Bye bye Valvoline EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only problem is QSFS is now $22.97 I think we call this trickle up inflation.
$21.48 here … but I just bought 8 jugs M1/PP for an undisclosed price …

2BCAF299-5FE0-45E8-9833-5C439EC96036.jpeg

Do we see Mobil 1 or Pennzoil rebates anymore? Maybe rebates on other name brands?
I haven't bought oil in a few years and don't plan to pay full price next time.

Overall it's a lot more depending on OCI. I'm not challenging you on HPL as I've looked into them and I do believe they have a product above and beyond the average oil. But let's get to the issue. I'm using Mobil 1 EP and Pennz Plat in 5-30 at a cost of about $28 for 5 quarts. My OCI is 8k with a Fram Ultra filter. I'm not comfortable going past 8k so I don't feel HPL is providing me anything over Mobil 1 or Pennz Plat. Can you provide any data that proves it's better for the additional cost?

And I'm honest and open. You could make the same argument to me that many other oils that I mentioned could do the same with my parameters.
If you bought a 5 gallon bucket of @High Performance Lubricants PCMO, you’re at about $39/gallon, plus filter. That’s about a 67% increase over your current oil. If you did a UOA vs a drain @ 8-10k, there’s another $40. That makes your first oil change on HPL about the cost of two normal OCIs.

But your UOA showed you were fine out to 2x+ your 8k limit, and therefore now the HPL is equal cost or less compared to your normal oil, and it also saves you an extra trip under the car.

Not arguing, just fleshing out the opposite side of the discussion. Do what you feel treats your machine the best 👍🏻

If you bought a 5 gallon bucket of @High Performance Lubricants PCMO, you’re at about $39/gallon, plus filter. That’s about a 67% increase over your current oil. If you did a UOA vs a drain @ 8-10k, there’s another $40. That makes your first oil change on HPL about the cost of two normal OCIs.

But your UOA showed you were fine out to 2x+ your 8k limit, and therefore now the HPL is equal cost or less compared to your normal oil, and it also saves you an extra trip under the car.

Not arguing, just fleshing out the opposite side of the discussion. Do what you feel treats your machine the best 👍🏻
So if you’re not doing over longer drain intervals (5k miles and up) a premium oil (Valvoline, M1) wouldn’t be worth it?

So if you’re not doing over longer drain intervals (5k miles and up) a premium oil (Valvoline, M1) wouldn’t be worth it?
I personally don’t think so. If you’re dead set on super short intervals (B] for the engine in question was incapable of providing sufficient protection over those OCIs. There is plenty of data (dnewton3 has posted before on this IIRC) of people even exceeding 5k+ on conventional and having plenty of reserves in the oil’s performance.

Since I change the oil in my wife's car at 5,000 mile intervals, I'm going to have to move on to a new oil, probably Super Tech...I can't justify the price

7500 on the '22 Palisade
3400 on the '22 Accent
Did I say we have 100k miles our '22 somewhere?
Whoops......ha ha I did not have my glasses on and took the filter # for mileage.

I am dropping use of my favorite oil, Redline Performance 5w-30 Euro. It went from $12.95 a qt to 17.97 a qt. I can't justify $85 for an oil change. I just bought 3) 5 liter jugs of Motul 8100-Clean Gen 2 5w-40 on an Amazon special for $47 a jug, free shipping. My Kona uses 4 liters with filter.

Last edited:
Are you guys with the 5.7 Tundras using 0W20 or 5W30…. My 5.7 has been quite noisy lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back