Bye bye Valvoline EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I buy oil, it kind've depends on my mood when I get to the store that day haha. I have a jug of QSFS to go in my Z, and a jug of M1 to go in my Accord:D
I still have enough oil for 2 more changes (PPHM), but after that I'm thinking of going with SuperTech HM...We'll see.

Just bought my last jug and at that same price. I bought it because I had a half jug left over from previous change and will be using it all on my next change.
Will probably be going back to M1? Not sure.

If I had the choice, my smartphone wouldn't be made in China. Luckily, there are a lot of oil brands that are Western owned. Maybe one day devices will be made here, we can only hope

Give these guys a look if you like supporting American made products. They run some decent sales like $10 Tees, free shipping and 20% off if you sign up for email list.

I too try to support American manufacturing when it makes sense. Sometimes the lack of availability or price difference makes it difficult.

This vavoline extended protection is just money grab since it did justify more than $26.99 dollars I believe it oil will perfomance between advance formula oil modern engine formula.

What is your definition of not much more? only double or is that triple 🤫

Not that I dont like HPL but my 2.5L forester with 73HP/L will get along just fine on PP or rotella gas truck I picked up for pennies.
Now gear oil.. I might fork out for some HPL.
Good stuff costs. You can run HPL for a longer intervals, as well. It evens out.. I dislike the slight knocky sound before a 2.5 warms up.. if you're feeling spendy, maybe change all or most the fluids to HPL, I feel it helps contribute to a smooth ride. HPL makes a 75W-90 idk if it is the blue or green but they have. They also have ATF equivalent to the Idemitsu HP.

You use 5W-30?

It sounds like the extra protection or EP is to describe how much of it will still be on the shelves at Walmart being chilled by that air conditioning. Apparently they did not learn anything from Exxon Mobil when they had their annual protection oil at $50 a jug. Now I know there's a big difference between the two companies as far as quality and which one makes a better product but somebody who was marketing this should be kicked between the legs
As far as I know, Royal Purple is on the shelf for something like $32 if not $37 a bottle. That also is not much more.. when you know better, you do better. Those that stocked up on massive amounts of oils at a lower price should be commended here. Things still go on clearance etc.. and there you have the trifecta: Clearance oils (the new cheapest on the shelf since that always seems to be changing but is still $4.50 by the quart now,) everything else in the middle, then the Ultimate oils of HPL, AMSOIL, whatever your favorite Superbrew. The boxes of 6 quarts Texaco or Chevron may be the low price leader now, unless you are at Costco and they have their oil.

It doesn't seem to move off the shelf, the RP. I am surprised it stays there.

Could say that about any major brand.

Absolutely. I have had an affinity toward Mobil 1 since I was a kid just starting out. Cash is king though and I picked up about 50k worth of Pennz Plat 5-30 on the cheap. I'm about 6 weeks away from an OCI on 17 3.6 engine and will do a UOA to compare to Mobil 1. My driving patterns are pretty consistent. I expect the same vanilla results.

I wonder what's making Valvoline so expensive? Has it always been higher than the others?
I've been using Advanced since it changed from Synpower. Back then (2018?) at Wally it was $24.97 then it went on roll back to $21.97 and stayed there for quite a while except for a brief period when Amazon and Wally were having a price war on it, I think I paid $17.95 for a couple jugs from Amazon.

So it you take away the roll back it really hasn't increased any more than any other oil.

QSFS is $21 per 5 quart jug at Wm.
I found that you can usually get Quaker State oil for the same price as super tech maybe even a little bit less if you go by quarts at Walmart. The six quart box of Chevron Havoline stuff is probably the cheapest though. Curious if they still have the 12 quart box..... and if it's actually cheaper or if they just price it the same over larger quantity.

I advocate for some really good oils but sometimes they may not fix a problem i.e. oil consumption. They may.. they may not (via cleaning.) I presently have a mix of Mobil 1 0w40 and some Quaker State in my sump right now. My quest for an ideal oil, I call it fluid, everyone in here has a different mechanical device under their hood, different ways they use it and different places they live. Brings us back to the argument that an xW-20 or xW-30 is fine in both Texas heat and very cold climate, in very many majority of instances, whereas some focus on outliers that would buck the norm, to say if that's not true.. and it is not always true.. so, this is why there is no "best" oil and why we have so much discussion on the matter.

If my engine ran like butter on a pricey oil, I'd buy that. If it got past the rings or otherwise got used faster than I thought, I'd probably get cheapest oil unless cleaning helped. All this to say that, the $21 QSFS (unless Supertech is cheaper, 5000 mile?) could be an ideal oil, making Valvoline EP or HPL or anything else not the best choice.. To the point: I feel it is all relative.

18 price increases in 21 months on the wholesale level.

As well as perpetual shortages of additives for the last 18 months.

Grease supply consistently strained and short of product.

Yep, things are gonna get more expensive.

Absolutely. I have had an affinity toward Mobil 1 since I was a kid just starting out. Cash is king though and I picked up about 50k worth of Pennz Plat 5-30 on the cheap. I'm about 6 weeks away from an OCI on 17 3.6 engine and will do a UOA to compare to Mobil 1. My driving patterns are pretty consistent. I expect the same vanilla results.
So how many 5 qt jugs are in 50K- you leave open the possibility of having purchased $50K worth of 50K miles worth. :D:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back