How to prepare these corn beef briskets?

Don't remember the last time I've had any and don't think I've ever made one, but these were on sale, $1.99 and $3.49 a pound so I couldn't resist. What's the difference between point cut and flat cut and why is the latter that much less calories? What's the easiest way to prepare. The oven method seems pretty simple.

IMG_2189.JPG

It's a beef brisket. The point cut is the thin end of a brisket. The other is the regular brisket. However you want to cook them, cook them slow.

You can do it the traditional Irish-American way and boil it until the connective tissue breaks down and it's tender. In a pot with potatoes, carrots and, of course, cabbage.
You can even smoke it like a regular brisket. I'll do this because regular brisket has gotten so popular it almost never goes on sale anymore. I load up on corned beef brisket this time of year and freeze the excess.

The whole corned beef is two muscles, the flat and the point. They separate them and sell them separately. Flat is less fatty. We much prefer the flat cut over the point. We cook ours in the oven. We follow this recipe from Cook's:

To Bake, Oven Roast​

1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
  2. Remove meat from wrapper.
  3. Place Cook’s Corned Beef with juices, fat side up, in baking pan or casserole dish.
  4. Add 3/4 inch of water and contents of Cook’s spice packet for extra flavor, if desired.
  5. Cover tightly with a lid or foil.
  6. Bake at 325°F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until fork tender and an internal temperature of at least 160°F is reached.
  7. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
Slice off the fat cap and discard. Slice against the grain. We use either a fancy slicing knife or an electric knife. It will shrink a lot so you might only get a two or three meals out of each package.

The whole corned beef is two muscles, the flat and the point. They separate them and sell them separately. Flat is less fatty. We much prefer the flat cut over the point. We cook ours in the oven. We follow this recipe from Cook's:

To Bake, Oven Roast​

1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
  2. Remove meat from wrapper.
  3. Place Cook’s Corned Beef with juices, fat side up, in baking pan or casserole dish.
  4. Add 3/4 inch of water and contents of Cook’s spice packet for extra flavor, if desired.
  5. Cover tightly with a lid or foil.
  6. Bake at 325°F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until fork tender and an internal temperature of at least 160°F is reached.
  7. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
Slice off the fat cap and discard. Slice against the grain. We use either a fancy slicing knife or an electric knife. It will shrink a lot so you might only get a two or three meals out of each package.
Can I toss in a few raw beets and carrots alongside the meat? They won't cook faster and dry up?

Can I toss in a few raw beets and carrots alongside the meat? They won't cook faster and dry up?
Don't know about beets. Never cooked one. I think the carrots will get mushy that long in the pan enclosed with moisture. I'd look for a separate carrot/beets recipe.

Do this. You can thank me later.

Cook corned beef in 1 pint of Guinness dark beer and two cans of water. Add the pickling spice, don’t leave it out!! Add more water/beer in this ratio to cover. Cook 3-4 hours at a simmer until tender but not so tender that the meat falls apart if you try to lift it. For best flavor simmer the cabbage and red potatoes in the same beer broth with the meat during the last 1.5 hours of cooking

After corned beef is done, remove from liquid and pat slightly dry. Pre heat oven to 350°F.
Following glaze is from Joy of Cooking cookbook by Rombauer / Becker © 1975
Prepare a mix of the following in a small bowl:
1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon water
1 TEAspoon soy sauce
2 TEAspoons powdered paprika
½ TEAspoon powdered ginger

Using a pastry brush, coat the bottom and top of the drained corned beef with the glaze mixture. Save a little extra for the top. Yum!! Roast fat side up on a foil lined cookie sheet for 15 minutes or until the glaze is set. Remove from oven and allow the glaze to soak in about 5 minutes before slicing.

Enjoy!!!

We have corned beef just for sandwiches about 4 times a year. Wife uses both cuts depending on price. She tosses them in the slow cooker/crock pot for some hours. Served on Rye and she opens a can of saeurkraut, cheese, dressing and makes Reubens. I like mine on Rye with mustard and mayo. Easy-Peasy

You can do it the traditional Irish-American way and boil it until the connective tissue breaks down and it's tender. In a pot with potatoes, carrots and, of course, cabbage.
You can even smoke it like a regular brisket. I'll do this because regular brisket has gotten so popular it almost never goes on sale anymore. I load up on corned beef brisket this time of year and freeze the excess.
I prefer the point honestly and it’s usually cheaper anyway

I was going to say a deep pot on the stovetop with cabbage, onions, potatoes, carrots (celery optional) and a shallow layer of water simmering covered is probably the easiest and a lot of corned beef needs to boil a bit or it’s way oversalted anyway.

I’ve even cooked it with a quartered whole fennel vegetable and it tastes good that way as well

I have beets and maybe carrots and a can of this cabbage,

50216L_Glory-Seasoned-Country-Cabbage_090921-FRONT.png
Even if that is good, there’s no reason. Just get a head of cabbage for 69C and throw it in. A canned cabbage like that will be full of salt, and may affect the flavor of the corned beef.

Don't know about beets. Never cooked one. I think the carrots will get mushy that long in the pan enclosed with moisture. I'd look for a separate carrot/beets recipe.
Beets can throw an off soil like flavor into food.

Beets would be best cooked on their own or pickled into the sour kraute on their own.

Love beets but they are hard to cook with anything other than other beets or fry bacon and put them diced in with their own greens

Throw it in the crock pot with a couple of cans of cheap beer and slow cook. Don’t use Bud Light, it could change the meat into something unrecognizable.

Back