Camry, Accord, Altima, or Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a mid-sized car for my daughter. Doesn't have to be new but under 20,000 miles would be great. I am considering the following (Camry, Accord, Altima, and possibly a Taurus). The Taurus probably has the lowest MPG and longevity but cost the same as the others. These are the only dealerships we have close.

There is a Kia and a Hyundai dealer near (30-45 min), but I know nothing of the brands and the dealerships are small and not well stocked.

Google can justify each brand as being the best, just depends upon the website.

Any suggestions ?

The Taurus shouldn't cost the same, all else equal. If they do all cost the same with all else equal, get the Camry.

Then again if she's a new driver, maybe something older so it doesn't hurt so much to dig it up? Or if she's not a new driver, let her pick what she wants as long as it's not a very bad choice?

Last edited:
If this is going to be her car then let her choose which one will fit her the best in seating position and also her needs. I'm guessing it's your money that is buying this car so if that is the case you should have some input. The final decision should be hers.

For dependability the Toyota Camry is hard to beat.

If this is a used car then teach her what to look for and how to determine any problems. This will be a learning step for her b

Originally Posted by pburchett
Doesn't have to be new but under 20,000 miles would be great.

So it would be 2017 or 18 and newer I assume. Some people find a brand new car is only a couple thousand more than a used one of that age. If this is for a teen, insurance is going to be high. Why not something older under $10K?

My vote would be for the Camry especially if the prices are all pretty close but I would double check prices on new before buying used as there might not be much savings on one with that low of mileage.

My vote would be whichever one was driven to Church by a little old lady before she had to move into the Home.
smile.gif

Of all of them, I like the Altima the most, as it has the best driving dynamics, it is far more sporty than the lazy Camry, has great seats and gets the best highway MPG. In fact the Altima will go 600 highway miles with ease.

HOWEVER, the CVT can be risky. Certainly, many of them last a long time. Others fail within the warranty period. I'm pretty sure lack of service plays a role.

I like 'em enough to consider one.

Note: I rent cars like crazy. Sometimes 3 different times per week. I also put on a lot of miles. For example, it's not unusual to pick up an Altima in Savannah, GA, drive it to WPB and back twice within 5 days. That's 1600 miles highway and another 200 local miles.

Camrys need to do many things very well and reliably to make up for being such a blah driver. Sporty driving and Camry are 2 separate sets on the Venn diagram
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Camrys need to do many things very well and reliably to make up for being such a blah driver. Sporty driving and Camry are 2 separate sets on the Venn diagram
grin2.gif

Toyota Camry, the official car of "meh."

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Originally Posted by skyactiv

You should scratch the Taurus and Altima off.

I'm curious what makes you say this...

Here is what Consumers Reports says about the current generation:

"Nissan's redesigned Altima is a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. That explains why it sneaks in as the lowest-scoring CR-recommended midsized sedan."

And this is what they say about the previous generation:

"Despite a few high points, the Nissan Altima is not competitive among midsized sedans. In a segment brimming with better cars, the Altima is a lackluster choice. It ranks below virtually all of its competitors with a humdrum driving experience. "

The 2017 Ford Taurus according to Consumers Reports:

"Somehow the Ford Taurus manages to be a rather large sedan with a tight and cramped interior. Poor packaging efficiency, with a center console that resembles the Great Wall of China and not much rear seat room, results in an interior that feels smaller than many midsized sedans. Small windows and thick pillars add to the claustrophobic feel, making it difficult for the driver to see out, and there's an awkward driving position to boot."

I don't think too many cops that have a Taurus particularly care for them.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The 2017 Ford Taurus according to Consumers Reports:

"Somehow the Ford Taurus manages to be a rather large sedan with a tight and cramped interior. Poor packaging efficiency, with a center console that resembles the Great Wall of China and not much rear seat room, results in an interior that feels smaller than many midsized sedans. Small windows and thick pillars add to the claustrophobic feel, making it difficult for the driver to see out, and there's an awkward driving position to boot."

I don't think too many cops that have a Taurus particularly care for them.

Basically to sum it up, it's described as opening up a bank vault to find a piggy bank inside. Large on the outside, small on the inside. No wonder their sales have cratered.

Camry, Accord (2017 or prior with 2.4), Camry Hybrid, Fusion Hybrid are all good. The trunks are small on the Fusion and Camry Hybrids, except for the 2019 or newer Camry Hybrid LE. Spend a bit less than $20K and get a set of premium tires. You'll need to watch out for flood damaged cars, look for local ones.

I'd avoid the Altima and Taurus because of reliability issues.

Last edited:
The new-car dealers sell used cars of all makes and models, not just their own brands. The only exception is CPO.

An almost-new or CPO Accord with less than 20k will probably cost the same as brand new. Hondas don't depreciate much, and interest rates are lower for new cars than for used.

The Fusion is better than the Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back