good idea?

IIRC, toyota's minimum required maintenance (to satisfy your warranty) is 10,000 miles. It has 70k miles on it right now, and I want the engine to last to 250k miles.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Simply use the required 0w16 oil with a 10k mile oil filter. But change the oil every 8,000 miles.

Thank you
Why pay more money for a Royal Purple filter? The $3.50 SuperTech filter is good to 10,000 miles and looks to be a decent looking filter.

I do 5,000 mile OCI's. It's easier to remember and coincides with the maintenance reminder messages. 8000 is close to the old 7500 mile OCI Toyota used to do.

I use the Fram XG filter that says it's good for 20k miles and change it every 10k miles. Usually. I have let it go 20k miles once. I usually use 0w-20 oil. Can't always find 0w-16 at my local Wal-mart and I avoid going there unless I need oil.

It's almost at 130k miles and this is the first OCI where it's consumed any oil. It's about a half qt low on the dip stick and almost ready for its 10k oil change. I was hoping for no oil consumption until 150k miles.
If you would have done 5,000 mile OCI you wouldn’t be burning any oil.

That car will be doing a lot of start and stop running. I would keep the same filter but change the oil every 5,000 miles and the filter every 10,000 miles.
I would not. I would follow Toyota’s service intervals. Toyota knows what they are doing.

Toyota hybrids do not “do a lot of start and stop running” in the traditional sense. When restarted the engine is already warm, oil in journals, the little electric motor smoothly spins the engine up to speed (a variable speed motor control is used), then fuel and spark is added. No engine starts softer, easier, or cleaner.

If you do not believe 10,000 mile drain intervals then support your claim with UOA. It either is or is not.

I would not. I would follow Toyota’s service intervals. Toyota knows what they are doing.

Toyota hybrids do not “do a lot of start and stop running” in the traditional sense. When restarted the engine is already warm, oil in journals, the little electric motor smoothly spins the engine up to speed (a variable speed motor control is used), then fuel and spark is added. No engine starts softer, easier, or cleaner.

If you do not believe 10,000 mile drain intervals then support your claim with UOA. It either is or is not.
You need to watch that video above as he says about analysis doesn’t show the oil
Control rings. He is a Toyota master tech. Hybrids follow the same as they may not get the oil to operating temp and stay for periods of time. 10,000 mile OCI is marketing only. Marketing team writes the manual to keep cost of ownership down.

That car will be doing a lot of start and stop running. I would keep the same filter but change the oil every 5,000 miles and the filter every 10,000 miles.
As long as you drain the filter, it's would ok, but at $5 a filter, I'd just put a new one on.

Toyota wants you to trade in your oil burner once it gets to that point so that's why they say 10K.

As long as you drain the filter, it's would ok, but at $5 a filter, I'd just put a new one on.

Toyota wants you to trade in your oil burner once it gets to that point so that's why they say 10K.
No Toyota wants the vehicle to last. Marketing team handles all The viscosities and change intervals, the manual is not a cut and dry document. There is a fine print in that manual that states extreme usage change 3500-5000. NO consumer falls under a normal category. NOT ONE CONSUMER.

this is from the 2021 Toyota Camry owners manual in the UK. 0w16 is for good fuel
efficiency and good cold weather starting.
3676F88E-D605-45E8-A92C-FDCEE4D262E7.jpg

A26E7279-DCCB-49F2-8D00-D337E336082E.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Didn't watch the video. But 5k in a hybrid isn't the same as 5k in conventional.

Would be interesting to hook up an rpm gauge on our hybrid. I don't think idles very much. I know under the beans the rpm will climb, but I think it's often at a high idle when called for, regardless of vehicle speed. Hard to say... without a way to measure.

But I still do 5k OCI's anyhow. Works well with tire rotations. At 5k I'm not sure the oil filter matters, if it's trapping anything then I have serious problems.

Didn't watch the video. But 5k in a hybrid isn't the same as 5k in conventional.

Would be interesting to hook up an rpm gauge on our hybrid. I don't think idles very much. I know under the beans the rpm will climb, but I think it's often at a high idle when called for, regardless of vehicle speed. Hard to say... without a way to measure.

But I still do 5k OCI's anyhow. Works well with tire rotations. At 5k I'm not sure the oil filter matters, if it's trapping anything then I have serious problems.
unless your on the interstate or traveling nonstop over 40 mph for periods of time to heat the oil up then your same as a non hybrid. Change more often.

That video is one of the reasons I started this thread. I typically change the oil every 7500 miles, but I wanted to raise that to 10k. So doing a little research, I found that video. Says not to do 10k. Made me question my 7500 interval.

But I'm not sure what percentage of the miles should be excluded, because of the hybrid. I estimate that it's low. It seems like the engine runs for about 90% of the time the car is in use, but that's just a guess. Most of the car's miles are highway miles at about 60-65 mph, because it's a work car and I have a 35 minute commute mon-friday. 70 minutes round trip.

It seemed like I change the oil fairly frequently and it's somewhat inconvenient. Thus, I wanted to increase to 10k miles. Now I'm questioning changing it at 7500. I do want the engine to last all the way to 250k miles.

I thought maybe the royal purple filter could extend the lifespan of an oil change. Since it's supposed to be able to clean the oil all the way up to 10k miles. But hey, I'm not attached to royal purple. In my original plan, any 10k mile filter would do.

Back