Can Hyundai filters fit Mazda vehicles?

pbm

I ask because I've often found the smaller 6602 (Mazda size) and 7317 on my daughters Hyundai when she went to the quicklube....I have some Hyundai filters and my sister needs an OC on her 2015 CX5....Can I use the Hyundai filter? (I know the treads and gasket match).

PS: I know the 1334 sized Hyundai filter can also be used on many Honda's ...

Hyundai filters are all metric. If I am not mistaken Mazda/Ford are predominantly imperial threading. The 35503/35504/35505 are all M20x1.5. The XG3593A variant is M20x1.50. Whereas with the Mazda/Ford XG3614 and XG3600 are 3/4"-16. Close, but not a perfect match. And in the world of oil filters, perfect is the only option.

the smaller 6602 (Mazda size) and 7317
on her 2015 CX5
The 6607 and 7317 are interchangeable as the threads are the same (M20 x 1.5) and the gasket ID and OD are close enough. The CX-5 also uses the 6607 on both the 2.0L and 2.5L engines. The 7317 is slightly longer but rarely too long to fit.

Go ahead and use it. It will be fine.

The Hyundai filters and their name brand counterparts (1334...9688... 3593 etc...) are also M20X1.5....

If you're talking the 6607 vs the 7317, yes they can be interchanged. No point in running the 6607 (tiny thimble sized filter) when the 7317 is available and fits fine in every 6607 application I've ever come across.

I've spotted many 6607 sized filters labeled as 7317 when a manufacturer decides to only produce one size filter for both part numbers (STP and
Deutsch used to do this.) That tells me th
ey're functionally identical, other than the size difference.

There's also the 3593A which has a bit more volume than the 7317 being shorter and wider. If you want to go real big the PH3985 can be used also. It's about as big as a Fram PH2.

If you're talking the 6607 vs the 7317, yes they can be interchanged. No point in running the 6607 (tiny thimble sized filter) when the 7317 is available and fits fine in every 6607 application I've ever come across.

I've spotted many 6607 sized filters labeled as 7317 when a manufacturer decides to only produce one size filter for both part numbers (STP and
Deutsch used to do this.) That tells me th
ey're functionally identical, other than the size difference.

There's also the 3593A which has a bit more volume than the 7317 being shorter and wider. If you want to go real big the PH3985 can be used also. It's about as big as a Fram PH2.

Thanks 92Saturnsl2....I'm talking about using the 3593A sized filter ....Walmart ST had a filter that was labeled 7317 but also spec'd for 9688
applications a year or two ago.....This gives me confidence in running the Hyundai filter on the Mazda....

Most Japanese cars use the same size filter, except Toyota. Some Mazdas used the Toyota size filter (usually the engines they shared with Ford, since they owned Mazda for awhile), and some use a cartridge, but otherwise, they take the standard Japanese size filter.

The threads will fit, but some newer cars have a shield thing around the filter that prevents you from installing the fat 3593/1334 size filter. For example, the 8th gen Civic. If your car doesn't have this, then you can fit the 1334 with no problem.

Quicky lubes and other jobbers will usually install a tiny 6607 where 7317, 3593, and 9688 are called for, to save on inventory.

Most Japanese cars use the same size filter, except Toyota. Some Mazdas used the Toyota size filter (usually the engines they shared with Ford, since they owned Mazda for awhile), and some use a cartridge, but otherwise, they take the standard Japanese size filter.

The threads will fit, but some newer cars have a shield thing around the filter that prevents you from installing the fat 3593/1334 size filter. For example, the 8th gen Civic. If your car doesn't have this, then you can fit the 1334 with no problem.

Quicky lubes and other jobbers will usually install a tiny 6607 where 7317, 3593, and 9688 are called for, to save on inventory.
Is this (and not allowing time to fully drain) why Wally World Tire and Auto Center changes are often overfilled?

Thanks 92Saturnsl2....I'm talking about using the 3593A sized filter ....Walmart ST had a filter that was labeled 7317 but also spec'd for 9688
applications a year or two ago.....This gives me confidence in running the Hyundai filter on the Mazda....
Walmart has the ST9688 now that is a really good deal IMO. For the longest the 7317 was the spec'ed filter when Wix was the supplier, but when they went to Champ, they had a 9688 filter (which is also the cross reference for 3593a filters).
It is what I plan on using on all my Hyundai/Kia vehicles from now on.

Buy it or not that info is from a Mazda Oil Filter TSB that has been posted on this forum many times since the 2012 model year (first year of Skyactiv). If a filter does not allow a high enough flow the Skyactiv engine will turn on the CEL with a code.

Let me guess, you're talking about this? https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10134934-9999.pdf
This says turbo requires a different filter, that is all.
Nothing to do with requirements about using a skyactiv filter without an ADBV.
I've been using mobil 1 108a for the last 1.5 years, never threw a CEL code. Thousands of people out there use non-oem oil filters, many of which are made for multiple japanese vehicles at quick lube spots. So these people are throwing CEL codes left and right because of a ADBV? Give me a break man. :LOL:

No that is not it. Don't assume you know which Mazda TSB I was talking about.
It is talking about a totally different topic anyway.
FYI : I did not issue the TSB. Mazda did.

Last edited:
So why don't you post this so called TSB for others to benefit? Especially since my engine is supposed to grenade with an ADBV :LOL: . I looked long and hard via google search and found nothing on this site or the internet talking about filters except what I posted and the attached document from mazda forum. All both these docs are saying is don't use the wrong filter. Hogwash. This isnt 2012.

Attachments

• Multi-Model - Skyactiv High Flow Oil Filter.pdf
    339.9 KB · Views: 32
Back