Think I killed my first bicycle rim

I’d just replace the rim. Loosen the spokes on the bad wheel and tape a new rim with similar ERD and width then transfer the spokes one by one. If you take your time and make small adjustments you will figure it out. Unless you hate doing that kind of thing. I get that too.

I’d just replace the rim. Loosen the spokes on the bad wheel and tape a new rim with similar ERD and width then transfer the spokes one by one. If you take your time and make small adjustments you will figure it out. Unless you hate doing that kind of thing. I get that too.
I've been doing this lately.

Good you didn't get hurt. My wife and I rode 19.4 miles all the way around out bike trail. I hit a patch between grass and the bike trail and wiped out doing about 5 mph. I hit the concrete but didn't get hurt. I feel lucky.

Good you didn't get hurt. My wife and I rode 19.4 miles all the way around out bike trail. I hit a patch between grass and the bike trail and wiped out doing about 5 mph. I hit the concrete but didn't get hurt. I feel lucky.
This is a good point. It's great any time you have a mishap with a big pothole or other road irregularity and don't get hurt. I hit a big road heave in 2008 going 25 and wiped out, ended up in the ER and subsequently wound care. Wound care, if you've never done it, is a horrible experience when you have to go 2-3x a week to get your wounds abraided. 20mg of Vicodin (4x prescribed dose) before the appointment didn't really help. That stuff hurts.

And in the rain. I wiped out in the rain on Thanksgiving morning (2022) coming around a traffic circle. It was my first crash since the one above in 2008, after tens of thousands of miles of riding. Bike went right out from under me and I hit down hard on my right leg. Fractured it right below the right knee and part of the way into the knee joint. Long recovery, still get some pain sometimes going up and down the stairs, or if I twist it just right. Feels pretty good on the bike thankfully. But I haven't done any longer rides since then either, mainly puttering around the neighborhood and adjacent neighborhoods 7-10 miles or so.

700c = 29 =622erd
650b = 27.5=584erd

27.5 never got very popular and is dying out in mountain bikes.

622 is not ERD, it is BSD aka "Bead Seat Diameter"

ERD is "Effective Rim Diameter" a measure of the distance between the ends of the spokes, roughly where your spoke nipples will be.

A 700C rim will usually have an ERD around 600-610.

I searched DuckDuckGo and I think this was the best article that explained the subject matter:

This is a good point. It's great any time you have a mishap with a big pothole or other road irregularity and don't get hurt. I hit a big road heave in 2008 going 25 and wiped out, ended up in the ER and subsequently wound care. Wound care, if you've never done it, is a horrible experience when you have to go 2-3x a week to get your wounds abraided. 20mg of Vicodin (4x prescribed dose) before the appointment didn't really help. That stuff hurts.

And in the rain. I wiped out in the rain on Thanksgiving morning (2022) coming around a traffic circle. It was my first crash since the one above in 2008, after tens of thousands of miles of riding. Bike went right out from under me and I hit down hard on my right leg. Fractured it right below the right knee and part of the way into the knee joint. Long recovery, still get some pain sometimes going up and down the stairs, or if I twist it just right. Feels pretty good on the bike thankfully. But I haven't done any longer rides since then either, mainly puttering around the neighborhood and adjacent neighborhoods 7-10 miles or so.
I am going to take it easy going forward. No high speeds over about 15 mph because those accidents happen really fast. I am too accustomed to riding my little Honda Monkey 125 with fat tires. You can hit a big pothole and not wipe out however a bike with skinny tires will not take much abuse. Good to hear you are still riding. Our weather in SD doesn't enable a person to ride very often. It's always too hot, cold, rainy, snowy or windy. It it's not that the smoke from the fires will get ya.

622 is not ERD, it is BSD aka "Bead Seat Diameter"

ERD is "Effective Rim Diameter" a measure of the distance between the ends of the spokes, roughly where your spoke nipples will be.

A 700C rim will usually have an ERD around 600-610.
You're correct. I knew that and whiffed it. BITD when I was building wheels most rims had almost identical profiles and erd was very close. Point was 700c = 29 and 650b = 27.5, mountain bikers want nothing to do with that roadie crap. They can barely tolerate that tubeless uses a Frenchie Presta valve stem. 😋

I quit riding on skinny tires years ago. If I still was it would be on a gravel bike.

I recently bought myself a Surly Bridge Club which I'm setting up 700c for pavement. I'll be running 41mm wide tires. Rim of choice will be a Velocity Cliffhanger. Bombproof rim. I have em on my Dahon folder on 20+". in 700c, they're 30mm wide and the ERD is 598.
ERD is what dictates your spoke length. You can measure it yourself with two spokes and two nipples. It's very easy.

Back