Interesting tube, no need to remove wheel

Interesting indeed. Will have to remember this tube for the future.

A fellow from So. Africa told me they had large India rubber "O" rings to use in place of pneumatic inner tubes when he was young.
I always wondered, why not today?

Looks like a tube like that will create a stiff less compliant spot on the tire where the tube ends meet. But that may not be a big deal for casual riding.

Looks like a tube like that will create a stiff less compliant spot on the tire where the tube ends meet. But that may not be a big deal for casual riding.
I looked at it and thought "omg who would use this piece of crap" and then remembered that not all cyclists are enthusiasts, and chances are whoever is buying this is not using a 330tpi race tire, and will never know, nor care.

I just take1 side of the bead off and patch the tire and call it done if the leak is just requiring a patch , no need to remove the wheel.

I just take1 side of the bead off and patch the tire and call it done if the leak is just requiring a patch , no need to remove the wheel.
Most bike still ride on inner tubes, so that wouldn't work. I don't patch tubes anymore, first you have to find the hole, and the self stick ones can sometimes hold up for a week or an hour, and the vulcanizing ones are a PITA to do road-side. If I flat out in a field on a 100* day, it's much faster just to change the tube and roll

Most bike still ride on inner tubes, so that wouldn't work. I don't patch tubes anymore, first you have to find the hole, and the self stick ones can sometimes hold up for a week or an hour, and the vulcanizing ones are a PITA to do road-side. If I flat out in a field on a 100* day, it's much faster just to change the tube and roll
I've found out the hard way that it's a good idea to inspect the tire thoroughly to ensure that whatever caused the puncture is not still sicking through the tire waiting to do it again.

Depending on what bike, I tend to roll with 3 spare tubes these days. In the last 12 months I have had 3 rides where I have gotten 2 flats. First was a from a steel wire that I picked up (but didn't spot), that one I basically rimmed it the last mile to the car after the second tube replacement (talk about sketchy!) (this was the ride that taught me to carry more than 2!). Second time, I hit some rocks, knew I was going to lose a tube... and did. Got that replaced and made the mistake of thinking about how I've never had a front tire go flat... literally as I was thinking that, you know what happened. Last time I hit a pothole hard enough to bend both rims and didn't bother, called for a ride, I was done.

I wait until I get a stack of about 5 tubes and patch all at once, as I figure otherwise the tube of cement will dry up (cure?).

I've found out the hard way that it's a good idea to inspect the tire thoroughly to ensure that whatever caused the puncture is not still sicking through the tire waiting to do it again.
I try to do that. Make sure to bring a tool to remove whatever offending item it is, like needle nose pliers. Come to think of it, I don't think I have one of those in my kit. Anyhow. Pop the tube out, pump it up a bit, see if you can find where the damage is. But usually I just hit something and I know I pinch flatted, so really no need to look, just swap and go. [I'm fat, ride rough terrain and don't use enough pressure--I can tell when it's going to be a pinch flat.]

Back