Calorie Burn Bicycles Vs. Walking

walking vs biking

This chart is for 30 minutes of exercise:
IntensityBiking (calories and speed)Walking (calories and speed)
Light240 calories — 10–11.9 miles per hour (16–19.15 km/hr)154 calories — 3.5 miles per hour (5.6 km/hr)
Moderate285 calories — 12–13.9 miles per hour (19.3–22.4 km/hr)179 calories — 4.0 miles per hour (6.4 km/hr)
High357 calories — 14–15.9 miles per hour (22.5–25.6 km/hr)250 calories — 4.5 miles per hour (7.2 km/hr)

I think the above chart assumes road cycling. Mountain biking on true mountain bike trails uses the upper body more.

Livestrong.com says about the same thing.

Running vs cycling is a different story, running burns more.

Last edited:
walking vs biking

This chart is for 30 minutes of exercise:
IntensityBiking (calories and speed)Walking (calories and speed)
Light240 calories — 10–11.9 miles per hour (16–19.15 km/hr)154 calories — 3.5 miles per hour (5.6 km/hr)
Moderate285 calories — 12–13.9 miles per hour (19.3–22.4 km/hr)179 calories — 4.0 miles per hour (6.4 km/hr)
High357 calories — 14–15.9 miles per hour (22.5–25.6 km/hr)250 calories — 4.5 miles per hour (7.2 km/hr)

I think the above chart assumes road cycling. Mountain biking on true mountain bike trails uses the upper body more.

Livestrong.com
I was comparing casual bicycling on a neighborhood street versus walking on the same exact street.

Obviously mountain biking is going to burn more calories I would think. Thanks for your post. 🙂

We averaged about 20000 steps per day in Italy.

I gained no weight and I ate a lot of carbs. Checked my blood sugar for the first time in a long while. 109.
Consume fewer carbs, a fasting count of 109 is worthy of concern.

Last edited:
Battle ropes are a great full-body workout. Cardio and strength-building in one go. Battle ropes are highly recommended for fat-burning and are probably more efficient than most workouts. Rope jumping is great, too, for burning calories and improving cardio. Burpees if you don't want to use equipment.

Last edited:
I’ll add in stationary bicycles vs walking. If going the stationary bike route get one with an automatic heart rate indicator that you set to match up with the calorie burn that you want. It keeps you from slacking off. Walking is fine if you have an interesting, safe route. Typically if you follow the guidelines for max calorie burn on the bike, your heat rate will be higher than than during the walk, which if you are in good health, will give you better results in the same amount of time.

Last edited:
I was comparing casual bicycling on a neighborhood street versus walking on the same exact street.

Obviously mountain biking is going to burn more calories I would think. Thanks for your post. 🙂
It will be easier to not eat calories than walking or biking them off. If you want to burn considerable quantities of calories through exercise it will be a lot of work. By itself this approach is almost certainly bound to fail. That said, even moderate exercise like walking or bicycling will increase your metabolism but so will anything that increases your rate of respiration.

20231006_164235.jpg

Indoor cycling on a trainer using Zwift.

How much does the body burn doing nothing? (Watching TV, talking on the phone, taking a nap).
An aversge-size adult human body requires about 65 kcal per hour at rest. That's a little under 1,600 kcal per day. That's why most people who are not completely sedentary will slowly lose weight on a 1,500 kcal per day diet.

1 lbs of fat has an energy content of 3,500 kcal.

Last edited:
An aversge-size adult human body requires about 65 kcal per hour at rest. That's a little under 1,600 kcal per day. That's why most people who are not completely sedantary will slowly lose weight on a 1,500 kcal per day diet.

1 lbs of fat has an energy content of 3,500 kcal.
So then realistically, you would have to subtract 65 calories per hour from any workout routine for an accurate assessment. Or do most automatically do that?

So then realistically, you would have to subtract 65 calories per hour from any workout routine for an accurate assessment. Or do most automatically do that?
I think most people will simply figure out their caloric requirements based on their gender, age, and activity level. Then they will set reasonable and achievable targets for

a caloric surplus if they want to gain weight
or
a caloric deficit if they want to lose weight

They will combine caloric adjustment with

Exercise - cardio fir weightloss and fitness, strength training for building muscle tissue
Nutrition - more carbs and protein fir gaining weight, less carbs for losing weight
Metabolic tweaks via nutrition and scheduled eating - eating all the time for gaining, restricting food intake to less than a 12- hour period for losing weight
Sufficient recovery after exercise and adequate sleep

By the way, as a person loses weight, their caloric requirements diminish. That means in order to maintain the same rate of weightloss one needs to adjust the caloric deficit accordingly or the rate of weightloss will slow down. This is important if someone wants to lose a lot of weight. If they don't increase their caloric deficit their rate of weightloss will come to a crawl.

Metabolic disorders can throw a lot of wrenches in attempts at weightloss. These hurdles can however be overcome even though there won't be one universal approach to everybody.

Last edited:
Battle ropes are a great full-body workout. Cardio and strength-building in one go. Battle ropes are highly recommended for fat-burning and are probably more efficient than most workouts. Rope jumping is great, too, for burning calories and improving cardio. Burpees if you don't want to use equipment.
What size rope do you use and where do you anchor it?

I have a spot (gate post) in the breezeway and use 1.5" old guy rope. I need to en-gah-neer a mobile anchor.

What size rope do you use and where do you anchor it?

I have a spot (gate post) in the breezeway and use 1.5" old guy rope. I need to en-gah-neer a mobile anchor.
I don't have them, a friend does. He's an avid crossfitter. 2.5 " ropes, 40' long, I think. A bit thick for my hands. The floor anchor looks like a shackle and is bolted to the floor.

Last edited:
Back