Buying tires online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to buy a set in the next 2 to 4 weeks and wanted to know of the forums thoughts on Tread Depot and Tire Buyer, the latter offers free shipping.

Im only familiar with tirerack.com, usually they have the best price.on tires, you just tell them what shop to deliver them to. Ive used them 3 times with no issues.

Originally Posted By: smoky66
Getting ready to buy a set in the next 2 to 4 weeks and wanted to know of the forums thoughts on Tread Depot and Tire Buyer, the latter offers free shipping.

Even though I bought tires and rims online many times, if you shop around locally, many times after factoring in installation, a local shop will price match these online sites. In addition, you'll get free rotations typically if you go with a local shop.

If you have Discount Tire in your area, get the best price (shipping included) online then have them price match.

Buying tires from local will give you after sale services such as tire rotation, flat repair, mileage warranty pro-rate ...

Treadepot is one of the online places I check for a price match, but they charge tax to my state and their shipping prices are not always the lowest, so they are not the lowest total price.

Tirebuyer afaik, generally requires installation at an independent tire installer, and I've not found their prices to be the lowest online price.

The two online tire places most mentioned here are Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct. The former is an excellent place to research tires and get a total online price after shipping is added to the price. The latter, DTD, includes shipping in the total price so no need to figure anything else. Both places don't charge tax, to my state at least.

Check them both out to get a total price. DTD says they won't be undersold, so sometimes a call to them gets a pricematch.

Fwiw, today happens to be the last day of a $100 rebate promo on 'select tires' at DTD. $100 DTD Rebate Promo.

welcome2.gif

I bought 4 tires for my 911 from Tire Rack. all of them were out of round and required a lot of weight to balance. I would not buy from the again. I have found better deals locally.

I've bought from Discount Tire Direct twice.

My most recent set of tires was a set of Hankook H727. I paid $300 + $80 for local installation (yes, that INCLUDES free rotations and balance.) The local Hankook dealer wanted $650 plus tax for the H727 installed. I assumed there's no way they could come down $300 on price, so I didn't even bother.

I don't know why people always say you can't get free rotates and balances on internet tires, because at many shops you can. Just ask them for the lifetime balance.

Last edited:
I've bought from DTD once, and I'd easily do it again. Nobody would touch their price (I asked around). Only issue I could foresee was any warranty type claim. Got a local mount and balance for $7 a tire, and been happy.

Got my last set at Walmart and we are very pleased. Price was about $25 a tire cheaper out the door, plus I can get them rotated and balanced for free at any Walmart auto and tire center.
We were told by a local shop not to buy from Walmart because their tires were #2's. A few days later I followed the tire distribution truck from Walmart to this same shop, makes me question the shops word more than Walmarts tires.

Originally Posted By: hitmanharleyk
Got my last set at Walmart and we are very pleased. Price was about $25 a tire cheaper out the door, plus I can get them rotated and balanced for free at any Walmart auto and tire center.
We were told by a local shop not to buy from Walmart because their tires were #2's. A few days later I followed the tire distribution truck from Walmart to this same shop, makes me question the shops word more than Walmarts tires.

Not #2's but Walmart has special tires built for their stores, built to their specifications. Usually their specifications are price, so you will notice that they have goodyear brands that no other store carries. They aren't bad tires.

I've been buying tires online or over the phone for 15 years or so. Tire Rack and Discount Tire are the only two sources I trust and do business with. Tire Rack has buying resources that are extremely helpful that Discount just can't match, so unless Discount has a significantly cheaper delivered price I buy from the Tire Rack. Both have provided great service.

However, you never know when someone new is going to come along and bump Tire Rack and Discount Tire off the top of the hill.

Keith

....We were told by a local shop not to buy from Walmart because their tires were #2's. A few days later I followed the tire distribution truck from Walmart to this same shop, makes me question the shops word more than Walmarts tires.

