Bicycle at salvage auction. Buy it now $3150

the 2022 model goes for 7200$

Guessing its a lightweight carbon fiber trail bike.

Get that they're expensive, just shocked to see one at an insurance auction. Never knew you could get insurance on one, but makes sense.

LOL why is IAA selling a bicycle?

Edit:

It could’ve been involved in a collision with a car and they paid for it and had to do something with it, so off to IAA it goes. I worked in insurance and we paid for bikes that our insureds hit, whether they were being ridden or mounted on a bike rack.

I will stick with my low end 1991 Murray Sabre 26 inch mountain bike that I bought over twenty years ago at a garage sale for $10. It works well for me.
Murray Sabre.jpg

Beats me- I have no idea what this was or is, or how it has a Buy It Now price of $3150

2021 TRANSITION SCOUT X01 BUILD BICYCLE​

I dunno. If frame is cracked then near worthless. Very wary. If frame perfect? Maybe worth a bid. Wouldn't bid without detailed inspection. Seems like - let's see what it goes for.

• Actual Cash Value: $6,299 USD
Not sure it even was worth it new. But I did pay $5K for my custom carbon stumpy.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
If a carbon fiber frame was involved in a collision of any kind-it's toast-it's possible you can't see the cracks in photos. (that are now unavailable). My Son had a small crack in his-repair was VERY EXPENISE. Almost like an autobody shop.

If a carbon fiber frame was involved in a collision of any kind-it's toast-it's possible you can't see the cracks in photos. (that are now unavailable). My Son had a small crack in his-repair was VERY EXPENISE. Almost like an autobody shop.
This may be true but it depends on the severity of the collision. Just because you fall over or crash doesn't necessarily mean the frame is toast - if this were so, then thousands of carbon frame mountain bikes would be "toast" every time the rider takes a spill. Of course these frames are just fine. On the other hand, after a severe collision with a car then any frame should be discarded - not just carbon.

This may be true but it depends on the severity of the collision. Just because you fall over or crash doesn't necessarily mean the frame is toast - if this were so, then thousands of carbon frame mountain bikes would be "toast" every time the rider takes a spill. Of course these frames are just fine. On the other hand, after a severe collision with a car then any frame should be discarded - not just carbon.
The issue being is that the frame could very well be damaged and you couldn't visually tell-unless you put it under some sort of device. It's like having a scratch in a windshield-and only being able to see it with the light shinning a certain way-only we are talking about carbon fiber cracks. I and said collision-not a fall.

My dictionary says: Collision: (1) a crash; (2) A condition of opposition or conflict between two or more people or things

Thus, "collision" is a general term covering anything from a simple fall to running full speed into a solid object like a car or stone wall. Yet you said a collision "of any kind" means the frame is toast. This is incorrect. It's important to clarify that while a serious collision can damage the frame and the damage may not be evident to visual inspection, just because a carbon frame falls down or has a minor crash does not mean it's toast.

BTW this is not unique to carbon either. Metal frames can develop stress and fatigue cracks that are not always evident to visual inspection.

Back