Question on bearing choice for snowthrower chain idler gears

I am changing out the needle bearings on my john deere mower mounted snow blower. The needle bearings are for the two idler gears that the chain that spins the auger rides on. John Deere wants $50 for two tiny bearings which I am not spending. I measured the old bearing and its OD=13/16 ID=5/8 Width=7/8. I found some cheaper bearings on amazon. They are both by uxcell. One bearing is 1/2 in wide and the other is 3/4 wide. I would either press the one 3/4 wide bearing into the gear or I would use two 1/2in bearings pressed back to back. The 1/2 bearing says the dynamic load is 8,100N and the 3/4 bearing says its dynamic load is 4,390N. Why would the 1/2in wide bearing have a greater dynamic load? Which bearing should I go with for this application? https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-SCE108-Bearings-16-inch-Dynamic/dp/B07RWNGZ9K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=E1CWHZMRW8CP&keywords=needle+bearing&qid=1673583772&sprefix=needle+bearin,aps,92&sr=8-3&th=1

I would just go with the bearing size in there now. Should be a number etched on the original bearings.
When it comes to bearings you get what you pay for. Those cheap Amazon bearings can be not so much of a deal down the road with less useful life and time wasted changing them.
Found that out in my snowmobile skid idler wheels, cheap ones are lucky to last 1/2 as long as quality ones or OEM.

Uxcell - you see alot of ODD suppliers like that on Amazon.
I have no experience with them, but would avoid at all cost.

How about looking on McMaster-Carr website.
They are an industrial supplier that I would feel more comfortable with.

Link shows a width of 3/4", I would try and get the full 7/8" as your original.

Or find the 'makers' of good quality automotive bearings and see what they have.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
I'd lube whatever bearing you buy with a synthetic high temperature wheel bearing or constant velocity joint grease.

Yes i know cheap Chinese bearings aren’t the greatest but this is for a rusty 52 year old implement that sees little use with very easy to access and change bearings. I’m having trouble finding 7/8 in wide bearing. I can only find the 3/4. Unless i go with John Deere but considering the ease of access and the fact that these are just idlers for a chain i don’t see it being a huge deal with bearings 1/8 narrower. But that’s why I’m asking here because maybe I’m overlooking something.

Back