I've heard that, too. Who knows ? Anyhow, seconds are tires with superficial blemishes that no one can really see. There is no way all the tires they sell are seconds.
WalMart & Sam's does sell tires "made to their specs", but so does a lot of places. Actually it's just tires with older tread patterns and technology. They're still good tires for a daily driver.

Keith

I've bought from TR, DTD and tires-easy.
Treadepot is offering $50.00 off four tires on 7/4.
You really have to select a tire or three that you'd be happy with and then shop a few of the onliners.
DTD doesn't charge shipping, but they do charge OH sales tax, so they are rarely less expensive at the bottom line of the invoive.
With the others, it will often depend upon what warehouse the tire ship from.
tires-easy was my pick for my last couple of buys, but that will vary constantly depending upon delivered price.
Another consideration is the cost of mounting/balancing/old tire disposal.
I have a shop locally that does very good work for $17.00 a corner all in, but that is pretty cheap by current standards.

One of the tires im looking at is the Kelly Explorer Plus for my old Chevy Lumina, Tread Depot $264.00,Tire Buyer $298.00 Discount Tire $325.00 for the SA4,Belle Tire $377.00 and one of the local shops $340.00. So ive got some looking around to do. My 2007 Impala needs a new set as well.

A local shop will install for $21.00, but the variations in price, are these old tires, factory seconds, its a concern.

Originally Posted By: smoky66
One of the tires im looking at is the Kelly Explorer Plus for my old Chevy Lumina, Tread Depot $264.00,Tire Buyer $298.00 Discount Tire $325.00 for the SA4,Belle Tire $377.00 and one of the local shops $340.00. So ive got some looking around to do. My 2007 Impala needs a new set as well.

Is the Discount Tire price the b&m DT store price? If so I'd totally ignore that online price as negotiation with DT/AT at the store is standard operating procedure to get your best price. And though I specifically answered the question regarding buying online, I agree with a previous poster that dealing directly with a b&m Discount Tire store is the best way to go. They will match or beat any total (including shipping) online price you will find, and follow it with excellent installation and service after the sale. Michigan has 56 stores so perhaps you live near one?

Curious what size tire you are shopping for?

Not to hijack, but is there any reason not to use a local shop?
Just curious.

I've bought online, but only as an absolute last resort. Most times, the price is the same. Some online sellers have reportedly poor customer service. A local shop normally wants you happy and works harder to make it so.

I have been purchacing tires on line for ~10 yrs now! I like both, DTD & TR.

I introduced friends to Treadepot and they love'em but, I have not used them yet. They always seem to be out of stock on the tires that I want and/or have a slightly higher OTD price. These friends have introduced me to TR. They have been buying tires online for 15 yrs.

These friends I speak of like T-depot's customer service, and delivery time. They also use DTD & TR as well. Best OTD price win everytime!
All 3 have good customer service, pricing, delivery. Depends on you ZIP!

There are lots of online tire stores and I use'em for comparison only. I may buy from them if the OTD price is right! I have not purchaced from the list below but, check them once in awhile.

TiresEasy
TireTeam
Mavis
Shopstreettires.com
etc.

In the end, I stay with what has worked for me!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Most times, the price is the same.

The local price hasn't been close to the price I paid on my two sets of DTD tires.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
....We were told by a local shop not to buy from Walmart because their tires were #2's. A few days later I followed the tire distribution truck from Walmart to this same shop, makes me question the shops word more than Walmarts tires.

I've heard that, too. Who knows ? Anyhow, seconds are tires with superficial blemishes that no one can really see. There is no way all the tires they sell are seconds.
WalMart & Sam's does sell tires "made to their specs", but so does a lot of places. Actually it's just tires with older tread patterns and technology. They're still good tires for a daily driver.

Keith

Walmart sells tires like the "goodyear viva" you wouldn't find at a goodyear dealer. If you show up at a goodyear dealer with one they won't warranty the tire, either: the warranty is through walmart itself.

They aren't blems and they're usually pretty fresh.

The tire distribution truck story reminds me of the gas tanker dropping at multiple stations story.
wink.gif
So what, multiple compartments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back