Newer Camry (14+) vs ???? Commuter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Leo99
The LE is the entry level stripped-down version. Not many bells or whistles on them. Body shape changed in 2015. Same basic engine and interior.

Camry LE is your best bet.

Originally Posted by JTK
I dunno.. I wouldn't consider a ~2011-2016 Camry the easiest in terms of basic DIY maintenance. The undermount plastic oil filter housing is kind of a pain when you compare them to a top mount or a standard spin-on oil filter. Transmission fluid drain, fill and level checks are also ridiculously over complicated IMO.

OTOH.. what's the recommended OCI on the 4cyl, every 10K miles or once a year? and transmission fluid maintenance doesn't even have to be a thing if you don't want it to be.

Yup 10K or once a year. Ours is a serious short tripper, so no more than a year to the date. I honestly don't find the bottom mounted filter housing to be really difficult, it's right there for easy access. I have to put the vehicle on ramps anyways. The transmission service is a little tricky, but the serpentine belt, starter, etc. are all easy to get to.

We have a 2013 Camry SE.
The SE does have a harder ride than the LE.
It is a good highway cruiser - comfortable and competent.
Noise, cabin space and rear seat are very good for the price.
I would never choose a Pruis, Yaris, or Fit over a Camry for highway trips. Those cars are so much noisier, and less powerful

On a few long trips I have hit a solid 40 MPG, but these were ideal conditions:
75 MPH, summer gasoline, cool temperatures so AC was not needed.

On a 95 degree summer day that drops to 37 MPG:
75 MPH, summer gasoline, hot air and blazing sun, heavy AC usage.

In the winter the MPG drops dramatically to 33 MPG:
75 MPH, winter gasoline, no AC.

Add rain or other weather complications to that winter day and it drops another 1 or 2 MPG.

From those experiences I'd say that the biggest MPG offender is the winter gasoline formulation.

Transmission service is a PITA.

I'd look at a 2018/2019 Camry (45 mpg @ 75 mph) or a 2015-2017 Accord 2.4L. Most of the newer cars are turbo and DI, which you want to avoid. Best of all is to get the Honda with a MT - they will be a lot cheaper

Is the 8 speed in the 18/19 reliable? I drive 65ish as much as I can stand. I think the LE is my best bet. I'm not interested in the harsher ride and more expensive wheels and tires of the SE. On Fuelly, the 18/19 does seem to have a mpg bump over previous models. I would love to see 40mpg but not going to overpay for one that is too new. I Was getting 26 in the previous commuter and getting 22 in the current short term replacement.

I didnt consider a prius V because of the mpg penalty of the wagon. Also avoiding prius C because of it probably being a penalty box. I had a Vibe. It was ok, wasnt impressed with the mpg for how small it was (28-30).

I'll second the Hertz Car Sales recommendation. 2017 Camry SE with 43k miles for $14,500. No haggle pricing, nice and easy. Heck for the same price you can get a 2017 Fusion Hybrid with 45k miles and even better MPG! That's a great value.

Originally Posted by EricBeau
I'll second the Hertz Car Sales recommendation. 2017 Camry SE with 43k miles for $14,500. No haggle pricing, nice and easy. Heck for the same price you can get a 2017 Fusion Hybrid with 45k miles and even better MPG! That's a great value.

Yes, and they only keep the cream of the crop for their retail lots. The rest go to auction where dealerships, car lots buy them up.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by EricBeau

Yes, and they only keep the cream of the crop for their retail lots. The rest go to auction where dealerships, car lots buy them up.

Satin, I'm not sure about that. I know when I've browsed Hertz Rent to Buy, there's all kinds of vehicles for sale, but most are being rented out and you have to arrange for having it held for you at I assume your local Hertz lot. I do have a retail lot like 50mi away (Rochester NY area) and many of the pics show some pretty dirty interiors, etc.

Regardless, I've been intrigued with this option of car buying, especially the rent to buy. Supposedly they will rent you the vehicle at a reduced rate and if you choose to buy the vehicle, the rental fee is waved. I have yet to hear real world experience with this though.

Last edited:
If you like to drive stick, (and can find one for sale) the 2013-16 accord 2.4 is bullet proof. If automatic only is your thing then i don't know if you can expect the CVT to last forever in the accord. Although some people have been well into the 200k range with a 9th gen accord CVT. I'd be less worried about a camry automatic than any CVT.

I don't mind stick, though I havent owned one since 2010 IIRC. Cant say I miss it. I had a Fusion Hybrid as a rental one time. I wasnt impressed that it "only" averaged 37-39mpg, and I dont think the hybrid is as useful when highway commuting. Though it did have a solid ride and handled well.

Has anyone used Carvana yet? I dont see a lot of disadvantage to it, especially if I know exactly what Im looking for.

Any ideas why 15-16 Camry is rated 25/35mpg, but 2017 is rated 24/33? Same model car as far as I can tell. 18-19 is a newer body style, 12-14 is the older style.

Originally Posted by FL-400S
Any ideas why 15-16 Camry is rated 25/35mpg, but 2017 is rated 24/33? Same model car as far as I can tell. 18-19 is a newer body style, 12-14 is the older style.

The EPA revised its methodology a bit effective 2017. More info here

We have a 2011 LE with 6MT and it seems to get 33 or so for my wife; the RT43's aren't LRR so maybe that's it. It gets 27 when I drive, albeit when I drive it's all loaded up with passengers. But still. mpg hasn't been anything to write home about. Mind you, it's not like I'm shifting all the time either--it'll stay in top gear on all but the steepest hills (7% or so requires dropping to 4th, as 5 and 6 are basically the same gear) (the 6MT in this thing is a joke!). Apparently the newer ones get better mpg; my old '99 with an auto is just shy of 31mpg after two years! The 2011 really is an awful car, I must prefer my older Camry. Haven't driven the newer ones so I can't comment on them.

I'd personally recommend either a new Accord Hybrid or a Gen 8 four cylinder Accord.
See my sig, I'm not just hypothesizing.
My commute is only around fifty miles round trip, but we do a lot of weekend trips so I'll put around 22K each year on my car.
We bought the '12 new and it's needed a set of tires and a set of pads in its first 96K. Oil changes per the IOLM happen every 8.3K or so and are easy. With the cruise set around 75 mph you can expect 34+ mpg highway consistently.
The Hybrid is another kettle of fish and with only a bit over 5K on it I can't comment on its long-term durability/reliability.
I do know that you'd see 44+ mpg in your use, so the price premium that one of these would involve might well be worth it.
You can sweat a good deal out of the dealership on one of these.
I did, paying ~$2.5K under sticker. Not much demand for sedans these days and even less for hybrids in the continuing era of cheap gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back