MTB XC all-around tires

I use my MTB for everything from gravel to technical single track. It's dual suspension, carbon frame & wheels, SRAM XX1, the best all-around XC MTB bike I could find about 10 years ago when I got it new. I've done some epic rides on it over the years including OTGG, WRIAD and other 100 mile trail days. Over the years I've cracked a rim (replaced under warrranty, rebuilt wheel), broke the hubs (replaced, rebuilt wheels), and other common wear items, but after all these years the frame is still solid, I love this bike and keep it like new or better.

I always had 2 sets of tires: Maxxis Minion DHR/DHF for trails, Maxxis Ramblers for gravel. Swapping them is a real PITA so I've been searching for an all-around tire for everything. I had nothing but problems with Schwalbe and most recently I discovered the Continental Race King (rear) and Cross King (front). They feel like the fastest tires I've had on this bike, and my times on a local ride I've done hundreds of times are the fastest ever on this bike. So far so good.

However, the Race King did not want to seal properly. I used a fresh quart of Stan's fluid with 3 oz. in the 27.5" tire. I've mounted numerous tires on this bike over the years without ever a problem. After the first mounting I did an hour ride and the pressure held, but leaked to zero overnight. No obvious signs where it was leaking so I pumped up the tire and immersed the tire & rim in a large bucket of water. Spokes (rim tape), valve stem, and rim/tire bead were perfect, no leaks. Yet bubbles were slowly emerging through the sidewalls of the tire. So it was acting as if it was not a TR (tubeless ready) tire. I confirmed with the bike shop and with Continental (yes they actually responded to my technical inquiry) it was a TR tire, and both offered to swap or exchange the tire if necessary.

Before doing that I gave it one more try. I removed the tire, wiped down the inside tire sidewalls with a clean shop rag soaked in Stan's fluid, liberally saturated the tire/rim bead, replaced the fluid with another 3 oz., and gave it another 1 hour ride. Upon returning, I spun the rear wheel horizontally (both sides) to get the fluid to the sidewalls and pumped it to 40 PSI. Next day, it leaked down to 20 PSI which is a lot but it's holding pressure now, the sidewalls have tiny specs of dry sealant visible, so it looks like the sealant is getting where it needs to be and will only get better from here.

No problems at all with the Cross King, which is a bit heavier tire. I think the issue is that the Race King is designed to be as light & fast as possible, so Continental doesn't apply as thick an inner sidewall layer as they do on the Cross King. They're cutting it fine, and a bit too fine. I could use a more aggressive sealant fluid, but those require replacing more often, every 3 months or so instead of the 12 months I get out of Stan's.

I'm sharing this long story as I'm wondering how "normal" this is, if any of you have had similar issues.

Update: these are the fastest tires I've ever had on this MTB. My daily neighborhood ride is about 14 miles with 1000' of total climb with one steep (16%) grade. I've ridden it hundreds of times so I have accurate average times. Before these tires, my fastest time was about 68 minutes. With these tires I've now done it twice, both times within 4 seconds of each other, at 62 minutes. Same bike, the only difference is the tires. So these tires are 6 minutes faster on a 60 minute ride. Yeah, tires do make a big difference but that is just ridiculous, way more than I expected.

It’s normal. Two tips:First, try other brands of fluid. Do a little research and see what sounds like it suits your needs. Second, try using more fluid, at least initially to seal the new tire. You have to refresh the fluid regularly anyway. When mounting a new tire, especially a lighter, faster tire use a little more fluid initially. Keep it moving. Keep inflating it. It will seal.
I don’t mean to imply any negative connotations regarding Stan’s original sealant. It’s the industry standard. But dozens of brands exist for a reason.

Update: they are sealing and holding pressure now. We got a break in the bad weather and I finally got them out on a trail ride. They perform well, traction is almost as good as the Minion DHR/DHF combo I had before, yet they are noticeably faster.

Before installing these tires I weighed them. The Race King is 617 and Cross king is 650 grams, so the difference is 33 grams, or just over 1 oz. Yet the Race King required an extra oz. of sealant, so in reality they weigh the same. This leaves me wondering what is the point of making the sidewalls lighter, when they're going to leak and require more sealant, resulting in no real weight savings, but only a tire that is harder to seal?

Back